By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the TRUE hardcore games?

there aren't any 'hardcore' games, only hardcore gamers..... people who spend a lot of time playing games

Around the Network
ripper said:
there aren't any 'hardcore' games, only hardcore gamers..... people who spend a lot of time playing games

My point exactly
However hardcore gamers are more skilled than casual gamers and tend to have different taste and are pickier than the casuals, they don't go buy crap easily. The mainstream (the casuals) almost only buy games that are heavily promoted even if they are crap.

Hardcore gamers are people who buy and play games that require skill, games that are generally harder than most, games that don't appeal to all, games that have a following and are usually a franchise i.e Silent Hill :P and more than likely become a movie in the end :P rez Evil :D

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

damkira said:
Hardcore games are first-person shooters like Halo and Killzone!

This is what I'm talking about... =(

Video Game Papercrafts

The only reason Sakurai allowed Snake is because he was already a clone

Wii Friend Code: 2854 9908 3926 2816

bbsin said:

Yea, Hardcore gamers typically go from game to game. Whether they have mass appeal like GTA or are unpopular like ICO. I view "hardcore games" and "hardcore gamers" differently. Hardcore gamers play as many as games as possible and usually have a big library of software along with multiple consoles, they are typically early adopters. Hardcore games are games that have a very steep learning curve and demands alot of patience and hours from the gamer.

That's pretty much it. I would add hardcore games usually only appeal to a gamers is love that type of game. For example Supreme Commander

Around the Network

The most "hardcore" games of all are probably shmups. They require a very specific mindset to enjoy and excel at.

Another example of a "hardcore" game would be P.N.03 on Gamecube. If you're not vigilant, it will tear your heart out and feed it to you without a moment's notice.

In fact, that's probably what defines a "hardcore" game. The ability and willingness to forcibly remove your innards without warning. The absence of the hand-holding that has become so prevalent in modern games. Figuratively speaking, of course.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Hardcore gamers in my eyes, are those that devote a lot of their time to gaming. So in turn, IMO, a hardcore game is one thats steep learning curve or length pretty much forces you to devote that time to gaming. But in my view you can be a hardcore gamer without playing the generally accepted consensus of hardcore games.

This isn't the end all definition, but sometimes while playing old school games like Axelay, or Geometry Wars, I seem to enter a trance like state. My fingers just know what to do, even when my mind can't think that fast. Experiences like that are rare. I think games like that are hardcore.

RPG's, RTS's, well made platformers, and Metroid (except the ,still awesome, Fusion) games also fit the bill.

Space Invaders and all arcade machines! Retro = Hardcore

Just kidding... on topic I think its games that require (or play to) existing skills or have steep learning curve - and that tend to have strong community devoting a lot fo time. It's the titles that allow a subset of good players dominate with skills I would say.

I think the term seemed to spawn from online FPS games such as Quake / Doom / UT and Counter Strike. New players often didn't stand a chance against established hardcore players.

I guess games like GOW, COD4, Halo 3 seem like HC games, where to go online without skills is going to get you mashed down and likely insulted to boot.

Like most of these things its subjective, though. Some would argue WOW is HC because of time its players give it but it has shallow learning curve and has been designed to accomodate all levels of players so for me its not a harcore game as such.

Here is one screenshot from each of the three games I've been playing the most lately. I've put way over twenty hours during the last month in each of them.

I would dare say most "hardcore gamers" would find them incredibly boring, and go do something that requires less imagination and a shorter attention span. Except for Perfect Cherry Blossom anyway, since most people would probably find it frustratingly hard. That would make them casual gamers compared to me, right? =P