By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - POLL: Do you prefer linear or open-world RPGs?

Tagged games:

What type of RPGs do you prefer?

Linear 33 27.97%

Open-world 45 38.14%

Both 35 29.66%

See results 5 4.24%

Total:118
adriane23 said:
Linear that lets me explore the world. A good example of this would be Chrono Cross. I like the idea of an open-world RPG, but I haven't played a good one as of yet.

Hmm, might want to take a look at Dark Souls when it comes out. It's an open world game. At least, more open than it's predecessor Demon's Souls.

Around the Network
darkhaven63 said:
adriane23 said:
Linear that lets me explore the world. A good example of this would be Chrono Cross. I like the idea of an open-world RPG, but I haven't played a good one as of yet.

Hmm, might want to take a look at Dark Souls when it comes out. It's an open world game. At least, more open than it's predecessor Demon's Souls.

Yea I'm already anticipating a masterpiece in that game.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

It depends on the game..but usually i prefer open-world I guess.

i like exploring and collecting things. ....and stripping all the bandits in a cave, piling their corpses together, then covering them with spoons that ive looted from peoples homes.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

both!

but for the most part i would go with Linear

NOT TOO linear though lol

i prefer the type where you can actually explore a world map like ff7, ff8 and ff9

Around the Network

I like the story to be linear, but take place in an open world, like Dragon Quest and older Final Fantasy games.

We have this discussion too many times you just sugar coated it, in general what your asking us is do you like JRPG's or WRPG's

definitely JRPG's ... though theres nothing wrong with open world other than tend to have weak characterization

I enjoy both but Open world is just more fun for me.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

It's not only RPG's I prefer all linear games.

How's Demon's Souls linear? You can go pretty much wherever you go.

Anyway, I prefer when they are linear but with a degree of freedom or distraction, not FFXIII linear.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.