By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What The PS3's library would need to be ATLEAST comparable to the ps2's

V-r0cK said:
Acevil said:
V-r0cK said:
Xxain said:
it's needs to stop pretending to be a xbox and be playstation.

Wasnt the Xbox trying to be a Playstation first? Therefore the PS3 is still a Playstation.

Not really, Xbox was pushing what some people consider western gaming with added online experience. Now nothing wrong with someone using that formula, but like xxain said, playstation seemed to tone down the japanese gaming experience that made me love the brand. To me playstation has always been great source of both western and japanese game. While xbox is excellent at western gaming.

I may have been out of date, i just remember Xbox turning some of PS exclusives to a multiplatform level and as well trying to add alot of JRPGS as PS did once.  But very true the PS3 has toned down with Japanese gaming.  I miss it and hope that new Ghibli Studio game makes it over to the west.

Xbox 360 is trying to be a playstation

microsoft said that they were going after the PlayStation when this gen began

hell i remember most of their e3's talked about "PlayStation"

in 2008 all you heard at microsoft's E3 was playstation this playstation that. "we sold this much more than playstation", "securing title's like this from playstation" etc etc

xbox failed hard and when they came with the new xbox 360 they decided to launch before "PlayStation" not nintendo

and microsoft went for the "PlayStations" market because they wanted to be like "Playstation" and tried to secure all "playstations" game's

Now i must admit that microsoft has done a damn good job doing that. when you think about it most of the people that own xbox 360's are "PlayStation" fans or people from the "PlayStation" market beside's the fps/shooter fans that owned the original xbox

honestly PlayStation had no choice but to do some thing's like the xbox because really the xbox is just an undercover Playstation(well atleast it's trying to be)

Around the Network

i edited the list a bit

i forgot that some game's basically have equivalent's this generation like

onimusha=Ninja Gaiden

Indigo Prophecy=Heavy Rain

starwars battlefront=Force Unleashed

etc

Don't blame Playstation for the lack of Japanese games, blame Japan.

I wish there were more jRPGs as well.

But when there is a new generation of gamers that won't consider any thing that doesn't involve looking down a gunsight, it's a problem.

But I also think it was a problem with jRPG devs trying to fix what wasn't broken (especially SE with the FF series). Most jRPG players are looking for a good story and a memorable cast of characters than "innovations" or huge massive CGI sequences. Xenoblade is a good example of a jRPG done well.

Another problem with the genre is as graphics get better, the character designs come more to life. And as we see, lots of Western gamers are uncomfortable with male characters that don't have biceps the size of watermelons.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

PS3 has ire JRPGs then many Gamers in the west relies nut many stay in Japan same goes for PSP many many JRPGs but mostly Japan only. this ends to be because many are done with Manga graphics and are very Pop Culture influenced and are geared more to to Otaku then before. sadly the Otaku community is very much a nice community in the west so many RGs that come over don't sell well enough to Justify the cost of localization. and the ones that are not Manga based like most of Square Enix RPGs are very much super realisms with manga influence. As Final Evangelion said many on Otakudon't like non masculine look in male Characters.             

If you love JRPGs a lot just learn at lest basic Japanese and import you will be much happy as a Gamer I can ashore you

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Around the Network

I really am getting tired of seeing shooter games everywhere. But that doesn't mean I`ll settle for niche JRPGs from Japan that are received terribly in all regions and take two years to localize anyway. Final Fantasy XIII made me realize how starved I was for a great RPG even though I still LOVED the game..... I miss having to choose what RPG I wanted on the PS2. On the PS3, it's either FF or White Knight Chronicles basically. Not much to think about when choosing between those to purchase.

hikaruchan said:

PS3 has ire JRPGs then many Gamers in the west relies nut many stay in Japan same goes for PSP many many JRPGs but mostly Japan only. this ends to be because many are done with Manga graphics and are very Pop Culture influenced and are geared more to to Otaku then before. sadly the Otaku community is very much a nice community in the west so many RGs that come over don't sell well enough to Justify the cost of localization. and the ones that are not Manga based like most of Square Enix RPGs are very much super realisms with manga influence. As Final Evangelion said many on Otakudon't like non masculine look in male Characters.             

If you love JRPGs a lot just learn at lest basic Japanese and import you will be much happy as a Gamer I can ashore you

idk about that lol

the main game i was thinking about importing was Tales Of Vesperia and there is a english patch currently being made for Vesperia ps3 so i will most likely import it then

here's an example

skeleton_fingers said:
I really am getting tired of seeing shooter games everywhere. But that doesn't mean I`ll settle for niche JRPGs from Japan that are received terribly in all regions and take two years to localize anyway. Final Fantasy XIII made me realize how starved I was for a great RPG even though I still LOVED the game..... I miss having to choose what RPG I wanted on the PS2. On the PS3, it's either FF or White Knight Chronicles basically. Not much to think about when choosing between those to purchase.

there is also Eternal Sonata and Star Ocean:The Last Hope

im just mainly waiting for Tales Of Xillia and Ni No Kuni.

If i recall correctly, apart from FF and DQ games the next biggest PS2 jrpg seller was Star Ocean Till the end of time with about 1.6 M a fair drop off,so large sales where the domain of the very few.
Production cost as impacted many games this gen but especially turned based rpg's one reason being that the genre didn't have the sales base apart from the aforementioned big hitters to sustain the increased cost's of making these games at a similar scale to there predecessors another reason was the strength and lower costs of hand held
gaming ,exacerbated even further by being felt strongest in jprpg's home market.
so you had a choice of either making a HD game with it's cost of not just money but also time and resources going from a large market to what was a small market at the time and with the PS3 in particular a lot of negativity
surrounding it or you could alleviate that risk by putting your games on the DS-PSP thus alleviating that risk some what, or if lucky be subsidised by MS not a long term strategy and you could turn to the PS3 latter on , that last part will probably turnout to be, go to the vita.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

enditall727 said:
hikaruchan said:

idk about that lol

the main game i was thinking about importing was Tales Of Vesperia and there is a english patch currently being made for Vesperia ps3 so i will most likely import it then

here's an example

don't wait if you love TOV just get it now it's already 2 years old on PS3 no point in waiting 2 more years. I have had it since it released in September 2009 loved every moment of my first playthough. I have many friends that import and can't speak a word of Japanese and they play the game with no problems because of on line tutorials and very basic Japanese skills.

trust me you and many others will be much happier if you just import all your JRPGs instead of waiting and hoping for a local release that may never come.it was my love of Japanese Pop Culture from age 5 made me go out 8 years ago and learn Japanese. if you don't wont to learn Japanese fully then basic is all you need fr import Gaming.      

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku