By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Sony don't try to bring RTS genre on the PS3.

There are two significant issues with RTS on consoles:

1) Keyboard and mouse. PS3 goes a long way to solving this problem, but a game still can't be programmed around the M/KB combo because there will be far too many people playing the game with a simple controller. Solution: again, the PS3 has this problem solved more than the 360 does, but neither is complete. Next generation, either include M/KB as standard, or create a controller with more buttons and/or sophisticated motion control.

2) Technical limitations: none of the consoles are technically ready for high end RTS games, and we're already seeing several games in the genre (most notably Supreme Commander) have already outreach what the 360 can achieve, and thus outreached the PS3 even further, as the 360 has a superior RAM setup. This isn't a solvable  problem this generation, and next generation it will be important to up the amount of RAM included. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

I would have to be convinced that the 360's hardware is as superior as you say when it comes to RTSes, Bod, except that in the case of PC-to-console ports, the fact that the 360 has much more similar hardware than the PS3 outweighs all else.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

They should of brought AoE3 to the consoles, that game uses very little PC power, i have a P4, 1gb ram, and a x700 and can play the game on max settings and get a constant 15 FPS, the PS3 blows this away.

I'm also one of the guys who played C&C on the PS1 and the game was great and sold well, i also owned starcraft on the 64, it had some slowdowns but the game played very well.

As long as it's keyboard and mouse compatible, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. Unless of course I want it and it's already out on PC.

If there are controller RTS's on the 360, then I don't see the problem with them on the PS3 with a keyboard and mouse being optional. It would probably be expensive and confusing to the average Joe, but there could be a guitar hero type thing with a keyboard and mouse bundled with a highly anticipated and hyped RTS.

the PS3 could work for the genre but sadly devs wont take time to make M&K controls as not everyone has a USB M&K.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

There are two significant issues with RTS on consoles:

1) Keyboard and mouse. PS3 goes a long way to solving this problem, but a game still can't be programmed around the M/KB combo because there will be far too many people playing the game with a simple controller. Solution: again, the PS3 has this problem solved more than the 360 does, but neither is complete. Next generation, either include M/KB as standard, or create a controller with more buttons and/or sophisticated motion control.

2) Technical limitations: none of the consoles are technically ready for high end RTS games, and we're already seeing several games in the genre (most notably Supreme Commander) have already outreach what the 360 can achieve, and thus outreached the PS3 even further, as the 360 has a superior RAM setup. This isn't a solvable  problem this generation, and next generation it will be important to up the amount of RAM included. 

not true.If you have enough horsepower less ram is needed. As for the360's ram setup being better. Thats not true as the PS3 has faster ram. Another thing is that if devs can figure out wtf they are doing when coding they can manage to pull graphics better looking then Uncharted so translate less overall beauty to more effects on screen and bingo you have a supreme commander level rts running.

but your first point is the major issue for the entire genre. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

My only point is why sony is not giving a try in this genre.. i mean its pretty popular and has lot of following... may be they don't need to build something as complex as latest command & conquer 3, or Rome or supreme commander, as their first project..

rather i will rather like to have something simple, easy and fun like Dune 2. it was so much fun playing it...

So any rumour of any such game coming onto PS3.?

Final-Fan said:
I would have to be convinced that the 360's hardware is as superior as you say when it comes to RTSes, Bod, except that in the case of PC-to-console ports, the fact that the 360 has much more similar hardware than the PS3 outweighs all else.

It's a pretty simple problem:

Just as FPS tend to be GPU-hungry (on a PC, a system with a great CPU and RAM will struggle mightily with a game like Bioshock if it has a moderately good graphics card, but that isn't nearly as true the other way around), RTS tend to be RAM hungry. Very RAM hungry, for an obvious reason: in modern RTS, there are frequently 100+ autonomous units moving around on screen. 

In addition to the reason you named (PC and 360 have similar architectures), the fact that the 360 has 512 MB of unified RAM is a very distinct advantage for this genre in particular.  The other genre that requires a ton of RAM is MMOs, which is why I suspect we won't see a serious MMO endeavor on consoles until next generation.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:
Final-Fan said:

It's a pretty simple problem:

Just as FPS tend to be GPU-hungry (on a PC, a system with a great CPU and RAM will struggle mightily with a game like Bioshock if it has a moderately good graphics card, but that isn't nearly as true the other way around), RTS tend to be RAM hungry. Very RAM hungry, for an obvious reason: in modern RTS, there are frequently 100+ autonomous units moving around on screen. 

In addition to the reason you named (PC and 360 have similar architectures), the fact that the 360 has 512 MB of unified RAM is a very distinct advantage for this genre in particular.  The other genre that requires a ton of RAM is MMOs, which is why I suspect we won't see a serious MMO endeavor on consoles until next generation.

Bod you have a very logical and accurate point... i m programmer myself and i can say that this will be a big problem for bringing this genre on PS3... but as i said in my previous post that they don't need to bring the latest and greatest title on PS3, rather go back a little in time and find some less heavy titles for PS3...

actually the problem will arise only when the number of units go beyond a limit... so most games even on PC have limit like 200 or less units.. so they can also make minimise this limit to something like 70 or 80 ... Although i do think with clever bit of programming and coding they can further increase the limit but it is not going to be of much worth in extra expense and effort... and obviously by reducing a bit on the unit graphics they can save lot of RAM...

As i said in my previous post why not go back to even Dune 2 as a first port just to see if the genre is worth bringing onto the PS3. Just my suggestion

btw it is a bit puzzling for me why they saved on RAM in PS3 when they were going much over board on every other area... :)

Please just leave RTS to PCs. It's my favorite genre, and it pains me every time they butcher an RTS game by porting it to the PC.