By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop Pulled, Discarded Free OnLive Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coupons (Opened the new copy, removed and discarded free content and sold it as new anyways :O)

Tagged games:

Square-Enix: "If you want to buy Deus Ex: Human Revolution for full price with the coupons removed, buy it at GameStop, lol"

UPDATE:

Square Enix sent over an official statement:

"As part of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's boxed offering on PC, Square Enix included a third party coupon. GameStop was not made aware of this inclusion and Square Enix respects the right of GameStop to have final say over the contents of products it sells and to adjust them where they see fit in accordance with their policies.

Square Enix invites gamers who want to purchase the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution without additional coupons to buy the game at any one of over 4000 GameStop stores in North America or purchase a digital download copy online from www.gamestop.com."

Source: http://worthplaying.com/article/2011/8/24/news/83002/

I wonder why they're still selling the game since they're also advertising Steam with it, another competitor (The game has to be activated on steam).

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Around the Network
Jdevil3 said:

Square-Enix: "If you want to buy Deus Ex: Human Revolution for full price with the coupons removed, buy it at GameStop, lol"

UPDATE:

Square Enix sent over an official statement:

"As part of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's boxed offering on PC, Square Enix included a third party coupon. GameStop was not made aware of this inclusion and Square Enix respects the right of GameStop to have final say over the contents of products it sells and to adjust them where they see fit in accordance with their policies.

Square Enix invites gamers who want to purchase the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution without additional coupons to buy the game at any one of over 4000 GameStop stores in North America or purchase a digital download copy online from www.gamestop.com."

Source: http://worthplaying.com/article/2011/8/24/news/83002/

I wonder why they're still selling the game since they're also advertising Steam with it, another competitor (The game has to be activated on steam).

You know they are only doing this shit because it's game with low expected sales.

Activision could put a flyer saying ' stop shopping at gamestop' in every CoD box and Gamestop would sell the game and act like nothing is wrong........

Still it's kind of amazing that every week Gamestop does something new to anger publishers and customers.

I can't wait for the digital age.

I was sorry when Kindle and co made Border go bankrupt but lets face it, I will dance on Gamestop's grave...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Gamespot you cheap bastard....Makes me wonder if they re-wrap used games and sell them for new!!
I'm so glade I stopped buying games from them

I don't understand. So the coupon in the game was for the same game just from OnLive? Why would the coupon be useful if it's for a free copy of the game you just purchased... unless you want a second copy for free? What am I not getting?

EDIT: Nevermind, I get it now.

Ail said:

You know they are only doing this shit because it's game with low expected sales.

Activision could put a flyer saying ' stop shopping at gamestop' in every CoD box and Gamestop would sell the game and act like nothing is wrong........

Still it's kind of amazing that every week Gamestop does something new to anger publishers and customers.

I was sorry when Kindle and co made Border go bankrupt but lets face it, I will dance on Gamestop's grave...

I think I'm glad there aren't any Gamestops in my country. If we ever have a digital only age, I hope we have better internet speeds here when that happens because I have to wait 20 to 40 minutes to download 100 MB patches for games... Downloading 10+ GB Games would be a pain :P. If we go into full digital age, gamestop will probably still be around but as a Digital service instead of physical stores. This move into digital age is causing some fights like this one in which gamestop removed the Onlive coupons or the one in which Battlefield 3 can't be purchased from Steam, you have to buy it from EA's Origin instead.

It's like everyone wants to have their own DD service and sell their games from there instead of using a unified service for everyone. Maybe in a few years if you want a Square-Enix game you'll have to buy it from SE's DD service, if you want a Ubisoft game you buy it from their DD service, if you want an EA game you buy it from their service, etc.

That would be quite a mess :P

Anyways, even though there aren't any Gamestops here and I've never been to one, the stuff I hear from people in the internet about them made me sort of hate Gamestop and I'd be happy if they went under, too :P Bad for the people who lose their jobs though.

And yeah, they probably wouldn't do anything if this happened with a game like CoD.

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

Around the Network
Jdevil3 said:
Ail said:

I think I'm glad there aren't any Gamestops in my country. If we ever have a digital only age, I hope we have better internet speeds here when that happens because I have to wait 20 to 40 minutes to download 100 MB patches for games... Downloading 10+ GB Games would be a pain :P. If we go into full digital age, gamestop will probably still be around but as a Digital service instead of physical stores. This move into digital age is causing some fights like this one in which gamestop removed the Onlive coupons or the one in which Battlefield 3 can't be purchased from Steam, you have to buy it from EA's Origin instead.

It's like everyone wants to have their own DD service and sell their games from there instead of using a unified service for everyone. Maybe in a few years if you want a Square-Enix game you'll have to buy it from SE's DD service, if you want a Ubisoft game you buy it from their DD service, if you want an EA game you buy it from their service, etc.

That would be quite a mess :P

Anyways, even though there aren't any Gamestops here and I've never been to one, the stuff I hear from people in the internet about them made me sort of hate Gamestop and I'd be happy if they went under, too :P Bad for the people who lose their jobs though.

And yeah, they probably wouldn't do anything if this happened with a game like CoD.

Yeah that's the issue with PC but on others medium it is kind of unified ( only one way to get your downloads from on Xbox, Playstation or Iphone).

And we won't go full digital but it will be like PC, you can still get your physical copy if you want but the used market will shrink a lot. 

If you go to Gamestop and they hand you a new, but opened box... just don't buy it... very simple.

Okay, let's have a look at Gamestop's options in this situation:

1. Sell a game with competitor's coupon included.

2. Remove said coupon

3. Turn away paying customers

Option 1 is a bad business decision, the other 2 are sure to anger customers. There was no winning for Gamestop here, Square Enix kind of screwed them with this. Anyone who's not blinded by paranoid conspiracy theories can see there wasn't much they could do. ("oh noooo they opened my BOX man, my BOX!") I'm sure gamestop employees everywhere are taking this opportunity to scratch your discs. Stop being so ridiculous.

Lets face it they are only doing this because Onlive is small and Deus Ex will have low sales..
If they were so worried about competing services they would not daily sell software that requires Steam or Ea Origins Activation like they do...............

It's amazing how blind some of these sheep are.