By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS VITA: Operating System detailed,Applications BIG!!!

disolitude said:
Looks like sony might have their shit togetehr at launch for once.

However while its nice that they are comparing it to a PSP screen resolution which is 6 years old but in terms of modern screens its really not THAT impressive.

960x544 at 5 inches has a pixel density of 220 dpi.
My year old LG Windows phone 7 which uses the middle of the road 800x480 resolution at 3.8 inches 2.45 dpi.

Something like Iphone 4 or any high end cell phone device coming out in 2011 is quite a bit higher than Vita screen res.

But who knows, maybe the contrast and response is class leading. 120hz refresh rate maybe?? :)

1. We don't really know what's the max dpi for oled factories at the moment (i'd say it's unlikely they can do anything denser at this point of time)

2. If they used IPS display like apple does it would kill battery life, also OLED offers perfect blacks  (which automatically gives it contrast ratio of high end plasma screens) and absolutly no ghosting, would it be worth it for more pixels on the same screen ?

3. 120 Hz would need to be rendered - that means another drop in battery life (like 3DS suffers due to doubled resolution for 3D display)

4. 120 Hz and/or higher resolution means you need more powerfull hardware to render them at same details (which wouldn't fit into power budget and again kill battery life as well as drive price higher) and afaik 4 cores ARM and gpus used in vita are top end of what you can buy today.

Just imho but higher resolution is simply not possible at this moment for gaming handheld (phones can get away with much worse graphics and 500-600 $ price tags)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

Wow, this looks amazing.

I am so happy with SONY, not a single fuck up so far in this what is looking to be a perfect console launch.

the only fuck up is that they dont release the console in the west this year.

the resolution is fine, you have to keep in mind that it is just an 5" screen. i doubt anyone could really see the difference between an 5" 960x544 display and 5" 1080p (i know overkill but just for comparison if it would exist) display

Heavenly_King said:
@SLIDE 1: I saw a GOD OF WAR II icon....WTF!!!! So the PSVITA is compatible with the HD releases ..mmm interesting......It looks like from here on, if I can buy a "PS3 HD Sony Collection game" online, I will do, it so I can play it also in the VITA. :D

That's just a mock up braw. HD Collection games WILL NOT be compatible with vita.

Dude nice find!

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

Holy shit, thats some advanced stuff! but from this information, playstation vita might just be the perfect handheld console. reasonable launch prices. not to hard to develop on. decent game support. i could go on.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

The only thing it needs now is the ability to read PDFs and it's perfect.

silicon said:
The only thing it needs now is the ability to read PDFs and it's perfect.

Yep then it could be full replacement for tablets.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

I hope it will be easy to port user created apps like those found in Apple Itunes and Android Market. It will increase functionality and much better than waiting for Sony to feed up with all the apps. And one less excuse to "hack" this thing to play say mkv files