By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony price cuts - PS3 $249, PSP €99 (Europe)

slowmo said:
Why does the number one selling console ww need to cut at such a quiet time of the year?

It's gonna need that price cut come this holiday when it's the weakest.

Around the Network

After price cut the PS3 jumped from 22th to 4th place in amazon best sellers.

BHR-3 said:
great job sony

you just handed 2nd to MS

first you cut the price to early will wear off by time UC3 MW3 BF3 ect releases second you didnt even cut enough noone wants a $250 PS3 they want a $200 one, i mean gosh you striped the hell out of the damned thing no B/C, no touch sensitive buttons, only 2 usbs (MS gots like what 5?! where does sony want us to plug are camera in? in the front so the wire shows and looks all ugly) and now gone are the leds all thats left i think is just one tiny one for the power indicator and HDD.

i believe there going to get crushed by MS they will go to $150 and $250 near gears launch so things will be the same as they were last holiday season

Early price drop worked quite nicely for Wii when it went from 250 to 200 and big games followed few months later.

Through i'm not sure if sony played their cards well.

If 200$ was impossible they should have bundled killzone 3 into that 250$ SKU.

That would make package more attractive, get them some DLC sales and give people title which nicely uses 3D and move to push controlers and that new TV.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

d21lewis said:
Unexpected. I thought Sony was out-selling its competition on a global scale. I guess they want to take the U.S.A., too!

With SONY's exclusive line-up in 2012, I don't think they are getting the sales they deserve right now. SONY are at the top of their game and Microsoft are slacking, yet right now the sales just seem to be staying the same.

Anyway, that's a sexy price-point, it's not as good as $199 but I guess SONY would be going into the red zone if they do that. 249 Euros / Dollars translates very nicely into £199. It will be the same price as Vita as well.

Obviously we all would have liked the cut to be more. But I think a large part of this is ensuring room to cut in the face of WiiU next year.

I don't think Sony, or Microsoft, want to drop a new console next year, with both preferring to hold out until at least 2013. The ability to drop to $179-199 next year is a handy tool for Sony.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

Importers, the Tales of Xillia PlayStation 3 just got a little cheaper. Following the news about the worldwide 160 GB PS3 price cut, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan announced they will also drop the price of the limited edition Tales of Xillia themed console.

This specially designed console was supposed to retail for 37,980 yen ($495). Sony shaved 5,000 yen ($65) off the price making the Tales of Xillia PS3 32,980 yen ($430). This model has a 160 GB hard drive and a copy of Tales of Xillia.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/17/sony-also-cuts-price-of-tales-of-xillia-ps3/

brendude13 said:
d21lewis said:
Unexpected. I thought Sony was out-selling its competition on a global scale. I guess they want to take the U.S.A., too!

With SONY's exclusive line-up in 2012, I don't think they are getting the sales they deserve right now. SONY are at the top of their game and Microsoft are slacking, yet right now the sales just seem to be staying the same.

Anyway, that's a sexy price-point, it's not as good as $199 but I guess SONY would be going into the red zone if they do that. 249 Euros / Dollars translates very nicely into £199. It will be the same price as Vita as well.

D21, get ready to start using your slogan again. It's all gonna repeat next year.

Jay520 said:
brendude13 said:
d21lewis said:

D21, get ready to start using your slogan again. It's all gonna repeat next year.

Hahaahaaha funny. Fortunately its a good thing for us.

Though I was hoping for a larger price cut I think it's finally reached mass market price. And while I believe the impact will be felt least in the Americas, I can see Sony outperforming the X-Box by a good margin elsewhere.

In Australia for instance we just received a $150 price cut for the PS3!!! ($500>>$350)
Safe to say the sales will be huge in this country at least.

BenVTrigger said:
Gotta say I'm surprised. I really thought they would cut early next year so they could try to recoup their massive debt from the PS3's first couple years and R&D costs. They must have really brought down how much it costs to make the console. yea i wonder by how much? i think PS4 will be cost effective while ambitious, and if things go right in the 8th gen then Sony may keep PS4 the same price (expected launch price $249-$349)for 5 yrs while realeasing a cost effective console. 

Well that means a X360 cut is imminent now. There goes that prediction i had : no not necessaraly if your prediction is for 360 to not cut price 2011 then you may still have a chance. i personaly don't expect them to cause i don't see the need. MS may sell even to PS3 even without a price cut. i don't see the need and i don't think MS sees one either. its money maken time for MS.