By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wipeout HD - it's not fun

Im glade I got LBP and DeadNation, errrrrrr maybe not LBP so much, for my free games

Around the Network

It's okay. Noting great.

I love wipeout for the racing, but at the same time hate it for the weapons. My favorite versions are where you can turn the weapons off. I just want to get in the zone and do perfect laps, mesmerized by the track and music. At some point you don't think about what you need to do anymore, you just zoom along enjoying the sights and sounds, it's a great experience.
Actually it has a lot of similarities with DDR in gameplay. Playing that on expert is also about letting your body do the work without interfering. Clear your mind.

I played wipeout HD without using the weapons but at some point I couldn't get above bronze anymore for speed laps and time trials. (before they patched in easy mode for those) Then I finally figured out that you get a boost each round in the weapon slot, doh. Turned bronze right into gold.
It's still annoying that the xp you earn relies mostly on the damage you do, so it takes me forever to unlock upgrades without using weapons.

Wipeout fury was disappointing for me. More focus on the combat I hate. Combat only breaks up the trance like state you get from racing.

Yey for the most successful thread I made :). I should start complaining about other games too.

I did some research (button mapping - but I won't change the airbreaks, using the airbreaks and sideslide) and I will give the game and me two more chances. After that I will conclude whether I will like it or not. Last night I didn't have the time to put in some laps, so no update there.

It is interesting though that some of you are not convinced by the game just like me, even if you do not think that novice is frustrating :).

o_O.Q said:
Chrizum said:
ithis said:

I got the game as a PSN wellcome back game, since I heared good things about it and I am a racing fan.

According to the statistics from the game I ran some 287 laps of various circuits, a total of 3+ hours of effective racing (since the laps are quite short), all on campaign mode, all on Novice. I estimate that 80% of that was frustration, 15% meh and 5% fun. There should not be 89% frustration on novice. Even admitting that I am awfull at this game, there should not be this amount of frustration on novice. If I were a game reviewer, I would be tempted to cathegorize this as trash based on 10% of the game, so that I don't have to play it anymore.

How can I enoy this game?

You are obviously a casual and therefore you don't deserve to enjoy this game. Also, it's not about fun but about 1080p @ 60fps!

i completely agree this game isn't about fun its all about graphics... i mean how could any game not made by nintendo ever be fun?

Exactly my point, thanks for understanding!

Around the Network

I didn't like it either, I even have one of the PS1 copies and I feel the same way about that one as well. People love the series though, don't really know why except for how pretty it is, but I guess it's just me and you.

I'd also like to add that I got Dead Nation from the welcome back package and I finished the whole game, it was pretty great.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Honestly, it's not an easy game. People who suck at racing games may have a hard time. To me, it's an amazing racing game, and Wipeout is one of the best racing franchises. It has a learning curve. Just because you can't handle it doesn't mean it sucks.

Agreed. FZero GX for me all the way.

It was hard, but oh so fun.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Machina said:

Woah, so many negative views of WipEout HD in this thread, I'm quite shocked! It's probably my favourite downloadable game of the generation so far.

The game having a Platinum trophy confirms the fact it's not a downloadable game, only a game that's downloadable

Games like Wipeout HD, ironically, work better on standard definition TVs.

If you're playing it on a HDTV I imagine there's a good bit of input lag, which for games like F-Zero and Wipeout (and fighting games) is murder.

Basically input lag is the time it takes the picture to go from your console to the TV. The TV has to resize the image and put it through post-processing. In a sense, what you're seeing on the screen is happening in the past. If you play a Wii on an HD TV and you try to jump at the absolute edge of a ledge and fall down, there's actually a really good chance it's input lag from the TV. Game mode gets rid of some of the post-processing, but not all of it. In some models game mode actually adds to input lag.

You won't notice it in some games, but you'll definitely notice it in genres like futuristic racing and fighting. If you move your console to a standard def TV you'll notice the difference in responsiveness right away.

At least I hope it's this. I refuse to believe people can think bad things about Wipeout.