By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Republican or Democrat?

Kantor said:
Viper1 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

agreed. i may like Ron but that doesn't mean he's the guy that can get the job done. we will see as the debate goes on into the election.

You got anybody else in mind that has the integrity and voting record to back up what he says?  

After Paul, I see a bunch of neo-cons and bandwagon riders. 

Gary Johnson is a less crazy (but unfortunately less popular) version of Ron Paul. My personal favourite is Rudy Giuliani, but he hasn't announced that he will run, and it's not even being widely speculated. The nomination will go to either Romney (whom I still like MUCH more than most of the Republican field) or those nutcases Cain, Palin and Bachmann.

Ron Paul is an extremist. He has the right idea, but he takes it so far as to make it ludicrous. He opposed raising the debt ceiling when there were two days left before the Treasury ran out of money (yes, the final deal was terrible, but only because all of the Democrats were screaming "Don't touch Medicare!" and the Republicans screamed back "No tax increases!).

This whole debt debacle cemented my belief that both parties are led by childish individuals who put their own bank accounts and positions of office above the interests of the American people.

That said, I will give the slight edge to the Democrats at the moment, only because Obama is very slightly better than Boehner and his lot (and because the Tea Party are the most dangerous force in the country).

Just curious what makes them so dangerous in your view?

Around the Network
badgenome said:
dsage01 said:
maximus22 said:
Wow I always thought Canadians were less misinformed and ignorant of American issues than the rest of the world. This is one of the saddest rants I've ever seen.

Nah we Canadians know about the whole world. While from what I've seen American's think U.S.A = World or the only existing country in this planet

That's a bold claim to make when you seem to know pathetically little about the one country that neighbors yours.

I know pathetically little? The issues I addressed are usually foreseen by American's for the good. But those are the three goddamn things that are a big reason for America's state right now. 

mrstickball said:
Kantor said:

Gary Johnson is a less crazy (but unfortunately less popular) version of Ron Paul. My personal favourite is Rudy Giuliani, but he hasn't announced that he will run, and it's not even being widely speculated. The nomination will go to either Romney (whom I still like MUCH more than most of the Republican field) or those nutcases Cain, Palin and Bachmann.

Ron Paul is an extremist. He has the right idea, but he takes it so far as to make it ludicrous. He opposed raising the debt ceiling when there were two days left before the Treasury ran out of money (yes, the final deal was terrible, but only because all of the Democrats were screaming "Don't touch Medicare!" and the Republicans screamed back "No tax increases!).

This whole debt debacle cemented my belief that both parties are led by childish individuals who put their own bank accounts and positions of office above the interests of the American people.

That said, I will give the slight edge to the Democrats at the moment, only because Obama is very slightly better than Boehner and his lot (and because the Tea Party are the most dangerous force in the country).

You are forgetting someone.

Rick Perry is the likely nominee now. He's within 2% of Romney and hasn't even declared. He has too much going for him to lose to Romney, and isn't quite as nutty as Bachmann.

Otherwise, I agree with you.

Well he does have the whole "Texas has created way more jobs then any other state in the US, and I ran Texas" thing going for him when the number one issue in the election is almost certaintly going to be "we need jobs."

mrstickball said:
dsage01 said:

Do you think everyone can get a job at Mcdonalds?

Yes. Unless you are actively murdering people, or have threatened to burn down said establishment, you can get a job at McDonalds.

Or better yet, you could get a job at Wal-Mart. They hire anyone, and pay out a bit better than Mickey-D's. Two people working 40hrs/wk at Wal-Mart will likely make $45,000/yr or greater once they've been there for a few years.

45,000k only comes after almost 10 years. And what if they have a kid or two. Then it becomes almost impossible to live. And you usually start off with only 15-18k. 

dsage01 said:
badgenome said:
dsage01 said:
maximus22 said:
Wow I always thought Canadians were less misinformed and ignorant of American issues than the rest of the world. This is one of the saddest rants I've ever seen.

Nah we Canadians know about the whole world. While from what I've seen American's think U.S.A = World or the only existing country in this planet

That's a bold claim to make when you seem to know pathetically little about the one country that neighbors yours.

I know pathetically little? The issues I addressed are usually foreseen by American's for the good. But those are the three goddamn things that are a big reason for America's state right now. 

Well, the real shame isn't that you know don't know anything, it is that you don't know anything and think you do. "America's going down the tubes because Republicans hatez teh poor pplz!" Seriously? Come the fuck on. That line of argument isn't even worthy of a YouTube comment.

Around the Network
dsage01 said:
mrstickball said:
dsage01 said:

Yes. Unless you are actively murdering people, or have threatened to burn down said establishment, you can get a job at McDonalds.

Or better yet, you could get a job at Wal-Mart. They hire anyone, and pay out a bit better than Mickey-D's. Two people working 40hrs/wk at Wal-Mart will likely make $45,000/yr or greater once they've been there for a few years.

45,000k only comes after almost 10 years. And what if they have a kid or two. Then it becomes almost impossible to live. And you usually start off with only 15-18k. 

No. My dad worked at Wal-Mart. I know what he made. I also have many friends that work there, and know how much they make after just 5 years.

You start out at $8.50/hr or $17,680/yr per person, or $35,000/yr for two people. After 5 years, I have friends that make $11.50/hr, or $23,920/yr per person, or $48,000/yr for two people.

Again, that is after five years. As for the 'What if they have a kid or two'. The answer is simple: don't have kids until you are financially ready. Or do you naturally expect people to be so stupid as to not do the math and realize that having children and working low-wages is a stupid combination?

You provide all kinds of innane what-if scenarios to stack the deck against modest living. We're providing a worst case, near-minimum wage life to prove that its sustianable in America. Yes, you aren't going to live in opulence - you can't buy a car every 5 years, you won't be able to buy a 60" HDTV every three years, or go out to eat every night at Sizzler. But if you fail at life so hard as to have to work at Wal-Mart, you shouldn't be afforded luxury either. But the reality is that if you were remotely intelligent, two people working at Wal-Mart (either a married couple or simply two co-habitating adults) could easily live in most areas of the US.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

dsage01 said:

Is this HONESTLY all you can say to what I just wrote?  McDonalds is used as a simple example.  That example being if you are working full time, at $8 per hour, a couple will make $32,000 per year.  The point is that nobody who is working full time should be complaining that they can't make it in life.  It is based on their choices, such as buying a house, or wanting a cell phone, or buying a brand new, expensive car, that have made it tough to get by in life.  It isn't because of their income, it is because of their spending.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Granted, I'm not American but my opinion has always been that it's silly to identify yourself as one choice or the other. If I labelled myself as a democrat for example and my party decided to put forward some idiot as their candidate, I'm not just going to vote for him/her out of some misguided sense of party loyalty, give me a good leader to vote for. Now in the states there's really only 2 options which makes the choice quite difficult if you don't like 1 of the 2 options and is why I think there should always be several choices. 2 only leads to this whole fragmented view of politics, you're either one of us or one of them......it just leads to fighting imo.

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

Baalzamon said:
dsage01 said:

Is this HONESTLY all you can say to what I just wrote?  McDonalds is used as a simple example.  That example being if you are working full time, at $8 per hour, a couple will make $32,000 per year.  The point is that nobody who is working full time should be complaining that they can't make it in life.  It is based on their choices, such as buying a house, or wanting a cell phone, or buying a brand new, expensive car, that have made it tough to get by in life.  It isn't because of their income, it is because of their spending.

I'll use myself as an example...

When I lost my job as a government worker in my local city (Circleville) I had to supplement my income and fast. Within one week, I was working for $8.00 as a medical transport officer. Had I not of wanted that job, within one month, I could have likely had about one dozen job offers in my city, ranging from $7.50 - $8.50/hr.

As I stated earlier, unless you have some major scarlet letter on you for work, you WILL get hired at a minimum-wage job. There are usually enough of said jobs for nearly everyone to have one.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

badgenome said:
dsage01 said:
badgenome said:
dsage01 said:
maximus22 said:

Well, the real shame isn't that you know don't know anything, it is that you don't know anything and think you do. "America's going down the tubes because Republicans hatez teh poor pplz!" Seriously? Come the fuck on. That line of argument isn't even worthy of a YouTube comment.

Oh my fucking Gosh! Did you even read my full post! I don't think so. Before getting all negative you should read the post. I clealy stated the Republican's are using middle and lower class's people money to help the rich people or all these big companies instead of taking taxes from them and that was one major issue that caues ressissons in 2008! There are so many big companies in New York and California that haven't payed a dime in taxes from 2001-2009! Those companies made what like billions maybe trillions of dollars in profits but not a dime in taxes.  So read my fucking post next time before talking to me how invaild my post is.