By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Again, should Nintendo drop 3D from the 3DS?

Why would you do that? The only reason anyone would want this to happen are Sony fans who want the Vita to smash the 3DS in sales. 3D is one of the main things that differs it from the competition, whether you like using it or not.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network
radishhead said:
Why would you do that? The only reason anyone would want this to happen are Sony fans who want the Vita to smash the 3DS in sales. 3D is one of the main things that differs it from the competition, whether you like using it or not.

You think hardware distinctiveness is a killer app? That just doesn't bear out when looking at gaming history. What did the NES have over gaming PCs at the time, especially when home consoles had crashed (the robot didn't sell the system, it was just to make stored accept it)? What did the SNES have other the Genesis other than specs and a few extra buttons? What did the PS1 have over the Saturn (again, this is hardware, not price)?

Hardware differentiation is not a selling point. It's the harware not driving people away. Short battery life can drive people away, and that's something the 3DS has (which should be addressed in a revision, no matter what happens with the 3D).

And if you think I want this for the Vita to win, you clearly don't know me. I don't I have anything against the Vita, but if Sony did something stupid with it as Nintendo has done with the 3DS, I would call on them as well.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

guys the 3DS is fine.... it had decent sales... just not the level N predicted. The price drop will give it the nudge it needed to go into overdrive.

And 3D is a fully necessary feature, it's an increase in graphical rendition. You wouldn't remove HD from Wii U would you? well this is similar... and even if you don't care about 3D and depth , you can't deny that it offers a better contrast of objects on the screen, making the element more distinctive and lively.

Heck I play PC with 3D on all the time, and I don't notice that there is depth anymore, it just feels natural, but what I do see is that if I turn it off, I feel like my screen is bland and the characters lack life, they feel blended into the rest of the image. 3D give your character a slight separation from the rest, it helps put objects appart from the background... I see it as a beneficial graphical tool.

That can be used in games too... imagine in luigi's mansion if a book was put in front of the bookcase (graphically wise)... you'd notice the book right away... you might not notice it is in front of the bookcase, just that it somehow seems to be sharper than the other books.
So what is better? Having a yellow glare arround the book to point the player (no search involved), having the book just be bland in the bookcase, or having it pop out if you look closely?

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

LordTheNightKnight said:
radishhead said:

You think hardware distinctiveness is a killer app? That just doesn't bear out when looking at gaming history. What did the NES have over gaming PCs at the time, especially when home consoles had crashed (the robot didn't sell the system, it was just to make stored accept it)? What did the SNES have other the Genesis other than specs and a few extra buttons? What did the PS1 have over the Saturn (again, this is hardware, not price)?

Hardware differentiation is not a selling point. It's the harware not driving people away. Short battery life can drive people away, and that's something the 3DS has (which should be addressed in a revision, no matter what happens with the 3D).

And if you think I want this for the Vita to win, you clearly don't know me. I don't I have anything against the Vita, but if Sony did something stupid with it as Nintendo has done with the 3DS, I would call on them as well.

Hardware distinctiveness isn't particularly important, but market perception is the most important thing that a console has to deal with. Whether that be through the price, design or features. If Nintendo dropped the 3D then the market would see the 3DS as something even more similar to the DS than it currently is. They say it's a "DS with 3D" - what happens if they take the 3D away? Much of the mass market doesn't know about the other improvements yet, so this will make the 3DS sales fall even further than they already have done. 

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

LordTheNightKnight said:
manuel said:
I don't mean to offend you, but the idea was stupid and unrealistic back then and it still is now.
It's not going to happen. And there isn't a reason, either.

Any reasons why? I at least tried to back up my arguments both times. You should at least do the same.

what arguments? all you said is 3D movie sales are not so good anymore and that sales of games show it doesn't bother peopel.

A) 3D movies don't sale as well... sure if you say so, but consider this:

_ Avatar sold tons and was alone. Now 30% of movies are 3D... the average sales is bound to be much lower.

_ 3D Blu ray is out, with 3D Tvs, hence the attractiveness of 3D movies in the theaters is lowered... by as much as 3D BR drives are sold.

_ how do the sales of regular movies fare? does it have a similar decline?

this is an example of taking a fact and making it fit your point when there are plenty of other factors involved.

B) Do we have a 3D version of mariokart wii to compare the sales to? no, the argument is ridiculous, it's as if I said people prefer plane travel to spaceship travel because they buy a ton of plane tickets... there's no alternative.

the only good argument you gave is that the name is a bad differenciation from the DS... that I agree with... but you can't change names halfway through that's commercial suicide.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
i think it was a bad idea from the start, but its to late for them to back out now.

besides they didn't back out when GC couldn't break 25m and when N64 couldn't break 40 so why would they back out on 3DS?

The Wii and DS happened after that, which shows the market Nintendo wants doesn't just anything Nintendo makes.

i know that

the point i'm making is that Nintnedo won't pull the plug on 3DS.

Why did you bring them up when the factors are not the same?

really! this early in the morning. you really hate me don't you? why would you even bother with this. atlease its not a debate other wise i'd just die!

anyway it doesn't matter the situation. Nintendo have never abandond a platform, and that's why i brought it up.

are you fishing/implying for something?

Hephaestos said:
guys the 3DS is fine.... it had decent sales... just not the level N predicted. The price drop will give it the nudge it needed to go into overdrive.

speculative!

its not that i don't agree; its just that you may be jumping the gun just a bit.

price cuts don't always increase sales.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Hephaestos said:

speculative!

its not that i don't agree; its just that you may be jumping the gun just a bit.

I'm assuming you're just talking about the price drop part (since the first I consider facts not speculation as the 3DS currently had DS/PSP level sales).

the rest is yes, speculation (as anything talking about the future) but I base it on 2 points:

A) price drops do always increase sales, the legs are the aspect that is not necessarely very consistant.

B) I take the legs of this particular price cut to be good as the price will be akin to the current DSi/xl price and these still sold well before the 3DS and after its release. Now there really is no reason for the customer not to buy the 3DS. (sone would argue that a similar price will fuze even more the 3DS/DS missconceptions, but this won't be an issue if everyone buys a 3DS).

Perhaps I should have given the arguements along with the speculation :p

Hephaestos said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Hephaestos said:

speculative!

I'm assuming you're just talking about the price drop part (since the first I consider facts not speculation as the 3DS currently had DS/PSP level sales).

the rest is yes, speculation (as anything talking about the future) but I base it on 2 points:

A) price drops do always increase sales, the legs are the aspect that is not necessarely very consistant.

B) I take the legs of this particular price cut to be good as the price will be akin to the current DSi/xl price and these still sold well before the 3DS and after its release. Now there really is no reason for the customer not to buy the 3DS. (sone would argue that a similar price will fuze even more the 3DS/DS missconceptions, but this won't be an issue if everyone buys a 3DS).

Perhaps I should have given the arguements along with the speculation :p

yes the price cut/drop, but it doesn't increase sales in all cases, but i can agree that it has a chance of doing it for 3DS.

A and B i agree with and as for the last sentence i would have quoted you anyway im sure.

i'm not really sure wht your trying to say in the bold?

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

i'm not really sure wht your trying to say in the bold?

that's because it's a manipulation error and I hadn't intended it to be bold =D