By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Again, should Nintendo drop 3D from the 3DS?

Nintendo should focus more on the 3d slider than the 3d itself when marketing. This is what really differentiates it from anything else out there.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Around the Network

The 3DS is a mistake, and Nintendo just have to ride the wave now, who on earth would think betting the farm on a gimmick that's failed over and over again would be a good idea?

For once Sony had the common sense to offer something that won't be outdated or unwanted in 3 years.

On topic though, no they shouldn't, they just need to make the best of a bad situation.

LordTheNightKnight said:

I asked this before, but the hype from before the 3DS launch made many here not even consider that possibility. Now things are different. Not only is there the price cut (another prediction I made, although even more drastic than I thought) due to low hardware sales, but 3D movie sales aren't that good anymore.

In short, the 3DS might have come out too late, when the novelty of 3D from Avatar wore off (and that's even if you aren't considering what people like Malstrom are saying about 3D gaming), and it's coming across as just another fad that the entertainment industry likes more than the public.

So I again am stating that it might be in Nintendo's best interest to drop 3D from the system. The depth perception advantage some tout is far outweighed by the disadvantages (not to mention the sales of Modern Warfare, Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, GTA, Monster Hunter, etc. show that depth perception isn't that much of a problem for most gamers).

And some might still state that the name requires keeping 3D. Well drop the name as well. It's a piss-poor differentiation from the DS. It makes it look like it's just the DS with 3D effects. Call it something like the DS Advance. Give it a shape redesign as well.

Of course better games will help, but if people are turned off by 3D, it needs to go.

If they had not screwed themselves into an indefinite hole by putting "3D" in the name of the system then yes they could and possibly should have dropped 3d from the system at this point.  You can't advertise one feature so much, to the point where it is in the name of the product, to then take it out.  If it was called like "Super Game Boy" then they could get away with taking away certain features from future models because that title implies nothing beyond the simple concept of gaming.

Seece said:

The 3DS is a mistake, and Nintendo just have to ride the wave now, who on earth would think betting the farm on a gimmick that's failed over and over again would be a good idea?

For once Sony had the common sense to offer something that won't be outdated or unwanted in 3 years.

On topic though, no they shouldn't, they just need to make the best of a bad situation.

come on now, 3d is not  a gimmick, dont u like to see with both eyes?

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Hephaestos said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

i'm not really sure wht your trying to say in the bold?

that's because it's a manipulation error and I hadn't intended it to be bold =D

i put in bold ya crazy lol. 

oops =)

it refered to "it had decent sales... though not the level N expected"... i say that because as people have shown in graphs, the 3DS sales so far were in range with DS and PSP sales, so decent is an afirmation here, not a speculation. (not an important point though hence the parenthesis)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

No....it was marketed wrong...that is all....
They had no hit games with it....like mario, zelda or metroid...
street fighter is cool....but you needed one more to hit the market right

Hephaestos said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Hephaestos said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

i'm not really sure wht your trying to say in the bold?

that's because it's a manipulation error and I hadn't intended it to be bold =D

i put in bold ya crazy lol. 

oops =)

it refered to "it had decent sales... though not the level N expected"... i say that because as people have shown in graphs, the 3DS sales so far were in range with DS and PSP sales, so decent is an afirmation here, not a speculation. (not an important point though hence the parenthesis)

worth noting though.

ok thats cool. it was inline with PSP and DS butNintnedo felt they could ride the wave only to hit ruff current. 

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

worth noting though.

ok thats cool. it was inline with PSP and DS butNintnedo felt they could ride the wave only to hit ruff current. 

well the DS boomed afterwards, witht the light design & some key games.

PSP... i'm not sure...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

so the OP wants there to be a DS advance??? that would not work cause people would still buy the regular DS. When GBC came out the original was discontinued and when GBA came out GBC was. Maybe if Ninty stops making DSs....

How about we wait for the 3DS to get some big new games OP? The two biggest games on the system right now are a year old port and a remake of an N64 game. To suggest that 3D is the reason people aren't buying 3DS's at this point is laughable. The 3DS was priced way too high for the slim amount of software that has been offered up to this point.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.