By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Again, should Nintendo drop 3D from the 3DS?

I asked this before, but the hype from before the 3DS launch made many here not even consider that possibility. Now things are different. Not only is there the price cut (another prediction I made, although even more drastic than I thought) due to low hardware sales, but 3D movie sales aren't that good anymore.

In short, the 3DS might have come out too late, when the novelty of 3D from Avatar wore off (and that's even if you aren't considering what people like Malstrom are saying about 3D gaming), and it's coming across as just another fad that the entertainment industry likes more than the public.

So I again am stating that it might be in Nintendo's best interest to drop 3D from the system. The depth perception advantage some tout is far outweighed by the disadvantages (not to mention the sales of Modern Warfare, Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, GTA, Monster Hunter, etc. show that depth perception isn't that much of a problem for most gamers).

And some might still state that the name requires keeping 3D. Well drop the name as well. It's a piss-poor differentiation from the DS. It makes it look like it's just the DS with 3D effects. Call it something like the DS Advance. Give it a shape redesign as well.

Of course better games will help, but if people are turned off by 3D, it needs to go.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

no

lol no

why not turn 3D off before it turns you off?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

no way.

and what happens to all the people who bought the 3ds already? is nintendo just supposed to give them the finger?lol think about the repercussions what you're suggesting would cause

Around the Network

no, it would be a souped up DS and sell even worse, probably

Roma said:

lol no

why not turn 3D off before it turns you off?

What makes you think this is about me?

And if you meant that the slider negates those turned off by 3D, then the sales have shown people either don't care if it's optional, or they think it's not optional, as 3D movies don't just turn off the 3D when you take off the glasses, and of course the dreaded Virtual Boy didn't make it optional, and some might think that's the case here.

"what happens to all the people who bought the 3ds already? is nintendo just supposed to give them the finger?"

Well I'll clarify. Dropping the 3D from the systems would not affect any compatibility with the existing system. Plus developers could still make games 3D, they just wouldn't run in 3D unless you bought the systems that still had 3D.

"no, it would be a souped up DS and sell even worse, probably"

That "probably" means you likely haven't done research to back up your claim. In case you forgot, the Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance WERE marketed basically as souped up Gameboys. They obviously sold fine. Being more powerful is a feature people don't mind. I'm discussing the features people DO mind, which seems to be more and more the case with 3D.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

YES, I agree 3d is a waste of space, that they could have used for better graphics or an extra analog stick or simply save the production cost and make it cheaper to produce.

3d is just so unnecessary, every time I go to the movies and must be forced to pay extra for 3d because the 2d isn't available simply tears me to shreds!

I don't mean to offend you, but the idea was stupid and unrealistic back then and it still is now.
It's not going to happen. And there isn't a reason, either.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

manuel said:
I don't mean to offend you, but the idea was stupid and unrealistic back then and it still is now.
It's not going to happen. And there isn't a reason, either.

Any reasons why? I at least tried to back up my arguments both times. You should at least do the same.