By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console Wars: The Game

Console Wars: The Game

I have created a card game based around Console Wars, using Video Games battling to the death for the market and earning Gamers for their Console. In addition to the Video Games, there are Actions which shake up the market like price cuts or game hype and Console Powers which are one-time special powers that are much stronger than Actions.

The Cards and Rules come in a .pdf format which will print out at the intended size, but make sure the print quality is high enough so the text is not distorted.

Over 80 major franchises and 10 consoles are represented in the game.

Download the PDF Rules and Cards in a ZIP archive.

The cards were made in OpenOffice Calc, imported into a C++ script which created bitmaps that were printed to PDF.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Around the Network

Ha! great idea.... I probably won't print them because I have no-one who would play it, but I will have a read.

Anyone else? I did spend three days on it...

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

why stop at a card game? Why not make a videogame based on the console wars? you could call it Videogame Tycoon or something and then everybody on this crazy forum will be able to implement all their crazy ideas. Then they can see if their ideas really work or not.

I don't think that's out of the question, either. In Madden they have a franchise mode where you can make your baseball team, and then there's Baseball Mogul, which is the de-facto baseball management game.

::Edit:: Hrmm its good to be back by the way. I reset mypassword and I guess the email from vgchartz always ended up in the spam filter. So that explains my long absence :-p

That Guy said:
why stop at a card game? Why not make a videogame based on the console wars? you could call it Videogame Tycoon or something and then everybody on this crazy forum will be able to implement all their crazy ideas. Then they can see if their ideas really work or not.

I don't think that's out of the question, either. In Madden they have a franchise mode where you can make your baseball team, and then there's Baseball Mogul, which is the de-facto baseball management game.

Well, I can program, so it's possible. Can I have a few video-game specific ideas for it?

Around the Network

awesome idea!

In before:

PS3 Cards should be CGI based
360 Cards should suffer from Spontaneous Card combustion
Wii Cards should be drawed with crayons

Othen than that, the Tycoon idea sounds interesting...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

That is a cool idea, kudos for that, I won't ever get around to playing it but I will read the PDF.

if you're up for it, then hellz yeah.

Just look around at some of the forum posts around here.

Off the top of my head, there are several factors we can add in.

1) You start off as a company, either Sony, MS, or Nintendo, or some fake ones too if you wish.

2) You start off with a budget and you have to spend it on R&D for a new system

3) How much money are you going to budget into the hardware? Graphics? Controller? Home Theatre Features? How long are you expecting the the system to last?

1st Party Software? How much are you going to contract out to 2nd Party Companies? 3rd Party exclusives?

4) Distribution of systems: Where are you going to ship your systems? USA? Japan? "Other"? How much to each region? What's your price point? Bundles?

5) How are you going to advertise your system? To young people? Old people? Rich people? Each demographic has certain advantages and disadvantages. There are more young people, but they like better graphics, but they are poor. Old people have more money and like home theatre features, but their game attach rate might not be as high, etc.

6) Different Regions have different tastes - USA and Europe really likes FPS, whereas Japan really likes Sim and RPG type games. How will that affect the design of the console and how you're going to gear your image in each region?

Then the game will progress month-to-month and you can see the sales figures go. Then as the player you can check the fake vgchartz and see your console selling more or not. Or you can check the fake news to see if certain regions are taking well to your new console.

Of course the goal of the game is to sell the most consoles (and make the most money). This will be determined by how well your system fits the needs of your demographic and how well it spans across different demographics. Of course, if your system is in direct competition with another system, then it starts to get interesting.

then you can insert randomizers per month (i.e. buggy game, needs patch, or super violent game spurs parental action groups, or some positive things like "doctors prefer system X because its healthier, etc")

::EDIT::

Are we freaking serious about this? Hell, why not go for the whole shebang then and shamelessly plug VG Chartz, put it up so people can play and download it and then go to VG Chartz for real and then VG Chartz can make money off ads! 

You wouldn't be able to make the game a commercial product if you were going to use the real names of MS, Sony, or Nintendo though. But cheap knockoff spoof names would probably be ok

I haven't read all of it yet, but it sounds friggin awesome!

I have noticed one little thing that you might want to correct, though:

On the Playstation card, it says: "Dual Analog Sticks: All Shooter games in play are transferred to the Xbox 360's Video Game Zone."

Definitely has some sweet potential.