By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 10% Ahead of 360 This Year Worldwide, 'Strong Contender' to Take Second Place

Blood_Tears said:
Jay520 said:
Dragon_Lord said:

MS had all that last year and Sony had alot less then they do this year, and they tied in shipment slaes holiday last year so what makes you think MS can win this year?

Everyone knows Sony overships every quarter.

Not in Holiday 2009 they didn't, cause they had shortages for several months after that..

I guess he was joking LOL

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Dragon_Lord said:

MS had all that last year and Sony had alot less then they do this year, and they tied in shipment slaes holiday last year so what makes you think MS can win this year?

Everyone knows Sony overships every quarter.

Um it's impossible to overship every quarter lol, though they did overship a bit last holiday quater but even still my point stands, MS had everything they have this year and more last year and Sony has alot more this year, and MS couldn't beat them last year I don't understand how anyone can think 360 will sell more this holiday then ps3

If you read what they say, none of those analysts say the PS3 will surpass the 360.

Those 4 analysts are giving a mixed bag. Jesse Divnich says his prediction models always fail, so we'll have to wait until 2012 to tell:

The Xbox 360's success is simply incredible. I won't lie, it has consistently beaten my models over the last few months--the folks at Microsoft remind me every month. The only reasoning that seems plausible is the Kinect or the strength of its software library has reached some sort of tipping point making the Xbox 360 an incredible value to consumers at its current price points.

Billy Pidgeon says that the PS3 will pass the 360 only under specific scenarios, one being the 360 successor replacing the 360 before the PS3 was replaced:

Should Microsoft release a successor to Xbox 360 and shift the pipeline for hardcore games over to the new consoles, that would be a possible scenario by which PS3 could bypass Xbox 360's active installed base.

David Cole basically says no:

In terms of our forecasts, we have the PS3 sales matching Xbox 360 in 2011 but that still leaves them behind in cumulative sales.

and Colin Sebastian also says no

if Sony combined a strong first party lineup (e.g. Uncharted/Resistance) with another hardware price reduction, I believe we would see a nice pick-up in unit sales this fall.

So I also agree with the analysts. You shouldn't highlight one specific quote, most of these people basically state that PS3 won't overtake 360 in 2011.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

It really doesn't matter really, the 360 simply can't compete with PS3 world wide anyway. , PS3 has been outselling the 360 year after now, even last holiday when nothing was hotter than Kinect, the PS3 stood toe to toe with the 360.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
kowenicki said:

DFC Intelligence huh?  I guess he will be right eventually... lol

Wed, Jun 04, 2008 | 10:05 BST
DFC says PS3 will pass 360 next year

In its May games industry report, DFC Intelligence has predicted that PS3 will overtake Xbox 360 in terms of installed base next year.

“The Xbox 360 was unable to take advantage of Sony’s struggles to build the type of large lead needed to maintain a long-term advantage,” said the firm.

The reports reckon Wii will have the highest sales of this generation, which will surpass console sales in the previous cycle by 2011.

PS3 Picked to Pass 360 in 2011

It may be Kinect over Move for the holidays but analyst group DFC Intelligence nonetheless predicts that 2011 will be the year that the PlayStation 3 overtakes the Xbox 360 in worldwide sales.

Things are looking rosy for Kinect, the motion control device for the Xbox 360 that came out earlier this month. A million of the things sold in just ten days, holiday sales are projected to hit five million units and GameStop has already called it the winner of the winter. But the holiday season is just one battle in the ceaseless meat grinder nightmare of the Console Wars and DFC Intelligence says it won't be enough to hold back the surging onslaught of the Big Sony Machine.

So they predicted ps3 to pass in install base in 2009 and worldwide sales in 2011.

What's the problem? Those are two different things.

Around the Network
Dragon_Lord said:
sales2099 said:
Well just look at how MS does busines this gen.

They save all their marketing $$$$$ for the holidays.

Gears of War 3 is going to be massive......way bigger then Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, or any PS3 exclusive this fall. Offcourse I mean sales wise.

Look at the preorders for multiplats like COD (biggest game of the year sales wise) and Battlefield 3.......all massively favouring the 360.

Its been 3.......3 years since an official price drop. One must happen this year if they wanna offset Japan with superior sales in NA and about even sales in Europe. Drop Kinect by $50, include their 2 game bundle liek they do every year.

Were in the eye of the storm people......and MS is very good this year at concealing their plans for the fall.

lol MS had a lot of games last year (for MS) as well as a massive boost from the intial "wow" of kinect, which has almost completely faded and ps3 had a bad year as far as games, people forget that even games released earlier in the year sell consoles during the holidays, last year Sony was about on par with MS for games (which is bad for Sony) and this year they have tons of games, and last year holidays despite MS being in the clearly better position Sony still managed to ship just as much (only because 360 had shortages and ps3 was a little overstocked) this year MS has less games, less of a kinect factor, and I'm pretty sure Sony will benefit more from a price drop, I just don't see how 360 can outsell ps3 this year even with MS advertising tons on big name games (which they did last year)

Well as for last year it all comes down to brand perception in nonUK Europe and Japan......360 games and wow factor of kinect aside. Unfortunate, but thats the one thing Sony has going for them: brand power generated by PS1 and PS2. 

You neglected my post....as its been 3 years since a 360 price drop. Not to mention 360 sales are up YOY without the price drop helping. 

Just saying, MS advertises way more, and they are more likely to aggressively lower the price. Last year they did great........without a price cut. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

psrock said:
It really doesn't matter really, the 360 simply can't compete with PS3 world wide anyway. , PS3 has been outselling the 360 year after now, even last holiday when nothing was hotter than Kinect, the PS3 stood toe to toe with the 360.

Well didnt 360 outsell ps3 in 2007 and 2008? I could also get technical and say 2005 and 2006 too lol. Come to think about it ps3 outsold 360 for 2 years where as 360 outsold ps3 for technically 4 calendar years. 

Last holiday it was downright embarassing for both to be neck to neck....since it has been since 2008 that 360 has had a price drop, not to mention Sony had the help of europe and japan and still "tied" with 360 for that year

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Dragon_Lord said:
sales2099 said:
Well just look at how MS does busines this gen.

They save all their marketing $$$$$ for the holidays.

Gears of War 3 is going to be massive......way bigger then Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, or any PS3 exclusive this fall. Offcourse I mean sales wise.

Look at the preorders for multiplats like COD (biggest game of the year sales wise) and Battlefield 3.......all massively favouring the 360.

Its been 3.......3 years since an official price drop. One must happen this year if they wanna offset Japan with superior sales in NA and about even sales in Europe. Drop Kinect by $50, include their 2 game bundle liek they do every year.

Were in the eye of the storm people......and MS is very good this year at concealing their plans for the fall.

lol MS had a lot of games last year (for MS) as well as a massive boost from the intial "wow" of kinect, which has almost completely faded and ps3 had a bad year as far as games, people forget that even games released earlier in the year sell consoles during the holidays, last year Sony was about on par with MS for games (which is bad for Sony) and this year they have tons of games, and last year holidays despite MS being in the clearly better position Sony still managed to ship just as much (only because 360 had shortages and ps3 was a little overstocked) this year MS has less games, less of a kinect factor, and I'm pretty sure Sony will benefit more from a price drop, I just don't see how 360 can outsell ps3 this year even with MS advertising tons on big name games (which they did last year)

Well as for last year it all comes down to brand perception in nonUK Europe and Japan......360 games and wow factor of kinect aside. Unfortunate, but thats the one thing Sony has going for them: brand power generated by PS1 and PS2. 

You neglected my post....as its been 3 years since a 360 price drop. Not to mention 360 sales are up YOY without the price drop helping. 

Just saying, MS advertises way more, and they are more likely to aggressively lower the price. Last year they did great........without a price cut. 

I really don't think anyone thinks the only reason ps3 is ahead in japan and europe is the brand factor, you know that extended warrenty that didn't even cover all 360 failures in NA, most of the rest of the world didn't even get that, also 360 exclusives often don't get localized and xbl isn't even on par with psn in alot of the world (but they still have to pay), there are actually alot of places where you can get psn but you can't get xbl, MS is doing very little to appeal to people outside of NA and Sony has been doing alot for awhile 

It's down 62% yoy in the last couple weeks, the only reason it was up yoy before was the slim, and the reason that was such a big boost is because it's the first 360 that's actually reliable so people on the fence and people wanting to upgrade (from an older 360) both went out and got one, now that it crossed that part of the year it's going to be down yoy for the rest of the year unless it price cuts

An equal price cut will still benefit ps3 more, because of the 200 360 skew and the ps3s blu ray player and I really can't see either cutting the price without the other matching, and again MS advertised a ton last year and had more advantages over ps3 last year then this one, and they still only tied so I don't see how they can win this year with less advantages 

psrock said:

Well...that's not really a fair assessment.

PS3 has been selling about 10% better for all of 2011, and you're saying 360 can't compete.

360 was selling about 10% better for the holiday season last fall, and you're saying PS3 was at a virtual tie. (This is ignoring the weeks where the ratio was higher due to 360 favoring titles released)

How can 10% for one console be untouchable, and 10% for the other be almost on par?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Dragon_Lord said:

I really don't think anyone thinks the only reason ps3 is ahead in japan and europe is the brand factor, you know that extended warrenty that didn't even cover all 360 failures in NA, most of the rest of the world didn't even get that, also 360 exclusives often don't get localized and xbl isn't even on par with psn in alot of the world (but they still have to pay), there are actually alot of places where you can get psn but you can't get xbl, MS is doing very little to appeal to people outside of NA and Sony has been doing alot for awhile 

It's down 62% yoy in the last couple weeks, the only reason it was up yoy before was the slim, and the reason that was such a big boost is because it's the first 360 that's actually reliable so people on the fence and people wanting to upgrade (from an older 360) both went out and got one, now that it crossed that part of the year it's going to be down yoy for the rest of the year unless it price cuts

An equal price cut will still benefit ps3 more, because of the 200 360 skew and the ps3s blu ray player and I really can't see either cutting the price without the other matching, and again MS advertised a ton last year and had more advantages over ps3 last year then this one, and they still only tied so I don't see how they can win this year with less advantages 

What 360 exclusives don't get localized? I'm only aware of two games which released in Japan, and not the rest of the world, and all of Microsoft's published games are globally released.

XBL isn't on Par in a lot of the world? How and where?

You think the Slim boosted 2011 sales, not Kinect or a good Halo?

Also, I think everyone interested in Blu-Ray already owns a Blu-Ray player. People will not be buying a PS3 for Blu-Ray nowdays, but you do make a lot of sense. I only question the above 3 comments.