By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 grabs 20%+ of the market !

@zackblue

I agree with your first paragraph, i touched a playstation, though :) But I must admit that Sony's idea of "This is living" didnt attract me at all and neither made me buy their latest gaming device ....

Personally, I really don't think that the wii is better from a technical spec point of view but for sure gives me the most fun when playing and that is all what a game console is supposed to do imho ....

All-In-One multimedia devices didnt have major success in the past and won't have in the future most likely because most often they offer a lot but can not do one single thing properly (PS3 might be an exception for that rule in some areas though) :D  That is where Nintendo is right (They concentrate on what they can do best) and Sony failed imho ....

Around the Network

I like "Wii would like to play" and "Jump in" more. It's like there saying, hey, these things are fun. But "This is Living" kinda sucks. Its like, hey, you don't own a Ps3! You haven't lived yet! I played it, and its more like, this is sitting on your ass mashing buttons. But its PRETTY!

The 360 won't bomb, the Ps3 won't sell out past 100 million, the Wii will. Over all predictions, NINTENDO IS BACK IN FIRST BITCHES!

For 1, I would also say that since the Wii is in the lead you will hear more from Nintendo fans than from Sony or MS fans. Say, for example, that you would swap the Wii's success with the PS3, people would be saying there are a lot of Playstation fanboys here, because playstation would be the hot topic.

I also think the term "fanboy" is thrown around way too easily in these forums. If I challenge a ranting Sony fan's claims because they have no basis in fact or logic, I am called a Nintendo fanboy, when I am not actually defending Nintendo, I am just taking issue with the poster's content and methods.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
wiifm said:
@finalsquall:

>This site is the only site that people argue about the Wii. Other sites, the Wii #
>doesn't even get a mention. It's 360 vs PS3. Why does this site have alot of Wii >fans... because the Wii is winning.

This is probably the reason why 360 vs PS3 is discussed at other places. It sucks to talk about who is the best on 2nd place for them most likely and even worse is to see fanboys' beloved PS3 at 3rd everytime they visit the frontpage ....

I'd say the reason that the 360 vs PS3 is discussed other places (and why it should be discussed more here) is because that's where the action in the market is. The Wii is so far ahead at this point that it's not even worth asking the question of whether the 360 or PS3 will pull ahead of the Wii, there's nothing to analyze or speculate about. However, it's a lot harder to say what direction the split between 360/PS3 is going to go, at least in the near term.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

Why would I want to watch a DVD on my Wii when I can buy a top of the line DVD player for $20?

That same DVD player put into the Wii could easily add more than $20 to the production cost of the Wii and would have significantly cut down on its lifespan just as using your PS3 as a Blu-Ray player significantly cuts down on its lifespan.

The only time putting a multimedia device in a console made sense was last generation when everyone wanted a DVD player but couldn't afford one.

I hate to break this to you, but you can play DVDs on your Wii.  All you need is a mod chip.  Nintendo just withheld the firmware to do it.  It would be nice to just have to transport the Wii instead of an additional $100 "top of the line" dvd player, since you need an upconverting one that will not be $20 unless you want a piece of junk.

As for the lifespan of the system...I've played all of my DVDs in my PS2 for years and it still works fine unless the discs are scratched.  I'm already having trouble playing scratched discs with my Wii (I rent games and people can't take care of discs).  The PS3 has no problem reading discs due to blu-ray discs being unscratchable.

Also, even if a "top of the line" dvd player cost only $20, the manufacturing costs would obviously not be nearly that.  I hope you understand how profit works.  Nintendo likes it, certainly, because they are currently getting away with ripping people off on the console while Sony loses money on their PS3 sales.

But hey, as long as no one cares about having dvd player functionality, I guess it won't matter.  Same goes for online play, no hard drive, slow copying to sd cards, terrible battery life on controllers (basically forcing you to buy Nyko Charge pack or spend hundreds on batteries over the lifespan), and lack of graphical increase from last generation.  As long as no one cares, Nitendo doesn't much either.  I'm a sucker, too, since I bought a Wii.  I'm just glad I have my PS3 for everything the Wii lacks. 

Nintendo is the only contender offering their product at a reasonable price and you somehow turn that into ripping off the customers.

I guess you don't feel cutting out Backward Compatibility to make up for the mistake of forcing Blu-Ray on the PS3 isn't an ill decision, lol. I wonder if you seriously believe half the stuff you're spouting in this ridiculous post of yours.

What good is a harddrive if it limits the longevity and reliability of your console's hardware? Where ever will I store all my MP3's, TIVO recordings, bootleg movies, and patches for my games that weren't properly quality tested before being launched?

What good are increased graphics if they double the cost of your console from last generation? What good are graphics that require a greater investment and risk for developers? What good are increased graphics that make development far more expensive and time consuming? What good are increased graphics that reduce game length as a trade off in development to get a game out in the same time? You don't seem to understand that graphics beyond last generation aren't as simple as taking one step up the stairs.

The Wii-motes batteries have not been an issue for me nor have I heard of them being a problem for anyone else and a Nyko charger is cheap if your really must have one, sorry you feel that is robbery...

But thank goodness you have a PS3, why at that price, its practically a steal, thank goodness Sony is willing to sacrifice profit, integrity and the quality of games forced out prematurely to float a flopped console just so they can sell you such a wonderful console at a loss. Why, Sony are the freedom fighters of the video game world! They're heroes really. They sell a console at a loss just so you can have the best and hold nothing back. Sure some might mistake them for arrogant and incompetant fools masquerading as professionals in a crumbling company, but those people obviously don't understand the quality of the Sony brand.

The Six-Axis whent beyond the Wii-mote to show Nintendo how motion sensing is really done making games like LAIR the undisputed Game of the Year and the PS-Eye is going to sell millions revolutionizing innovation as we know it.

And if I want to play PS2 games, I'll buy a PS2, who ever said Backwards Compatibility was the standard anyway? And if I really want to play them on my PS3, I'll search for one of the vanishing 60gb skus and buy it along with the adaptor for the PS2 memory cards and download the PS2 upscaller so it can look at least as good as it was suppossed to on the PS2, could it be any simpler? Sure even then the 60gb SKu isn't 100% BC, but who cares, all the games that matter to me are, and that's what's important. Besides, who plays games from last gen anyway?

And who wouldn't rather play games at 1080dpi with copious frame rate drops than games at 720 with smoother frame rate consistancy, bigger numbers are what's important in being true next gen. Graphics are more important to me than gameplay, because gameplay and innovation don't define a generation, graphics do. It's a little something called History.

I think your missing some logic...

please stay on topic, when you return. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

^ Rather Scatheing post by a Mod, don't you think. I thought mods were supposed to be the reasonable and responsible individuals on a forum run rampant with illogical, irrational, or irreverent posters

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

It's hard to be reasonable with a person re-hashing old gripes in a thread of a totally unrelated nature.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

CrashMan said:
^ Rather Scatheing post by a Mod, don't you think. I thought mods were supposed to be the reasonable and responsible individuals on a forum run rampant with illogical, irrational, or irreverent posters

They are. She's hardly ever rational. If all you do all day long is doom the PS3 and hail the Wii as the best entertainment product of all time, that's hardly rational either. Most people realize that their product of choice might not be the supreme one just because they happen to prefer it, but some don't.