By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - OMG!!! I went to Walmart and PS3's were selling out crazy!! Must be 2008!

Onna, just because the PS3 is selling better doesn't mean all of its problems dissapeared. When you support the PS3 you take burden like anyone else who has ever supported an unpopular console. Deal with it.

I respect your opinion and choice in gaming consoles but stop the high and mighty act already? This is not the WiiPS3 generation. You're a Japanese culture fan who is supporting the Japanese consoles for that very reason, and that's perfectly fine, there's nothing wrong with that, but stop acting like yours is the popular opinion here. You're the minority. Now, that doesn't mean people get the right to slam your opinion, but you'd have to be pretty damn foolish to jump at every instance someone has anything negative to say about the PS3 as if its an indignation before god himself.

Around the Network

what was this thread originally about again

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

That was a hurricane: it's called "looting".

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

"I'm not even sure it's a good indicator of what's selling on amazon"

Well, it's a nice indication of trends. If a console is a top-selling item for a longer time ( while competitive consoles are not out of stock of course) , you can expect to see US sales-numbers following the same trend.

For example, the difference between xbox360 and ps3 sales is a lot smaller now, you could see something like that coming a week ago at amazon.

@cayley96

I think you're a bit shortsighted on some points.

About point 1:
When stand-alone br-players will get cheaper, more people can afford and buy one.
That way the user-base for the BR-format will grow larger in the states ( it's allready 75% in Europe ) and publishers / studios who are now only supporting HD-DVD can no longer ignore the popularity of the format.
So they will publish their media on the BR-format as well and it will gain more popularity, and the PS3 will be a game-console that supports the most popular format, which will be an advantage over the console-competition.

About point 3:
I agree VOD will grow, but it won't replace physical media that easily.
If it will replace an existing concept, it will be the movie-rentals, not the discs which movie-collectors buy or the disney-movies (grand)parents buy for their (grand)children.

Point 4. "PS3 live is too far behind X360 one" is a subjective opinion and not a fact. It depends on your wishes / demands.

About point 5: you can expect more price-cuts in 2008. If some company knows how to build quality electronics efficiently, it's Sony.

About point 6: I'm a PS2 gamer, I appreciate the diversity the platform offers. Although I like some Mario-games, I find it boring that Mario pops up in all kind of (mini-)games.
I prefer games which have their own identity so that I get the feeling that I'm really playing a completely different game.

About point 7:
Toshiba and IBM are using the some hardware for their products, and you can expect more products using the Cell processor in the nearby future.

About point 9: If that would be a reason to worry, than MS is really having a problem.

About point 15: The PS2 is still very much alive. You can't find a better console with more games for just 100 dollar/euro.

Around the Network
I went to walmart on friday and they only had one 40gb ps3 and like 10 360s

leo-j said:
Well my wish for New years was that the ps3 destroys the wii in sales.

And I wished for world peace. I think mine was more realistic. 

Willem said:

Well, it's a nice indication of trends. If a console is a top-selling item for a longer time ( while competitive consoles are not out of stock of course) , you can expect to see US sales-numbers following the same trend.

For example, the difference between xbox360 and ps3 sales is a lot smaller now, you could see something like that coming a week ago at amazon.

Actually no you can't. Your knew, so i'll cut you a break, but if you look back Amazon's top sellers have had absolutly no bearing whatsoever on US sales as a whole. There have been plenty of times PS3's and 360's have risen to the tops of the Amazon charts and it's had absolutley no effect at all on the US numbers total.

Hence why no one thinks Amazon is a good indicator of anything.

Often times it actually trended AGAINST what amazon was showing. 

Kasz216 said:
Willem said:

Actually no you can't. Your knew, so i'll cut you a break, but if you look back Amazon's top sellers have had absolutly no bearing whatsoever on US sales as a whole. There have been plenty of times PS3's and 360's have risen to the tops of the Amazon charts and it's had absolutley no effect at all on the US numbers total.

Hence why no one thinks Amazon is a good indicator of anything.

Often times it actually trended AGAINST what amazon was showing. 

Much of the time the PS3 is above the 360 on amazon, the sales have not really been reflecting that

I've heard the word buzzing about this thread that the only reason the PS3 is selling well on amazon and such is because the Wii is out of stock. If true, where does that leave Microsoft?

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.