By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Netflix is doomed. (Patcher!)

superchunk said:
I see Netflix being forced to introduce teired pricing much like cable in order to stay profitable and continue to obtain the content people want.

$7 for basic really old stuff or $15 for new stuff and movie content from these studios. Either way its still FAR cheaper than cable/sat will ever be so I'll stick with it as my sole source for the time being. (along with a PS3/other game console connected to the internet)

I almost cringed when I read tiered pricing like cable...  I really hate cable and think it is just a monopolistic business model considering only one cable provider owns the right for certain cities.  They refuse to have a la carte pricing.  They force hundreds of crap channels on you in order to get the ones you want.  I only respect History Channel, Discovery Channel (which is in decline), Animal Planet, and a few other stations.  I hate commercials and even with DVR you still have to fast forward through the commercials (I hate live TV mainly because of commercials).  As long as they keep the price around 7-15 dollars then that isn't too bad.  I just don't want to see subscriber charges running rampant like it does in the cable industry.  Oh and if they ever added commercials I would drop it in a heart beat.

Around the Network

Google has the money and the Empire out bid netflicks and make even more money by using its internet advertisment empire with it. I rather have google buy it and use adds and charge nothing. Free Movies on youtube, sure there will be adds but hey free movies thats what i want to see.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Well this has me happy.

It would appear that the different companies will not support a single online network. As such NetFlix won't get movies from certain publishers and other services won't get the same movies as NetFlix. This will make legal streaming services less attractive. I myself liked NetFlix but stopped supporting them because of the lack of content.

In the end I think buying the physical copies is better for everyone. It employes millions of people and is permanent. It might be alittle more costly but I'd rather see traditional movie stores in business then NetFlix.

Hopefully this means that actual retail outlets will be able to compete easier. if NetFlix is going to renew those contracts and they will cost that much, then I suspect that the monthly price will have to more then double as well. Making online streaming alot less appealing then actual retail outlets!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

superchunk said:
I see Netflix being forced to introduce teired pricing much like cable in order to stay profitable and continue to obtain the content people want.

$7 for basic really old stuff or $15 for new stuff and movie content from these studios. Either way its still FAR cheaper than cable/sat will ever be so I'll stick with it as my sole source for the time being. (along with a PS3/other game console connected to the internet)

I see this thread has been necro'd, but this is relevant.  I saw this article today:

http://money.msn.com/saving-money-tips/post.aspx?post=4751765f-b79d-41cc-aab1-5e70c7fa27ea

"Under the current, soon-to-expire agreement with Starz, Netflix paid $30 million per year for the right to stream the movie channel's content. Negotiations to renew that contract reportedly broke down even after Netflix offered a $300 million-a-year deal. Starz reportedly insisted that Netflix introduce a tiered subscription service so subscribers who wanted to see Starz movies and TV shows (including Sony and Disney films) would have to pay more than $8 a month. Evidently Netflix refused to hike subscription prices more than it already had."

I hope that they can avoid the tiered pricing model.  Netflix already has enough different packages.  I would hate to see all these different studios trying to force premium charges on top of their content.  If studios try this BS, then they can go shove it.  I will leave you to figure out where.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)