By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

What do you think the future of this thread should be

Comparing Third Party Series 21 36.21%

Comparing Third Party Games 16 27.59%

Locked 20 34.48%

Total:57
RolStoppable said:
dsage01 said:

GT is meant for pro racers only. It's been the same since GT 1. GT5 was extremly fun to those who are good at racing games it's not like any typical racer that is meant for 13 year old kids. Now days reviewers are appreciating casual games more which really dissapoint me. Now days I think reviewers only look for games that are easy, fun and looks nice. GT5 is defintley fun there is no dount about that. But unlike Halo and Call of Duty GT still attracts the same type of people (Pro racers). If you have no expereince with racing games than GT5 will be a bore to you.

I haven't played GT5, only the first three games. But I think I can take your word for it that the series hasn't really changed at its core over all those years. I like to think of myself as being good at racing games and the Gran Turismo series is the most boring racing franchise in existence, because there's no real balance whatsoever. Most races are already decided when you reach the first corner of a track, because by that point you can already see that the AI won't be able to keep up. The only way to make races interesting is by deliberately trying to hit the sweet spot of using a similarly powered car as the AI. Endurance races are even worse; it's no fun at all to play the same track for an hour or more and lap the opponents a dozen times.

This glaring lack of balance in difficulty always made me believe that Gran Turismo is not meant to be a series for racing fans, but rather people who first and foremost like to look at shiny cars. Racing means fighting for positions, thrill, excitement, adrenaline pumping through your body. Gran Turismo is just driving and buying new cars. The fun aspects of Gran Turismo are tuning your car, spending your money on something. The actual races are just something you endure for the sake of improving your collection of cars.

Well I think you should play burnout. That's the type of game your looking for. Games like Burnout and Need for speed are great. But it doesn't have the lasting appeal GT has. When I was a kid I used to love crashing into cars e.t.c. but now over the years GT has become much more fun. It's just that people only play a bit of A spec and say they've played GT. When the truth is they haven't. It's like playing the campagin of Halo Reach and saying it's a horrible game. Without even trying the online. Getting your liscence test, A spec, B spec, Online, go carting there's just so much to do! And I like realistic racing. The amazing visuals of GT is a big part of the game I am not denying that. But that so called thrill is very limited for games like burnout or Need for Speed. In 10 min a 12 year old can tell that playing a game like NFS doesn't feel real at all. And in 5 min he can say GT5 is the most realistic racer he has ever played. When playing GT I feel as if I'm driving a real car and that too on the speed of 180km per hour. It feels like a real race is going on. Something that other racers fail too give.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
dsage01 said:

Well I think you should play burnout. That's the type of game your looking for. Games like Burnout and Need for speed are great. But it doesn't have the lasting appeal GT has. When I was a kid I used to love crashing into cars e.t.c. but now over the years GT has become much more fun. It's just that people only play a bit of A spec and say they've played GT. When the truth is they haven't. It's like playing the campagin of Halo Reach and saying it's a horrible game. Without even trying the online. Getting your liscence test, A spec, B spec, Online, go carting there's just so much to do! And I like realistic racing. The amazing visuals of GT is a big part of the game I am not denying that. But that so called thrill is very limited for games like burnout or Need for Speed. In 10 min a 12 year old can tell that playing a game like NFS doesn't feel real at all. And in 5 min he can say GT5 is the most realistic racer he has ever played. When playing GT I feel as if I'm driving a real car and that too on the speed of 180km per hour. It feels like a real race is going on. Something that other racers fail too give.

The type of racing I was speaking of has nothing to do with crashs for the sake of crashs. What I was talking about can be applied to every subgenre of the racing genre, whether the game in question is Race Driver, Mario Kart, wipEout, DiRT, Micro Machines, Ridge Racer or whatever else you can think of. There are differences in execution, but the basic principles are the same.

We obviously have a different perception of what racing is. Driving in first place from start to finish without being threatened by anyone might be racing to you, but for me it's clearly not. Hence why I and many other people find Gran Turismo boring.

I guess that's why GT5 is beating Reach. Most people take it boring? I honestly have a hard time with  the AI. Before professional it all seems easy then it get's prety hard for me. The type of car does matter a lot. But in games like NFS and Burnout I easily come in first place. But in games like GT5 I'm sweating my ass of in a super intense race. But it only starts getting hard once you've crossed level 11. But by the time your in level 15+ it gets pretty hard. I'm in level 23 right now and I barely ever come first. Knowing exactly when to turn, not crashing to much going on the right speed are all important factors in driving a car in real life and driving a car in GT which most games just seem to ignore. That's what I really hate. In terms of techinal stuff GT aces it all the way and btw GT is much harder than most racers which make it extremly fun to me. And in Mario Kart I don't remember a time when I didn't come first. It's just too easy.

Mass Effect 2 is awesome, but I got over 600 hours alone in MGS4 MP and well I'm addicted to it. voted MGS4

I cant stop looking at the fish..

CPU: Ryzen 9950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

MGS4. I would have voted Mass Effect over MGS4, but not Mass Effect 2.

Mass Effect 2 left me slightly disappointed after the first one, while MGS4 gave me goosebumps multiple times.
MGS4 was pretty wordy but I was completely immersed in the story, while Mass Effect 2 focused too much on recruitment and too little on main story.

Two perfect games. This is the most difficult vote for me so far. I refuse to vote.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
When I vote for Mass Effect 2, is it the 360 or the PS3 version?

360 of course

I just can't pick one, both are amazing

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

I choose MGS4- great game, terribly long cut scenes, make me want to punch a baby, but awesome gameplay, with an interesting yet incomprehensible story.

mass effect had terrible gameplay, as an RPG it was lacking, as a third person shooter, it was terrible, cover mechanic, shooting, animations, all terrible. i really dont understand how the game gets such a pass on this. the actual gunplay in this game is quite pathetic and unrefined. if games like Gears or Uncharted were this bad in this department, no way would they get over an 8.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is my least favorite metal gear solid besides portable ops.

The gameplay was fantastic mostly.
But it had too many cutscenes. The bosses weren't cool.

I like stories to go there own way and I try not to have expectations. But this game's characters dissapointed me too much. Snake, Big Boss, Naomi and Otakon's Fling, Completely making Raiden not Raiden (he wasn't the best character before, but better than what they turned him into). Too many ridiculous directions imo.

But, Kojima did much better with peacewalker. :)
But I give MGS4 an 8.5 based on gameplay, and graphics.

Mass Effect 2.
Like a lot of bioware games was extremely modular.
Awesome shooter with awesome powers.
The story is slow but pretty good. The characters are mostly excellent but there ratio of character story/main story is off.
Imo the streamlining of weapons was better for ME2 (not DragonAge2 tho)
Morinth's Mission was great, as well as overlord. And the final mission excluding the boss. (Some of the single best missions I've ever played.)

I give it a 9.

Mass Effect 2 was my pick

RolStoppable said:
dsage01 said:

GT is meant for pro racers only. It's been the same since GT 1. GT5 was extremly fun to those who are good at racing games it's not like any typical racer that is meant for 13 year old kids. Now days reviewers are appreciating casual games more which really dissapoint me. Now days I think reviewers only look for games that are easy, fun and looks nice. GT5 is defintley fun there is no dount about that. But unlike Halo and Call of Duty GT still attracts the same type of people (Pro racers). If you have no expereince with racing games than GT5 will be a bore to you.

I haven't played GT5, only the first three games. But I think I can take your word for it that the series hasn't really changed at its core over all those years. I like to think of myself as being good at racing games and the Gran Turismo series is the most boring racing franchise in existence, because there's no real balance whatsoever. Most races are already decided when you reach the first corner of a track, because by that point you can already see that the AI won't be able to keep up. The only way to make races interesting is by deliberately trying to hit the sweet spot of using a similarly powered car as the AI. Endurance races are even worse; it's no fun at all to play the same track for an hour or more and lap the opponents a dozen times.

This glaring lack of balance in difficulty always made me believe that Gran Turismo is not meant to be a series for racing fans, but rather people who first and foremost like to look at shiny cars. Racing means fighting for positions, thrill, excitement, adrenaline pumping through your body. Gran Turismo is just driving and buying new cars. The fun aspects of Gran Turismo are tuning your car, spending your money on something. The actual races are just something you endure for the sake of improving your collection of cars.

I would have agreed with you 8 months ago when GT5 released, but with the updates GT5 has become a better racing game.  Within the first month I had already blasted through all the A-spec events [except endurance races] with ease, but the seasonal events added later and the addition of performance points and limitations, events are now of much greater dificulty. Though admidetly, the AI has not changed, the limitations make races challenging and fun again. I've recently started playing GT5 again. I've spent countless hours trying to gold all the events and licenses, and I soon will. 1st Platinum trophy here I come!

Just so you know, I'm trying to say that GT has changed from what you may know of it. Maybe you can give it a shot eventually.

^_^