By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Rolling Stone names Lady GaGa "Queen of Pop"

Fab_GS said:
blkfish92 said:
sapphi_snake said:
blkfish92 said:
Is this surprising, though I don't like at all (lol) it does make sense since she revolutionized the mainstream media.

What? She's has her own media empire too? Is she also a journalist in her spare time?

No, but she practically defined the mainstream media of music.

Would you elaborate more on that please?

I'd rather not go in depth into something that's rather obvious, well time to play some starcraft.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Thechalkblock said:
With how big Lady Gaga has become this really isn't a surprise; good for her nevertheless though. Reading about this reminds of how no one will ever take the crown of "King of Pop" from MJ haha.

I don't believe she's done what madonna has done, but has had an impact on the music industry similar to what MJ had on the industry during thriller..

Madonna's music is very deep, the non "hits", she shouldn't be thrown off so easily like that, gaga should take the title "queen of dance", or "lady of pop", she's still growing, but madonna's music is just so large and diverse, that it's hard to just throw her off.

This article is based on 2009-2011 trends, gaga began to erupt in 2008, and changed pop music with the song "Just Dance", everyone started doing "dance" influenced tracks after that song

I don't believe she's done what madonna has done, but has had an impact on the music industry similar to what MJ had on the industry during thriller.. ----nothing and I mean nothing could be further from the truth. 

oldschoolfool said:
leo-j said:
Thechalkblock said:
With how big Lady Gaga has become this really isn't a surprise; good for her nevertheless though. Reading about this reminds of how no one will ever take the crown of "King of Pop" from MJ haha.

I don't believe she's done what madonna has done, but has had an impact on the music industry similar to what MJ had on the industry during thriller..

Madonna's music is very deep, the non "hits", she shouldn't be thrown off so easily like that, gaga should take the title "queen of dance", or "lady of pop", she's still growing, but madonna's music is just so large and diverse, that it's hard to just throw her off.

This article is based on 2009-2011 trends, gaga began to erupt in 2008, and changed pop music with the song "Just Dance", everyone started doing "dance" influenced tracks after that song

I don't believe she's done what madonna has done, but has had an impact on the music industry similar to what MJ had on the industry during thriller.. ----nothing and I mean nothing could be further from the truth. 

-in your eyes, but in the eyes of the media and society..

she brought epic music videos back.. just like how MJ brought epic dance routines into music videos..

she changed the entire industry from within.. just how MJ brought out lots of wannabes, gaga is bringing out wanabes in previous "legends" like britney and christina(if you could call them legends in pop), and rihanna, and katy perry, and etc.. who changed their entire look/sound to keep up with lady gaga.. katy perry admitted to it in 2009, but the video was deleted by someone(presumebly her label) or maybe it just can't be found anymore..

she's created a "fanbase" that has never been seen before in pop music, one that has developed a "connection" between her so strongly, she's literally created a revolution.. you cannot deny that.. look all around youtube.. this is just an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPJ-o1leAw

because of her dance/techno pop became huge in the U.S

she has had 7 #1 hits on pop radio, and is approaching her 8th #1 with "edge of glory"

and she sold 1.1 Million albums week 1 in the U.S, and 2.1 million albums WW week 1, and according to her is near 5 MILLION albums LTD, and the album came out a month ago.. a pop album this day and age does not sell 5 million copies, for comparison BRITNEY SPEARS' latest effort has sold a little over 1 million copies WW, and that came out in march.

Her fashion/style changed fashion forever, before her the red carpet was boring, now everyone is trying to be extravegant, because of her.. I remember in 09 everyone even celebrities couldn't keep their eyes off her.. she literally dominated the red carpet, and still does..

MJ sold way more albums/records, but gaga could have sold way more herself had there not been piracy, she does have the most views on youtube as an individual.. period..

and was named the most powerful being on earth recently by FORBES.. that definately shows her impact through media.. now if you want to accept it it's on you..

@kowenicki

You're right, taylor swift isn't as big as she is in the U.S nor are many on that list, and yes this is (prob) a U.S list, but gaga is as big everywhere if not bigger outside of the U.S, she's an international phenom

mM
axumblade said:
badgenome said:
Queen of Poop, more like.

I thought that was Jamie Lee Curtis....Lady Gaga will never be in Activia commercials. She can just get over herself.

Good point. The closest Lady Gaga will ever come to being Jamie Lee Curtis is when she's killed by a lunatic in a William Shatner mask (hopefully).

leo-j said:
Thechalkblock said:

Songs about dancing/dance are older than time. So are songs about Friday nights, good times, getting drunk, broken hearts...

When you're trying to reach a populist audience, you paint your songs around populist themes. Nothing unites the masses like a recognition of our shared fears and hungers. And in America, letting go/having fun/being free/not give a fuck sells like goddamn crazy mainly because it's something that, to a large degree, we don't have in our lives. All of this, by the way, neatly ribboned up by using dancing as a conceit.

Please stop making these egregious ignorant claims that are just based on your own personal tastes and blind idolatry. 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood are waaaayyyy better than Lady Gaga.

blaydcor said:
leo-j said:
Thechalkblock said:

Songs about dancing/dance are older than time. So are songs about Friday nights, good times, getting drunk, broken hearts...

When you're trying to reach a populist audience, you paint your songs around populist themes. Nothing unites the masses like a recognition of our shared fears and hungers. And in America, letting go/having fun/being free/not give a fuck sells like goddamn crazy mainly because it's something that, to a large degree, we don't have in our lives. All of this, by the way, neatly ribboned up by using dancing as a conceit.

Please stop making these egregious ignorant claims that are just based on your own personal tastes and blind idolatry. 

Holy shit! A voice of reason does exist in VGC

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

leo-j said:
oldschoolfool said:
leo-j said:
Thechalkblock said:

-in your eyes, but in the eyes of the media and society..

she brought epic music videos back.. just like how MJ brought epic dance routines into music videos..

she changed the entire industry from within.. just how MJ brought out lots of wannabes, gaga is bringing out wanabes in previous "legends" like britney and christina(if you could call them legends in pop), and rihanna, and katy perry, and etc.. who changed their entire look/sound to keep up with lady gaga.. katy perry admitted to it in 2009, but the video was deleted by someone(presumebly her label) or maybe it just can't be found anymore..

she's created a "fanbase" that has never been seen before in pop music, one that has developed a "connection" between her so strongly, she's literally created a revolution.. you cannot deny that.. look all around youtube.. this is just an example

-
Are you sure about that? Lady Gaga's fanbase can't even begin to compare to the Beatles fanbase or MJ's fanbase. Heck, outside the "little monster" gimmick fanbase, there's not much following of Lady Gaga, because her music is very restrictive to the same type, to the same following. You're using Youtube as one example of her following, which is a pretty ridiculous thing to do. The video which had the fastest rising of views in the history of Youtube is Friday by Rebecca Black, does that mean she also has a massive following as well? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPJ-o1leAw

because of her dance/techno pop became huge in the U.S

she has had 7 #1 hits on pop radio, and is approaching her 8th #1 with "edge of glory"

and she sold 1.1 Million albums week 1 in the U.S, and 2.1 million albums WW week 1, and according to her is near 5 MILLION albums LTD, and the album came out a month ago.. a pop album this day and age does not sell 5 million copies, for comparison BRITNEY SPEARS' latest effort has sold a little over 1 million copies WW, and that came out in march.

MJ sold way more albums/records, but gaga could have sold way more herself had there not been piracy, she does have the most views on youtube as an individual.. period..

- Funny how you forget to mention that she only sold that huge amount with her latest CD because of the 99 cent promotion that Amazon had, which created huge losses for Amazon itself. Plus, you also forget to mention that she also had the biggest second week drop ever, completely surpassing the drop that Backstreet Boys had with Millenium. You can blame it on Piracy or everything that you want, but you'll only blind yourself to the fact that she's stagnating and that her music is not as relevant as it used to be, because unlike the musicians that held that title (And whether you like it or not, Madonna is still the Queen of Pop, as she has had an expansive career that lasted more than 3 years in the spotlight), she can't reinvent herself. Let's see how her records will sell without gimmicks or cheap publicity stunts. 

and was named the most powerful being on earth recently by FORBES.. that definately shows her impact through media.. now if you want to accept it it's on you..

- Another lie. Forbes named her the most powerful celebrity in 2011. Really, to confuse Hu Jintao with Lady Gaga, you're either letting your fandom blind you unconditionally, or you just can't read. 

@kowenicki

You're right, taylor swift isn't as big as she is in the U.S nor are many on that list, and yes this is (prob) a U.S list, but gaga is as big everywhere if not bigger outside of the U.S, she's an international phenom

There's just so many things wrong in this post that it would be pretty pointless to counter it all, so I only commented on the most ridiculous ones. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

You're just a fanboy :D

badgenome said:
Queen of Poop, more like.

Lol, you so funny.

@ OP

Sorry Rolling Stone, but that title still belongs to Madonna.  Now, if Lady Gaga is still relevant in 5-10 years (highly doubt) AND has had at least 3 albums sell 20 mil copies or more (again, highly doubt), then we can talk.