By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft “Unapologetic” About Going After Casual Audience, Aiming To Be #1 WW This YR

Seece said:
LivingMetal said:
After reading like five pages of responses, it’s quite comical how some are you are making excuses for Microsoft.

Microsoft as a company needs to make money. So anything they can do to line their pockets with cash and please the stockholders more power to them. They can start making and selling women’s personal products or oil based wall paint for all I care. But if it serves their bottom dollar, then goody for them. So instead of catering more to the core and hardcore gamer which is the more dedicated userbase, Microsoft opted to cater to the more revolving greater casual gaming market. And according to past sales and sales trends on this site, they NEED to take this route to keep up. So, yes, what they are doing is good for themselves, but not good for the core and especially hardcore gamer. And that doesn’t mean core and hardcore gamers are stuck-up, self-righteous, or whatever. Different types of gamers like different types of games. It’s that simple. And in a world of limited that time and resources, consumers have to choose what’s best for them. The consumers have been choosing the Wii and PS3 more. Now, all these three console makers are ultimately in it for the money. But it seems that Microsoft is putting their bottom dollar above the consumer far more that Sony and Nintendo because it seems that Sony and Nintendo are catering more to the core and hardcore gamers more than Microsoft is.

So if Kinect makes you that happy and Microsoft is heading towards a more casual direction, then sure. Nothing wrong with that. But there in nothing wrong with core and hardcore gamers feeling less satisfied with the Microsoft Xbox 360 because of the relatively lack of offerings to them. Yes, Microsoft owes no one an apology, but consumers don’t owe anything to Microsoft as well.

Amusing, somebody actually thinks Nintendo is offering more core games than Microsoft ^^

look up and look down,see?even you posted this year game list,they still can make some full of crap reply

also hardcore gamer only for PC,console just core at best

Around the Network
Seece said:
LivingMetal said:
After reading like five pages of responses, it’s quite comical how some are you are making excuses for Microsoft.

Microsoft as a company needs to make money. So anything they can do to line their pockets with cash and please the stockholders more power to them. They can start making and selling women’s personal products or oil based wall paint for all I care. But if it serves their bottom dollar, then goody for them. So instead of catering more to the core and hardcore gamer which is the more dedicated userbase, Microsoft opted to cater to the more revolving greater casual gaming market. And according to past sales and sales trends on this site, they NEED to take this route to keep up. So, yes, what they are doing is good for themselves, but not good for the core and especially hardcore gamer. And that doesn’t mean core and hardcore gamers are stuck-up, self-righteous, or whatever. Different types of gamers like different types of games. It’s that simple. And in a world of limited that time and resources, consumers have to choose what’s best for them. The consumers have been choosing the Wii and PS3 more. Now, all these three console makers are ultimately in it for the money. But it seems that Microsoft is putting their bottom dollar above the consumer far more that Sony and Nintendo because it seems that Sony and Nintendo are catering more to the core and hardcore gamers more than Microsoft is.

So if Kinect makes you that happy and Microsoft is heading towards a more casual direction, then sure. Nothing wrong with that. But there in nothing wrong with core and hardcore gamers feeling less satisfied with the Microsoft Xbox 360 because of the relatively lack of offerings to them. Yes, Microsoft owes no one an apology, but consumers don’t owe anything to Microsoft as well.

Amusing, somebody actually thinks Nintendo is offering more core games than Microsoft ^^

As long as Nintendo has their historic "classic" franchises, they will ALWAYS be hardcore.

LivingMetal said:
Seece said:
LivingMetal said:

As long as Nintendo has their historic "classic" franchises, they will ALWAYS be hardcore.

No, Nintendo have never been hardcore, and that isn't what I said anyway.

MS is offering more core games right now than Nintendo.

Seece said:
LivingMetal said:
Seece said:
LivingMetal said:

Nintendo's classic franchises has more of a permanent establishment in the console industry more than Sony's or Microsoft's.  This is what makes them hardcore whether you like it or not.  And it doesn't matter what you said because Microsoft is still going more casual to help sustain themselves.  As long as Nintendo cater to their core fanbase, they will be just fine.  And that's hardcore.

LivingMetal said:
Seece said:

Nintendo's classic franchises has more of a permanent establishment in the console industry more than Sony's or Microsoft's.  This is what makes them hardcore whether you like it or not.  And it doesn't matter what you said because Microsoft is still going more casual to help sustain themselves.  As long as Nintendo cater to their core fanbase, they will be just fine.  And that's hardcore.

I don't care about what you think Nintendo franchises are, that's just an opinion (highly flawed and laughable one) but as of right now, and recently, it's factually wrong to say Nintendo are serving their core gamers more than MS theirs.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Right now? Today is July 1st and Solatorobo is available in stores. What is MS offering?

This said, I'm still waiting for a core hit from Microsoft. It's been seven months and nothing but The Last Templar (which wasn't even first nor second party). They are not invested in the core. They need to take notice that Gears is the last great core entry for the year. Im starting to think the WItcher 2 was just a pity game they decided to partially fund and threw at the core without giving it much publicity. Microsoft obviously knows nothing about the core, because if they would've revealed this game at their conference towards the end, everyone would've been in awe. Simple.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Right now? Today is July 1st and Solatorobo is available in stores. What is MS offering?

This said, I'm still waiting for a core hit from Microsoft. It's been seven months and nothing but The Last Templar (which wasn't even first nor second party). They are not invested in the core. They need to take notice that Gears is the last great core entry for the year. Im starting to think the WItcher 2 was just a pity game they decided to partially fund and threw at the core without giving it much publicity. Microsoft obviously knows nothing about the core, because if they would've revealed this game at their conference towards the end, everyone would've been in awe. Simple.

Don't hate on them because they're not stupid but business savvy insted. They know exactly what the core is, and they proved this early on in the gen. Right now there is nothing to be gained by 2 million selling exclusive games.

Early next gen they'll concentrate on the more niche titles and smaller core games again, when they need too.

Seece said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Don't hate on them because they're not stupid but business savvy insted. They know exactly what the core is, and they proved this early on in the gen. Right now there is nothing to be gained by 2 million selling exclusive games.

Early next gen they'll concentrate on the more niche titles and smaller core games again, when they need too.

Theres nothing to be gained because of top exclusive games, eh? It's the reason Sony is gaining on Microsoft and now it's coming down to a mere 3 million consoles. The Kinect launch didnt stop Sony from gaining, it basically kept Microsoft making money. LOL....When Microsoft was focused on the core, it wasn't small. First of all, outside of PC gamers, who knows about the Witcher? No one. It wont sell that great on the 360 either because Microsoft is really showing how poorly they are invested in probably the best RPG of the year. E3 was not a great start if they wanted to throw the core a bone. Get this buddy, the Witcher 2 is based off of a known Polish book seires. If they publicized this properly it could help with their European sales for non-PC gamers whom im starting to think are mainly invested in the PS3 right about now.

P.S.

On a casual front I would've given Microsoft an A+ at E3, but with that said on the core front they are very week.

Seece said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Exactly its funny how people act like Sony haveing Infamous, Killzone, and LBP is like awesomesause for sales and stuff.  Kinect Sports will outsell all those games.

The fact is at the end of the day MS are trying to expand their audience.  They already have the core and the core aren't going anywhere, because as I've stated before the COMMON consumer doesn't give two craps about a game being exclusive.  Look at the sales of multi-plats, thats where most gamers go.  This late in the generation the only thing thats going to bring in new consumers are new experiences and MS is trying to establish that with Kinect.

A bunch of niche (though good quality) exclusives like I listed above really aren't going to do much to push a system. 

BenVTrigger said:
Seece said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
RolStoppable said:
Seece said:

Exactly its funny how people act like Sony haveing Infamous, Killzone, and LBP is like awesomesause for sales and stuff.  Kinect Sports will outsell all those games.

The fact is at the end of the day MS are trying to expand their audience.  They already have the core and the core aren't going anywhere, because as I've stated before the COMMON consumer doesn't give two craps about a game being exclusive.  Look at the sales of multi-plats, thats where most gamers go.  This late in the generation the only thing thats going to bring in new consumers are new experiences and MS is trying to establish that with Kinect.

A bunch of niche (though good quality) exclusives like I listed above really aren't going to do much to push a system. 

1.Kinect Sports is bundled with the kinect. (Of course its going to sell more as a casual draw)

2. InFamous 2, Killzone and LBP are great......for gathering core gamers.

3. Microsoft had the core because they were the cheaper HD alternative and were more dedicated to the core back then (2005-2009). I say its a good change of pace, but dont just dont forget who brought them to the dance. Gamers are fickle today and will jump ship at any moment. Go to a gamestop or Play N Trade to see what I mean.

4.Exclusives don't mean anything to a casual, but peripherals do, which is why Kinect is beating out the Move. I don't think Sony can think of a periphoeral that alienates the core. The move is the core peripheral out of all three consoles motion controls, but the question is will the core still want it? Thats something only time will tell. Kinect is as simple as simple gets. Thats why Microsoft is having as easy a time where as Sony doesnt seem to be as invested.

5. I've realized Sony is more focused on core than the casual (but are still gaining) and Microsoft being focused on the casual are putting them on equal footing. A lot of gamers are jumping ship or having both consoles now that the PS3 is affordable.

6. The Kinect is bigger than the 360, just remember that. It will expand to the PC.