By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - hardcore gamer = hardcore loser

S.T.A.G.E. said:
DirtyP2002 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft's Kinect Software from a first party perspective is not looking level or even close to their core offerings. It's all Kinect with a bit of Forza, the last Gears title and yet another Halo. If you don't like enough core IP's compliment your yearly multiplat offerings then ok, most of the 360 owners I've spoken to actually like multiplats more than the core 360 titles (as of late) or even PS3 exclusives for that matter. To you this might not look like much, but to me it looks like desperation. My reasoning for this being that the hardcore gamers are the most invested in said companies. Casuals may be the majority but their sales will never, ever be stable (exclude Nintendo from this because their situation is a bit different). Casuals might get one, two maybe even three games a year. Core for sure 5-10 on average (if they can afford it). We all have witnessed the dreaded Wii shovelware library that has graced a Gamestop near anyone. Within it you find a few pleasant gems, mostly in the core realm and yes even in the casual realm. Nintendo stands out because it matches nostalgia and set character personalities which stand the test of time and could be considered casual, yet have are still the most beloved characters. Sony and Microsoft cannot find a title to rival a Zelda or a Mario. Little Big Planet was supposed to be that game, but it is great in its own way. The hardcore may be the most ignorant, argument infused wretches, but guess what my friend.....we are the heart of the gaming industry. We keep it running. Casuals keep it expanding.

P.S.

It takes a casual to become a core gamer. I think this metamorphosis will take place most with children as games will capture their imagination, creativity and even take place of other forms of entertainment (like movies, cartoons) because videogames today are doing it all as opposed to yesteryear. It sucks for kids though, because games for their age group aren't what they used to be and the quality has dropped horribly as well.

that is the arrogance I was talking about.
You and me are not the heart of the industry. We are just 2 freaking nerds.

When there is no core gamer left, the industry will live on. Maybe transfer (maybe for good), but not die.

You don't know how wrong you are. Casuals only support select games. Cores mostly have a list of games they will buy a year or more in advance and use the most expendable income out of the two towards the gaming industry. For instance, look at the sigs of half the core gamers on this site. Point #1. I never denied that casuals make up the mass of the gaming market, your first mistake was overlooking that. I know of their contributions and I know of ours. We aren't just "some nerds", we are the support beam.

10 years ago Halo was considered a "Casual" game because it was very popular with Frat-Boys who were a-typical gamers ...

The market evolves as more gamers enter into it and increase their interest in gaming. 10 years from now the gamers you see as "Casual" today will probably have many of the same characteristics you associate with core gamers today.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DirtyP2002 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft's Kinect Software from a first party perspective is not looking level or even close to their core offerings. It's all Kinect with a bit of Forza, the last Gears title and yet another Halo. If you don't like enough core IP's compliment your yearly multiplat offerings then ok, most of the 360 owners I've spoken to actually like multiplats more than the core 360 titles (as of late) or even PS3 exclusives for that matter. To you this might not look like much, but to me it looks like desperation. My reasoning for this being that the hardcore gamers are the most invested in said companies. Casuals may be the majority but their sales will never, ever be stable (exclude Nintendo from this because their situation is a bit different). Casuals might get one, two maybe even three games a year. Core for sure 5-10 on average (if they can afford it). We all have witnessed the dreaded Wii shovelware library that has graced a Gamestop near anyone. Within it you find a few pleasant gems, mostly in the core realm and yes even in the casual realm. Nintendo stands out because it matches nostalgia and set character personalities which stand the test of time and could be considered casual, yet have are still the most beloved characters. Sony and Microsoft cannot find a title to rival a Zelda or a Mario. Little Big Planet was supposed to be that game, but it is great in its own way. The hardcore may be the most ignorant, argument infused wretches, but guess what my friend.....we are the heart of the gaming industry. We keep it running. Casuals keep it expanding.

P.S.

It takes a casual to become a core gamer. I think this metamorphosis will take place most with children as games will capture their imagination, creativity and even take place of other forms of entertainment (like movies, cartoons) because videogames today are doing it all as opposed to yesteryear. It sucks for kids though, because games for their age group aren't what they used to be and the quality has dropped horribly as well.

that is the arrogance I was talking about.
You and me are not the heart of the industry. We are just 2 freaking nerds.

When there is no core gamer left, the industry will live on. Maybe transfer (maybe for good), but not die.

You don't know how wrong you are. Casuals only support select games. Cores mostly have a list of games they will buy a year or more in advance and use the most expendable income out of the two towards the gaming industry. For instance, look at the sigs of half the core gamers on this site. Point #1. I never denied that casuals make up the mass of the gaming market, your first mistake was overlooking that. I know of their contributions and I know of ours. We aren't just "some nerds", we are the support beam.

10 years ago Halo was considered a "Casual" game because it was very popular with Frat-Boys who were a-typical gamers ...

The market evolves as more gamers enter into it and increase their interest in gaming. 10 years from now the gamers you see as "Casual" today will probably have many of the same characteristics you associate with core gamers today.

10 years ago Videogames had a stigma attached to it that it was for children. Everyone bought their children super mario and arcades were abundant in the west. Casual back then was not the same as today. Not only has console gaming killed arcade gaming where I live, but online gaming was the final nail in the coffin. Nintendo was the equivalent to disney. Sony brought maturity and increased tech to gaming (nothing innovative though).  Gaming on par with computer and multimedia tech. Today casual games are the family in the house, not just some date at arcade you  came with a bag of quarters to impress. Casual games today are more for everyone, no stigma attached and it also includes an in depth online, multimedia and cinematic approach. Secondly games period are almost if not on par with hollywood films. Times have changed my friend. With peoples newly opened minds its never been easier for the industry to expand.