By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - hardcore gamer = hardcore loser

I love my Wii. Don't see any reason to purchase Kinect or Move yet, but that can always change. However, I don't actually think Kinect SHOULD have hardcore games to succeed. Objectively, of course. Subjectively, I would want a game or two that use the hardware well instead of being tacked on, so as to sell me on the peripheral (mainly because I haven't seen a casual game on it that really appeals to me).

My only issue is with the people who love to throw the "elitist" label around. It's not really difficult to understand. We don't mind devs trying to broaden the appeal of a series, but to remove vital things that MADE the series what it is, or just copy paste another series, both of which turn the game into generic levels...that's what we take issue with.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

You have a Lena avatar and like Borrusia Dortmund. And you call others a loser?

Oh please.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

This is hardcore gamer.

I really hate the word hardcore gamer. The only people who call themselves this are the elitist casuals. They are the type who buy the same franchises every year i.e Fifa, COD, HALO and NFS and think that every other game is terrible by comparrisson.

I don't know what I am tbh. I have been gaming for about 15 years, I collect rare rpg's but love every genre. Any spare money I have, I spend on games. I am very proud of my games collection and will continue to expand it and take pride in it.

What type of gamer am I?

Play4Fun said:
Dr.Grass said:
Play4Fun said:
Dr.Grass said:
Play4Fun said:

Which is exactly my problem with the OP, except its even worse because he groups us all in there.

And I.T.O VIDEOGAMES (!) I am CERTAINLY more intelligent than a casual gamer. Most people on this site can make faaar better choices than for instance my brother who bought a PS3 with some old crappy shooter today...At least he got LA Noire, oh well...

I'll ask again to rather adress my points than trying to bash my ego, because I don't really care if you think I'm full of myself.

EDIT:

''No. You didn't 'tear apart' anything because your points were not particularly good.''

This is a big world and I am too lazy to look where you come from, but maybe you should consider that people have different definitions of phrases, so if yours doesn't fit mine (which I supplied), then there's no point going on about it is there? 

EDIT 2:

Barbados eh. Well, I love cricket and weed, but this thing between us just isn't going to work out.

Yeah...I know what 'tear apart" means. There's no different meaning.

"I.T.O VIDEOGAMES (!) I am CERTAINLY more intelligent than a casual gamer."

How so? If you think a game like, say, WiiFit is shovelware crap but a 'casual' gamer chooses to buy it because it's the kind of experience he/she is looking for, how does that make him/her less intelligent than you?

Your choice is based on what you want to play and his/her choice is based on what he/she wants to play. Your preference regarding videogames does not reflect your intelligence.

BECAUSE I DIDN'T WASTE A TON OF MONEY ON DUKE NUKEM LIKE SOME OTHER PEOPLE THAT DON'T FOLLOW THE VIDEOGAME SCENE.

You have no right to throw Wii-fit into the argument. In fact, you are not even arguing against me as I have made no statements implying the opposite. Also, I have never excplicitly called myself a 'hardcore gamer' as I think using this terminology is lame and uncecessary.

NOW IF YOU SAY THERE IS NO BENEFIT AS A CONSUMER TO KNOWING THE VG INDUSTRY WELL THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE!?

EDIT:

''Your choice is based on what you want to play and his/her choice is based on what he/she wants to play. Your preference regarding videogames does not reflect your intelligence.''

So you are ACTUALLY saying that the choices some of the guys that have been on this website for 3/4/5 years are NO better than someone who casually buys a PS3!? I am sorry, but the WHOLE point of VG websites is disappearing before my eyes.

When I was 11 I made a major mistake in my life. It was Christmas, and I had had my PSOne for a year and a half or so. Games were VERY expensive and I got maybe 5 or 6 per year. I made the unfortunate decision of buying 'Tomorrow Never Dies'. My dad wasted a big chunk of cash on that steaming pile of crap, SIMPLY because I couldn't make a better decision due to lack of knowledge. If you don't see how this happens in the gaming industry, or your convoluted use of the word 'intelligence' is standing in the way of you realizing this simple fact then I think this discussion is rather meaningless.

You know, I'm not even sure if you read everything I write.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
Play4Fun said:
Dr.Grass said:
Play4Fun said:
Dr.Grass said:
Play4Fun said:

Which is exactly my problem with the OP, except its even worse because he groups us all in there.

And I.T.O VIDEOGAMES (!) I am CERTAINLY more intelligent than a casual gamer. Most people on this site can make faaar better choices than for instance my brother who bought a PS3 with some old crappy shooter today...At least he got LA Noire, oh well...

I'll ask again to rather adress my points than trying to bash my ego, because I don't really care if you think I'm full of myself.

EDIT:

''No. You didn't 'tear apart' anything because your points were not particularly good.''

This is a big world and I am too lazy to look where you come from, but maybe you should consider that people have different definitions of phrases, so if yours doesn't fit mine (which I supplied), then there's no point going on about it is there? 

EDIT 2:

Barbados eh. Well, I love cricket and weed, but this thing between us just isn't going to work out.

How so? If you think a game like, say, WiiFit is shovelware crap but a 'casual' gamer chooses to buy it because it's the kind of experience he/she is looking for, how does that make him/her less intelligent than you?

Your choice is based on what you want to play and his/her choice is based on what he/she wants to play. Your preference regarding videogames does not reflect your intelligence.

BECAUSE I DIDN'T WASTE A TON OF MONEY ON DUKE NUKEM LIKE SOME OTHER PEOPLE THAT DON'T FOLLOW THE VIDEOGAME SCENE.

You have no right to throw Wii-fit into the argument. In fact, you are not even arguing against me as I have made no statements implying the opposite. Also, I have never excplicitly called myself a 'hardcore gamer' as I think using this terminology is lame and uncecessary.

NOW IF YOU SAY THERE IS NO BENEFIT AS A CONSUMER TO KNOWING THE VG INDUSTRY WELL THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE!?

I can see this discussion is upsetting you so I'm out.

Play4Fun said:
Dr.Grass said:
Play4Fun said:
Dr.Grass said:
Play4Fun said:
Dr.Grass said:
Play4Fun said:

EDIT:

EDIT 2:

I can see this discussion is upsetting you so I'm out.

No. I'm thinking if I CAPS LOCK the important sentances then maybe you would take the time to read them and respond to them instead of going on a tangent.

BenVTrigger said:
I agree with you 10000000000%

I mean seriously, these "Core Gamers" are some of the most biased and over opinoinated people I've ever met. Not to mention they have ZERO idea on how a business works.

Look at my Gamerscore and Trophy list if the average gamer saw that would think "Hey he must be pretty hardcore" but the thing is I HAVE ZERO desire to be lumped with that group. The Wii and Kinect are GREAT for the audience they are playing to. Just because someone doesn't enjoy that type of experience doesn't mean they should BASH on the console and the gamers who do enjoy those experiences.

I play Halo, Gears of War, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Infamous, Uncharted, Killzone, and all those other core games and love them. But at the same time I can flip on my Kinect pop in Dance Central, Kinect Adventures, or Kinect Sports and have the time of my life playing with my Girlfirend and Family. They are both great types of experiences.

Wish there was a thumbs up in the forums section too!

*thumbs up*

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Dr.Grass said:

EDIT:

''Your choice is based on what you want to play and his/her choice is based on what he/she wants to play. Your preference regarding videogames does not reflect your intelligence.''

So you are ACTUALLY saying that the choices some of the guys that have been on this website for 3/4/5 years are NO better than someone who casually buys a PS3!? I am sorry, but the WHOLE point of VG websites is disappearing before my eyes.

When I was 11 I made a major mistake in my life. It was Christmas, and I had had my PSOne for a year and a half or so. Games were VERY expensive and I got maybe 5 or 6 per year. I made the unfortunate decision of buying 'Tomorrow Never Dies'. My dad wasted a big chunk of cash on that steaming pile of crap, SIMPLY because I couldn't make a better decision due to lack of knowledge. If you don't see how this happens in the gaming industry, or your convoluted use of the word 'intelligence' is standing in the way of you realizing this simple fact then I think this discussion is rather meaningless.

I think you're projecting too much of your own dislike for some of these games on other people ...

If someone thoroughly enjoys a game they purchased with their own money why would anyone consider their purchase of that game a mistake? If they don’t have an option of buying a better game in a similar genre, why are they demeaned for buying a game you may not approve of?

HappySqurriel said:
Dr.Grass said:

EDIT:

I think you're projecting too much of your own dislike for some of these games on other people ...

If someone thoroughly enjoys a game they purchased with their own money why would anyone consider their purchase of that game a mistake? If they don’t have an option of buying a better game in a similar genre, why are they demeaned for buying a game you may not approve of?

No-one thoroughly enjoyed Duke Nukem.