By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Last Story confirmed ... for Europe ..... France

gumby_trucker said:
Silver-Tiger said:

I didn't know an announcement for a localization could be a bad thing...

Why not just be happy that at least we Europeans get the game? For all we know, it's a first step that you Americans get the game, too...

I hear what you're saying, we're not trying to be ungrateful... this is way past that point. Ever since the Wii was launched NoA have been promising games and not releasing them. Besides the ones Alfredo mentioned there is also NPC Pikmin 2 (wtf NoA??) and also some VC games like FF3 and others for the DS as well.

This in addition to the games neither Europe nor America got like the Fatal Frames, NPC Chibi Robo, Zangeki no Reginleiv and more, is by now giving the impression Nintendo care more about selling hardware than software and that if it isn't a 5 million-plus seller, it's not worth having on their console.

This kind of business approach is both anti-creative and self-destructive, because it guarantees a diminishing number of genres, so that eventually everyone will get bored of them, just like what's happening with Guitar games and CoD games.

The focus is on NoA atm because they are the worst offenders (both NoE and NCL do a pretty good job localizing unique games), but  the true issue is in fact that of having a global market which is big enough to support diversity, vs. a compartmentalized market where each part is too small to make a difference.
(If you want to put it in different terms, it's similar to how Al Gore lost the elections to Bush Jr. )

Personally I'm hoping this doesn't end with NoA, but rather continues into the start of the next gen, so that everyone can play whatever games they want. It might even help out some Japanese devs who think nobody outside Japan cares about their style of games anymore...

damn this was a great post, u should send this to Sean Malestrom n his legion of crazies who just want to see 2d mario n WiiWhateverthehell

Around the Network
gumby_trucker said:
dano said:
gumby_trucker said:

I agree with you that blocking homebrew is one way to fight piracy, it's just that I'm getting sick of companies telling me how I can or cannot use their products, which I've purchased with my own money. Nintendo blocking access to the shop channel or other stuff for those who have a modded console is one thing, as the shop is a service they are providing on their terms. It's still rather stupid and pointless, since they do such a lousy job of blocking these things, and modders on Wii aren't exactly harming other players like they are on PSN, etc.

In fact the only thing Nintendo have successfully completely blocked on Wii is region-switching... Kind of ironic, isn't it?

You see, that´s why i didn´t want to take the risk and mod my console, i know how you feel about them telling you how to use or what you can do to a product you paid money to OWN, but that´s the way it is and the risk is there that if you something else with it (like homebrew) they have the means to punish you in a way.

I´m whilling to take the risk and mod my wii for these games, specially Xenoblade, i watched a live stream when it came out for a few hours and it was absoulutely fantastic.

I agree with everything you said. I mean, even if you don't end up losing features by modding it, you still lose some of the 'magic' that comes from having a cohesive interface. I too am always in favor of supporting devs for their hard work by spending my hard-earned cash on their products, both in order to show appreciation and in order to guarantee I get more of the games I like (not to mention the whole 'stealing = bad' thing )

Anyway, I apologize for dragging you into this debate against your will

Hopefully when this is over we can give peace a chance, as the man said.

Hey don´t worry, that´s why we  have and participate in these forums to begin with, it was a good conversation and i´m glad you agree with me. =)

wii fc : 7188 5379 1382 7074
smash fc :2234 6924 8637

gamertag : Dano2688

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

damn this was a great post, u should send this to Sean Malestrom n his legion of crazies who just want to see 2d mario n WiiWhateverthehell

What would that be good for? Sean Malstrom and his legion are taking the same position, that Xenoblade and all those other games should be released.

so they dont believe if a game doesnt move consoles it should not be made??? then i stand corrected

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:
RolStoppable said:

What would that be good for? Sean Malstrom and his legion are taking the same position, that Xenoblade and all those other games should be released.

so they dont believe if a game doesnt move consoles it should not be made??? then i stand corrected

Yes, they don't believe that. They are merely against games which have proven to not move hardware (and thus not growing gaming) taking priority which is something Nintendo has repeatedly been guilty of. The Malstrom idealism is about growing gaming into the biggest entertainment medium. Not in revenue, but in the number of people who consume these goods.

But in that respect aren't Mario Party 9 or Fortune Street bigger hardware movers than Xenoblade/TLS? Or is it ok to release the latter according to Malstrom, as long as you also release the former?

I can appreciate the idea of appealing to new customers, but it should never come at the cost of holding on to the ones you've got. This poses a problem because eventually you hit a ceiling where all your developers are tied up with popular franchises, and you don't have enough man-power to produce new ones.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

RolStoppable said:

Also, if gaming grows, then so should companies involved in it. That would naturally prevent hitting the ceiling you speak of. More sales, more revenue, more jobs being created etc.

Sounds good enough for me but the industry is not necessarily moving in this direction. I think they are moving the direction of bigger, more expensive games that take more man hours to develop and (in theory) appeal to a wider audience.

That means any additional revenue made goes into making about the same number of games, if not less...

the original trolls

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Around the Network

Didn't Nintendo already announce that some past Japan only games will be saved and released in America after the Wii U launch? These games are going to be used to keep the Wii going after Wii U comes out.

IMO, we will see the following games released in 2012 in America:

Xenoblade
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Fatal Frame 2 Remake
Dynamic Slash

any announcements for an Australian release date?

*Sound Of Rain said:
Didn't Nintendo already announce that some past Japan only games will be saved and released in America after the Wii U launch? These games are going to be used to keep the Wii going after Wii U comes out.

IMO, we will see the following games released in 2012 in America:

Xenoblade
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Fatal Frame 2 Remake
Dynamic Slash

the thing with that is, will people care by then??? If people r gonna buy Wii Us, then those games r not gonna move any Wii hardware

RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:

Sounds good enough for me but the industry is not necessarily moving in this direction. I think they are moving the direction of bigger, more expensive games that take more man hours to develop and (in theory) appeal to a wider audience.

That means any additional revenue made goes into making about the same number of games, if not less...

Yes, the industry is moving in the wrong direction. Blockbusters and shovelware without much of a middleground.

This is why it's necessary to expand the gaming population. The more people, the more probable it is for more different types of games to be successful and with that the middleground can return. Otherwise we'll be left with a key genres that see well made titles while all the rest is relegated to low budget productions. This is a trend that can already be clearly noticed on the HD consoles. If you remove first party games from the equation, then the results are even more damning.

How is the audience supposed to expand if all the industry is offering are expensive established franchises or shovelware?

the original trolls

RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:
RolStoppable said:

Yes, the industry is moving in the wrong direction. Blockbusters and shovelware without much of a middleground.

This is why it's necessary to expand the gaming population. The more people, the more probable it is for more different types of games to be successful and with that the middleground can return. Otherwise we'll be left with a key genres that see well made titles while all the rest is relegated to low budget productions. This is a trend that can already be clearly noticed on the HD consoles. If you remove first party games from the equation, then the results are even more damning.

How is the audience supposed to expand if all the industry is offering are expensive established franchises or shovelware?

I hope that's a rhethorical question. Otherwise I have a hard time following this conversation.

What I mean is an expanded audience isn't enough for the industry to change their ways... Supposedly the audience has expanded quite a lot this gen, and yet most developers and publishers are back to their old shenanigans.

If I was a newcomer interested in get into gaming, what kind of experiences would be offered to me that weren't offered back in 2006-7?

If those games didn't get me playing then, what is there today that is different? (and also of high enough quality)

the original trolls