By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - F.3.A.R. - played it? If so, what do you think?

Tagged games:

I haven't played it but I did see a demo of it at E3 2010 and just thought that it wasn't scary. Too much shooting, not enough spookiness. And the few journos I talked to after the demo seemed to agree. Which is a shame, because I enjoyed the first game. It made me scream like a sissy girl quite a few times. ;)

"But I don't want to go among mad people!" said Alice. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "We're all mad here."

Follow me on Twitter! @stefaniefogel

Around the Network
StefanieFogel said:
I haven't played it but I did see a demo of it at E3 2010 and just thought that it wasn't scary. Too much shooting, not enough spookiness. And the few journos I talked to after the demo seemed to agree. Which is a shame, because I enjoyed the first game. It made me scream like a sissy girl quite a few times. ;)

While I agree with you...I also understand that after 2 games and 2 expansion packs, all using the same scare tricks...it is a little hard to scare people. So I don't blame them for focusing on other elements...

Ive just finished the first level and the gameplay is as smooth as butter, the game is not very scary and I seem to walk by the oh shit! moments. So far im really enjoying it.

-Newcloud- said:
Ive just finished the first level and the gameplay is as smooth as butter, the game is not very scary and I seem to walk by the oh shit! moments. So far im really enjoying it.

I too have to say that this may become my favorite FEAR game so far, but for completely different reasons compared to why I loved FEAR 1.

This one has almost a Halo-like quality of being able to entertain in very short bursts(the gameplay is nothing like Halo though). Its best played 30-60 minutes at a time...Today I played it 5 times for like 30-40 minutes at a time and each time was very fun.

THere were 2 things that makde FEAR good. Some really nice horror and some amazing gunfights, a lot of which had to do with the AI as well.

F3AR (stupid name too) had neither of those things. The horror was obviously absolutely terrible. Now on to to actual gameplay.

Three things describe why the game was actually bad. AI was not as good, regenerating health, and two guns at a time. When all three are put together you get another shitty Halo, Cod, etc. etc.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
THere were 2 things that makde FEAR good. Some really nice horror and some amazing gunfights, a lot of which had to do with the AI as well.

F3AR (stupid name too) had neither of those things. The horror was obviously absolutely terrible. Now on to to actual gameplay.

Three things describe why the game was actually bad. AI was not as good, regenerating health, and two guns at a time. When all three are put together you get another shitty Halo, Cod, etc. etc.

I think you're wrong on the second one. I found the gameplay and gunfights to be great on medium difficulty.

Also, I really don't care about howmany guns they let me use at a time but I agree its stupid that they only allow 2. Regenerating health I actually like as it keeps thing fast paced and I don't have to look for health.

So to me the game had no scares but terrific gunplay and very interesting multiplayer and coop options neither of the fear games have had before.

disolitude said:
vlad321 said:

I think you're wrong on the second one. I found the gameplay and gunfights to be great on medium difficulty.

Also, I really don't care about howmany guns they let me use at a time but I agree its stupid that they only allow 2. Regenerating health I actually like as it keeps thing fast paced and I don't have to look for health.

So to me the game had no scares but terrific gunplay and very interesting multiplayer and coop options neither of the fear games have had before.

Mayeb medium dfficulty was the key, because I played through it on fearless and it was just boring crouch, uncrouch, shoot, repeat. That is how the game was beat basically.

As for regenerating health and why it's a terrible idea, look at my sig's post, since there is no point in me rehashing it all here. In the end the gunplay was just mediocre, and even LOOKED mediocre. FEAR had shitty environment graphics, but they effects graphics, eventhough they weren't high tech, were just amazing.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:

Sadly I thoroughly agree with you. Heck, even the freaks in the mall had better AI than the normal soldier enemies >_>. F.E.A.R 3 is probably the worst of the F.E.A.R games in the departements that made F.E.A.R stand out from the rest of the FPS blob (and yes, i'm counting the expansion packs as well, even the supremely crappy Perseus Mandate).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"