By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How important are achievements/trophies to you when buying a game?

How Important are achievements/trophies to you in a game?

Extremely Important! I li... 6 8.00%

Very Important! I base mu... 13 17.33%

Important. I enjoy gettin... 20 26.67%

Not very important. I onl... 29 38.67%

Scum of the earth! Their ... 7 9.33%

Total:75

there not important to me at all until I've atleast finished the core game, after that they add a nice reason to replay the game, although I've still never got all the trophies/achievements on any game apart from trials hd which was an arcade game

End of 2012 prediction:

xbox 360 : 73-75 million  playstation 3 : 72-74 million  wii : 104-105 million 

Most hyped for :

Bioshock: infinte, The Last Of Us, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Agent

Around the Network

Not so important anymore, I won't hesistate to buy a game if I really want too but the achievements are hard, this is coming from a cheevo whore so it's a big deal!

They weren't a big deal to me until a good friend and I started a competition. Now it's just fun to one up each other. Achievements are probably Microsofts greatest original contribution to console gaming.

I like them, I love getting them and I do go for them but I would never just buy a game for them or play a game I hated just to get them, I mean gaming is still about fun, trophies and achievements just add to it a little

NONE

i don't know a game has them until they pop up for doing something stupid or story driven. Its like "Achievement for beating the training, or prologue" ect. stupid box pops up on screen and tells me something OBVIOUS and pointless.

i actually despise trophies and achievements. even the ones that are like super hard to get. they are pointless they don't give you anything. you don't get some unlockable, nothing. just pointless points that nerds like to show off to others.

Around the Network

I'm in the middle all about the competition with platinum's :)

Allfreedom99 said:
BenVTrigger said:
Honestly yeah they are a big deal to me now days. I'm pretty hooked on them but not to the point where I game JUST for achieves / trophies but they do influence my purchase. Its honestly one of the reasons I still don't have a 3DS and why I'm still thinking I might not get a Wii U. If Nintendo never embraces a similar system I'll probably never buy a Nintendo console ever again.

But that sounds worse than I mean it. Its just now days they've become such a common feature it feels lazy to not implement them. I mean even stuff like Steam and Games for Windows on the PC have achieves so for Nintendo to just blatantly ignore that kind of bothers me. Imagine Smash Bros and Zelda with achievements = awesome.

So pretty much yeah I love Achievements / Trophies cause they extend my gameplay experience, encourage me to try things in games I never would have thought to do the first time, and allow me to track my friends and see what they are playing and how much they've spent with a game.

I couldn't agree more about Nintendo not including them. I think they do add more playability to games and enjoyability. I am disapointed that they have not added a system like this to their gaming devices. Do you think they have any effect on sales? or no effect?

here is an example of why i would NOT want achievements in nintendo games. 

in the ps3/360 games you collect say 100 randomly found items in the game and you get an ACHIEVEMENT or TROPHY. 

in a nintnedo game you collect say 100 randomly found items in the game and you UNLOCK something in teh game like a new armor, infinite money, replay the game as luigi, ect. 

They're pretty much "must-have" features now. I don't reply any of my older games now that don't have trophies. I also don't spend a lot of time on games that have extremely difficult trophies/achievements. Trophies/achievements should be fun little awards you get as you play through the game (like in Assassin's Creed 2) and not some outrageously difficult quest (like the ones in Resistance 2, bleh).

Edit: Also, online trophies that are required to get in order to attain a platinum HAVE to go.

endimion said:
I never look at the achievement list prior to buying a game.... I do not care about it for my decision on buying a game.... now that said I do try to get them when they make sens and/or are challenging without beingh completely outside the game itself....
I hate when they do a bunch of stupid collectibles just for the sake of achievement....especially if you don't unlock secrets for the story.... like collect all the blue orbs... or get all the dead pigeons... but beside that nothing I hate that and don't even bother trying to get it.....

now if there is a clear up that level without using weapon, or staying on foot, or in less than 2min stuff like that and they are doable in less than a week of practice I always give them a try....

so yeah I don't try to get all of them... I don't care about them when it comes to the purchase decision.... but I'll try to have the one I like for my bragging rights with my friends and to sometimes to have more fun with a game i finished but I really liked....

I think some achievement when well done extend the replayability of a game.... and yet if you don't like it you don't have to do it.... I think they are a great addition to the games in general...

This! But on the trophy side.

I never purchase a game based on its trophy list. And I never hunt for all the trophies, but every now and then I will commit some time to obtaining interesting trophies. So far, I have 0 platinums, and I think it will always be that way. Getting every single trophy is too time consuming for me with the limited time I have for gaming, I need to just enjoy the experience of playing before the next big thing gets released. If I spend my time trying to platinum,I would probably get to play 2 or 3 games a year cause some of those trophies are just ridiculous and are really for people who don't only have the devotion to get them, but the much needed time as well.

I am not against them though, I do think they add a layer of experience to the game, and can be appreciated at different levels by different gamers. The trophy chime almost always puts a smile on my face.

achievements == meh