By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 BLUE SCREEN?!?! HELP

Hi everyone, on Sunday I went to turn on my ps3 and was greeted with a blue screen, the start up music for the ps3 played in the background, but the screen was completly blue. So I held in the PS button on the controller and it brought up the the screen you would usually get when you hold in the PS button (TURN OFF THE SYSTEM - TURN OFF THE CONTROLLER) the only difference was that there was no writing, just the black screen with the 'X' & 'O' symbols at the bottom of the screen. I knew it should already be sitting on 'TURN OFF THE SYSTEM' so I proceeded to press  'X', the system powered down and restared with 'SONY MAKE.BELIEVE' written on the screen, it proceeded to ask me for my language, date, time, internet connection etc, just like the intial setup. As soon as I got into the XMB, everything was the same (except for the wallpaper), I had all my saves, games, videos, pics, music etc. But I had to Sign Up to the PSN again (same account)!

Everything went fine after that, so later on I went to bed, got up the next day, turned on the ps3 and was greeted with the same blue screen again! I was really beginning to worry, I went through the same set up as the day before. I decided to do some detective work, I turned the ps3 off and left it on standy by mode, came back later on, switched it on, no blue screen! I switched it off, flicked the switch on the back to completly to turn the ps3 off, left it for awhile, came back, turned it on, and there was no blue screen again! So, I thought it was fixed, I continued to play my ps3 until I switched everything off and went to bed. Next morning I awoke, turned on the ps3, low and behold I was once again greeted with the damn blue screen, I googled the problem, found a page where someone had mentioned the HDMI cable, so I went back to the ps3, disconnected the HDMI cable and inserted it in another HDMI slot, turned on the ps3 again and NO BLUE SCREEN! The picture seemed to be that bit brighter than it was before, so I put the problem down to a dodgy HDMI slot!

Next day, I ventured out of bed and flicked on the ps3 to see if it was still fixed, but no, I was greeted once again with a blue screen, in a rage, I went to the side of the TV, pulled out the HDMI cable, put it back in the same slot and turned on the PS3! And, NO BLUE SCREEN!

So, is this problem down to a dodgy HDMI cable? It seems that when it's turned off at the mains for awhile that the problem occurs! It does not happen if the Ps3 is in standby mode for awhile or if it's turned off via the power button at the back of the ps3!  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Around the Network

sounds very odd.
all I can think of (probably wrongly) is there are maybe a few dodgy sectors on the HDD?
...also weird that changing the HDMI cable brought the writing back.
maybe try backing up and swapping out the HDD for a new one of you can.
Otherwise I'm all out of ideas

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Why did you install Windows on your PS3?

Spankey said:
sounds very odd.
all I can think of (probably wrongly) is there are maybe a few dodgy sectors on the HDD?
...also weird that changing the HDMI cable brought the writing back.
maybe try backing up and swapping out the HDD for a new one of you can.
Otherwise I'm all out of ideas

I know, it's very weird! I changed the HDD to a 500Gb about a year ago, so I really don't want to change it again. I'm hoping that it's just an HDMI problem, I don't think it's anything to do with the PS3, because it's working fine when the blue screen disappears. It's really annoying!

Galaki said:
Why did you install Windows on your PS3?

Now that you mention Windows, I had my Ps3 connected with my PC for Media sharing! But I stopped the media sharing a couple of days ago! I can't remember if it was before or after the first blue screen, I'm leaning towards, before.

Would stopping it having anything to do with the Blue screen?

Around the Network

is it a fatty? or a slim?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
is it a fatty? or a slim?

Fatty! 60Gb UK Launch model! Turned 4yrs old last month.

I've never had a problem like that.

Currently downloading the new optional system update (3.65) to see if it'll do anything, unlikely, but thought I'd try anyway.

Saw some links when typing PS3 blue screen into Google but most didn't provide that good of information dealing with it.
Perhaps it is just the HDMI cable (which seems to be the case)  Get another one or borrow one from friend and try it out.  If you are still having problems after a new HDMI cable then maybe try recovery mode or swab your hard drive out.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/Oh-dear-blue-screen-of-death-on-my-PS3/td-p/5896481