By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Going Multiplat - FAIL EDITION

Going multiplat means longer development time, which means larger production costs, and splitting up the dev team by having to work on seperate systems. It also means working around the 360's DVD limit (FFXIII and LA NOIRE for example)

The payoff is supposed to be a larger audience (more sales), but this isnt always the case.

Ninja Theory worked on PS3 exclusive Heavenly Sword. It sold 1.48 million at a time when PS3 had a small user base. 

They went multiplat with Enslaved and only sold 0.59 on 360 and PS3 combined. Not even half of what they sold on PS3, and Enslaved was actually a decent game with about the same quality as Heavenly Sword.

Tekken 6, a game that shouldve come out on PS3 in 2008. It would've been a huge exclusive for the PS3 which was hurting for games at that time. Tekken 6 wouldve been hyped up by PlayStation fans and wouldve been a big hit. However it was delayed so they could work on the 360 version. In the end, it ended up coming out a year after it was supposed to, and came out after Street Fighter IV which stole a ton of Tekken's buzz. Tekken went from being a solid 3.5-4 million seller on PlayStation alone, to not even selling 3 million on PS3 and 360 combined.

It is the LOWEST selling Tekken game on console of all time, yet it's the only one that isn't PlayStation exclusive. I have to think that going multiplat hurt Tekken more than it helped. Not only did it increase development time and production costs, but it didn't pay off in the end as Tekken 6 didnt even crack 1 million sales on 360.

Any more examples of "Going Multiplatform" being a huge waste of time for the developers?

Around the Network

It's also the biggest piece of shit to have the Tekken name on it. Bar Tekken Advance.

I blame that, not going multi.

Xen said:
It's also the biggest piece of shit to have the Tekken name on it. Bar Tekken Advance.

That could be due to splitting the dev team to make the game multiplat. If they were all focusing on only the PS3 version, they couldve balanced the game out better before it came out.

this is so stupid..

-there is countless examples of successful multiplats titles
-creativity of developers can also be blamed for the mentioned titles in the OP
-there is also countless unsuccessful exclusive titles (sales wise and rating wise)

9087 said:
Xen said:

That could be due to splitting the dev team to make the game multiplat. If they were all focusing on only the PS3 version, they couldve balanced the game out better before it came out.

Focusing on PS3 wouldn't have given it the tekken soul, which it absolutely lacks, wouldn't have saved it from the lame beat-em-up Namco forced in there, and wouldn't make it look/play much better... since it's a port in itself.

Around the Network
9087 said:
Xen said:

You do know that Tekken 6 on consoles is actually a port of the arcade version Bloodline Rebellion

http://eng.tekkenpedia.com/wiki/Tekken_6:_Bloodline_Rebellion

Same thing seemed to happen at Bizzare when they wen multiplat with Blur.

But there are also countless times when going multiplat also works for the best, its the losing of the first party marketing that usual comes with being exclusive that is to blame i feel.

Thread Creation - FAIL EDITION.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

9087 said:
Xen said:

First of all, as Kefka pointed out, Tekken 6 is a console port of an arcade game that released a year earlier.

Secondly, that's really not how it works. More devs certainly doesn't = better game, and very often the people porting the game have nothing whatsoever to do with designing the game's content anyway.

Heavenly Sword was bundled a lot if I recall correctly (at least in Europe).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957