By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - new ps3 model to have ps2 compatibility?

The recent announcement of the CECH-3000B 320GB model which will consume less power and weight less, appears to include an additional feature that will make the PS3 much more valuable and make many PS3 gamers happy!

After reading the specs on the Japanese Sony website, it’s clear that the new PS3 model will have PS2 compatibility with proprietary software. This is what the translation reads:

“This product, “PlayStation 2″ are having a compatibility with proprietary software”

Check it out for your self here.

Here is a screen shot:

http://www.tqcast.com/2011/06/20/new-ps3-model-to-have-ps2-compatibility/

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

i hope is true that they will but PS2 backward compatibility to this ps3 model.

They mention that it is software based.

So a firmware update is all us current owners are gonna need to gain the feature! :D

Hynad said:

They mention that it is software based.

So a firmware update is all us current owners are gonna need to gain the feature! :D

that would be great, i got a lot of ps2 games that i have to finish.

Even if i had to buy new PS3 to get BC I'd still do it as I want to get rid of my PS2 since it takes too much space and can't be connected to PC monitors.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

Would be nice to be able to continue playing Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X without having to bring through my PS2 so hope it happens

Zlejedi said:
Even if i had to buy new PS3 to get BC I'd still do it as I want to get rid of my PS2 since it takes too much space and can't be connected to PC monitors.

Get a videoprocessor... component/scart to HDMi preferrably...

Not a bad piece of news, even though I'll never use the function. Original HW ftw ;)

Just a rumor,I'll believe it when I see it.

Do NEVER ever rely on a machine translation.
The original text says clearly "This product is not compatible with Playstation 2 software."

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

does sound to good to be true, but wouldn't surprise me if Sony were working on it, putting PS2 games on the PSN would do mega business.