By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - just played child of eden. wow.

Euphoria14 said:
So what part of motion controls does this game utilize? I know it makes use of Kinect, but is majority of that motion done with just your hands?

I ask this because I do not have Kinect but this game is at some point coming to PS3 with Move controls and I happen to have (2) Move controllers.

Do you think it would be worth me getting stoned and giving it a rent?

Here is my take on that.  While you are only using your arms and hands I don't think I'd get the same feeling with Move because you'd need to have your wrist locked forward and constantly pointing at the screen.  When I'm playing with Kinect it's more of a freeform flow, like conducting or using force powers, I don't have to keep my hands locked at a certain angle.  I doesn't feel at all like a point and shoot game like House of the Dead or using move to play KZ3.  So while it might be a good experience with Move, it would feel DIFFERENT than playing with Kinect.  I don't know else to describe it, it's just an incredible feeling when you get to the point where you're in sync with the game and your arm movements are flowing so freely, I don't feel like I'm aiming, I feel like I'm doing something magical.  Hopefully that's not overstating it.   Having said that, a controller might be a better choice for trying to get high scores, but in that sense it's like getting 2 games in 1.

If the PS3 version has 3D though that would be a compelling reason to get that version if you have a 3D TV.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
All reviews I've read agreed that it's good with Kinect (they usually even said that it's easily one of or THE best Kinect game so far) - but most said that it's still "better with controller", because of Kinect's inferior accuracy and responsiveness and arms getting tired very soon.

But now I think I will give it a try and rent it. Won't be buying it though, as I've read over and over again that it's ridiculously short for a full-priced game... :(

Yeah, the length is why I would only rent it. I hear it only lasts around 2 hours or so.

It's not that kind of a game.  You don't complain that fighting games only have 20 mins of content because that's how long it takes you to go through the arcade mode.

@ArnoldRimmer - You must be reading different reviews than I am.  The Kinect controls are very accurate and in some ways better because the cursor moves much faster with your arms than with the controller.  You just have more precision with the controller because it more like driving the cursor rather than it following your movements.

ArnoldRimmer said:
All reviews I've read agreed that it's good with Kinect (they usually even said that it's easily one of or THE best Kinect game so far) - but most said that it's still "better with controller", because of Kinect's inferior accuracy and responsiveness and arms getting tired very soon.

But now I think I will give it a try and rent it. Won't be buying it though, as I've read over and over again that it's ridiculously short for a full-priced game... :(

Where are you reading that? Most? I already proved earlier in the thread that it's quite the opposite. All major websites that are of any relevance agree that Kinect is the superior input method. And pretty much everyone who has played it are in agreement as well. 

While Dance Central is still my favorite Kinect game (50 hours +) Child of Eden was just . . . unspeakably strange.

In a great way.

It's rare that I can't find the words to describe something. Child of Eden is that rare. I do have my complaints about it though: I'd rather the "girl" not be an actual human, but thats a storyline thing. I've never teared up at something that has absolutely no clear emotional interaction before until now. It simply felt good.

9/10

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

daroamer said:
Euphoria14 said:
So what part of motion controls does this game utilize? I know it makes use of Kinect, but is majority of that motion done with just your hands?

I ask this because I do not have Kinect but this game is at some point coming to PS3 with Move controls and I happen to have (2) Move controllers.

Do you think it would be worth me getting stoned and giving it a rent?

Here is my take on that.  While you are only using your arms and hands I don't think I'd get the same feeling with Move because you'd need to have your wrist locked forward and constantly pointing at the screen.  When I'm playing with Kinect it's more of a freeform flow, like conducting or using force powers, I don't have to keep my hands locked at a certain angle.  I doesn't feel at all like a point and shoot game like House of the Dead or using move to play KZ3.  So while it might be a good experience with Move, it would feel DIFFERENT than playing with Kinect.  I don't know else to describe it, it's just an incredible feeling when you get to the point where you're in sync with the game and your arm movements are flowing so freely, I don't feel like I'm aiming, I feel like I'm doing something magical.  Hopefully that's not overstating it.   Having said that, a controller might be a better choice for trying to get high scores, but in that sense it's like getting 2 games in 1.

If the PS3 version has 3D though that would be a compelling reason to get that version if you have a 3D TV.

I will tape the Move controllers to my wrists so I can play with open hands.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!