By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - just played child of eden. wow.

As soon as I'm paid I'm buying this. Guys I can't stop playing. I wanna play the same levels over and over. J hope they release dlc for this. This game is amazing. I've gone from liking kinect to loving it. If MS concentrate ln great experiences like this. Then I will buy kinect enhanced games all year round

Around the Network
MaulerX said:
naimisharanya said:
Funny how you all say its better with kinect, yet all the reviews I've checked have said the opposite.

From Joystiq's Meta review: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/15/metareview-child-of-eden/

Child of Eden delivers a compelling, "stirring" experience that'll leave you wanting more when it suddenly stops. Q Entertainment's mini masterpiece is praised for being "better with Kinect," receiving acclaim across the board for its use of Microsoft's motion tracking peripheral. If there's one criticism that pops up over and over again it's the game's length, but Child of Eden is apparently a grand introduction to the next generation of Kinect titles.

• Eurogamer (90/100): "If you want the full-body physical experience - feeling part of the music, sweeping your arms like a conductor in wide arcs that call the timpani section to action at your signal - then Kinect is the way to play Child of Eden. With the lights down low and the right ambiance and mind-set, it's a dance-like experience - but not in the orthodox video game understanding of Simon-says rhythm-action routines. "
  • IGN (85/100): "It's rare for me to play a game and feel nothing but happiness, but that's what happened when I stepped in to save Eden. In a way, Child of Eden touched my soul. Yes, that sounds cheesy, but it's true. There's one downside -- even though it costs 50 bucks, Child of Eden can be beaten in only a few hours. While this is a fault, there are lots of unlockables and leaderboards to keep people's interest once the campaign is over. This is a game everyone should experience, especially with Kinect. "
  • Gamespot (85/100): "Child of Eden is a bold artistic experiment that's also accessible and fun. It's easy to pick up and play, offers bursts of pure joy, and is even a pleasure to watch others play. It's over quickly, but the amount of unlockable content means it's something you can keep coming back to. "
  • Game Informer (80/100): "A few unlockables give Child of Eden replay value, including an additional challenge mode level, art and video galleries, and decorations for Lumi's garden in the main menu screen. However the most valuable prize is new visual effects. Selecting a different cosmetic effect drastically changes the aesthetic of each archive, giving the levels a whole new feel. Though brief, Child of Eden offers one of the most unique Kinect experiences to date. It's unfortunate our time in Eden's gorgeous confines ends too soon.

More from IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1176177p1.html

"I've heard people dismiss Kinect as a viable control option because there's no vibration feedback. After trying both control options for Child of Eden, I found that I preferred Kinect's superior responsiveness. Yes, Kinect makes navigating Eden's databases far easier. In fact, the analog sticks seem clunky compared to swiftly moving your hand around the screen."

I don't know what you've been reading. Troll much?

Ok, you win. I guess I have to go try it now.

I read the following (among others):

Sadly, the hardcore crowd will likely continue waiting for the game that will make the device for them, as Child of Eden is a fairly disappointing experience with the Kinect. That isn’t to say it isn’t a worthwhile game, just that you’re probably better off playing it with a controller.

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/06/14/review-child-of-eden-not-the-kinects-saviour-despite-teeming-with-creativity/

I agree one should always look at several reviews before forming an opinion. There seems to be many that really liked it with kinect. So only fair that I try it eh? My friend has kinect, so I just have to convince him to buy it.

naimisharanya said:
MaulerX said:
naimisharanya said:
Funny how you all say its better with kinect, yet all the reviews I've checked have said the opposite.

From Joystiq's Meta review: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/15/metareview-child-of-eden/

Child of Eden delivers a compelling, "stirring" experience that'll leave you wanting more when it suddenly stops. Q Entertainment's mini masterpiece is praised for being "better with Kinect," receiving acclaim across the board for its use of Microsoft's motion tracking peripheral. If there's one criticism that pops up over and over again it's the game's length, but Child of Eden is apparently a grand introduction to the next generation of Kinect titles.

• Eurogamer (90/100): "If you want the full-body physical experience - feeling part of the music, sweeping your arms like a conductor in wide arcs that call the timpani section to action at your signal - then Kinect is the way to play Child of Eden. With the lights down low and the right ambiance and mind-set, it's a dance-like experience - but not in the orthodox video game understanding of Simon-says rhythm-action routines. "
  • IGN (85/100): "It's rare for me to play a game and feel nothing but happiness, but that's what happened when I stepped in to save Eden. In a way, Child of Eden touched my soul. Yes, that sounds cheesy, but it's true. There's one downside -- even though it costs 50 bucks, Child of Eden can be beaten in only a few hours. While this is a fault, there are lots of unlockables and leaderboards to keep people's interest once the campaign is over. This is a game everyone should experience, especially with Kinect. "
  • Gamespot (85/100): "Child of Eden is a bold artistic experiment that's also accessible and fun. It's easy to pick up and play, offers bursts of pure joy, and is even a pleasure to watch others play. It's over quickly, but the amount of unlockable content means it's something you can keep coming back to. "
  • Game Informer (80/100): "A few unlockables give Child of Eden replay value, including an additional challenge mode level, art and video galleries, and decorations for Lumi's garden in the main menu screen. However the most valuable prize is new visual effects. Selecting a different cosmetic effect drastically changes the aesthetic of each archive, giving the levels a whole new feel. Though brief, Child of Eden offers one of the most unique Kinect experiences to date. It's unfortunate our time in Eden's gorgeous confines ends too soon.

More from IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1176177p1.html

"I've heard people dismiss Kinect as a viable control option because there's no vibration feedback. After trying both control options for Child of Eden, I found that I preferred Kinect's superior responsiveness. Yes, Kinect makes navigating Eden's databases far easier. In fact, the analog sticks seem clunky compared to swiftly moving your hand around the screen."

I don't know what you've been reading. Troll much?

Ok, you win. I guess I have to go try it now.

I read the following (among others):

Sadly, the hardcore crowd will likely continue waiting for the game that will make the device for them, as Child of Eden is a fairly disappointing experience with the Kinect. That isn’t to say it isn’t a worthwhile game, just that you’re probably better off playing it with a controller.

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2011/06/14/review-child-of-eden-not-the-kinects-saviour-despite-teeming-with-creativity/

I agree one should always look at several reviews before forming an opinion. There seems to be many that really liked it with kinect. So only fair that I try it eh? My friend has kinect, so I just have to convince him to buy it.

To be honest. Good or bad reviews. All I know is it is the best game this year. Better than la noire. Better than kz 3. Better than well anything. If I tried any other game this year for the first time now. After trying this and had to buy 1 id choose child of Eden easily. Easily.

Yeah I've played it, and I enjoyed it. But after a while it became annoying and tiring.

Good in short bursts, never played it with the normal controller.

8/10

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

selnor said:

To be honest. Good or bad reviews. All I know is it is the best game this year. Better than la noire. Better than kz 3. Better than well anything. If I tried any other game this year for the first time now. After trying this and had to buy 1 id choose child of Eden easily. Easily.

After seeing your Forza thread I would definitely not consider your opinion on whether or not its better than KZ3. I certainly don't trust your 'judgement' on Sony exclusives, even though I've only seen a handful of your posts.

That said, I though KZ3 sucked balls.

Sorry for going off topic, but you brought it up. I think Portal2 will be a better candidate tbh, and certainly the goty will be Skyward Sword/Uncharted3/Gears3/Skyrim/Bioshock Infinite. Eden can't compare with those, and neither can Portal2 imo.

So anyways, I'll give it a try. I'm into psychadelic experiences, so it'll probably be awesome. I'm a little put off by how short the game is though.

User has been moderated for this post - Kantor

Around the Network
naimisharanya said:
selnor said:

After seeing your Forza thread I would definitely not consider your opinion on whether or not its better than KZ3. I certainly don't trust your 'judgement' on Sony exclusives, even though I've only seen a handful of your posts.

That said, I though KZ3 sucked balls.

Sorry for going off topic, but you brought it up. I think Portal2 will be a better candidate tbh, and certainly the goty will be Skyward Sword/Uncharted3/Gears3/Skyrim/Bioshock Infinite. Eden can't compare with those, and neither can Portal2 imo.

So anyways, I'll give it a try. I'm into psychadelic experiences, so it'll probably be awesome. I'm a little put off by how short the game is though.

I don't know what thread you refer to, nor do I care if people are afraid of motion controls being.

I in know way was prepared for what I played today. Nor did I expect it to leave such an impression.

Having a controller in my hand after today will feel very different. That loss of connection may haunt my gaming now. Lol.

can't wait to lights down low on my sound system at home wiv child of Eden.

What a surprise gem for me this year.

Absolutely fantastic.

Sounds pretty good!

kowenicki said:
I concur. Incredible game with Kinect.

It also seems that the reviewers agree that it is sensational with kinect. No idea what the trouble causer further up the thread is talking about, I don't think he knows what he is talking about either.

i agree with this whole post woooo

I know selnor has a well deserved reputation for hyping things up but just about everything I've read about this game everywhere else says the same thing, it's awesome, especially with Kinect. I think it's cool because it seems like it's caught a lot of people by surprise as well.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

Everything I've heard about this game is just about how awesome it is and how its probably the best Kinect game released along with Dance Central.

I HAVE to get this game asap it looks phenominal.