By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The nextbox and bluray. Do you want it???

Blu-ray on the next Xbox console would be nice, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. I spend so much time playing games and watching Hulu and Netflix that I hardly even touch my current DVD collection at all, unless it's to pop in a workout.

"But I don't want to go among mad people!" said Alice. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat. "We're all mad here."

Follow me on Twitter! @stefaniefogel

Around the Network

Should do what nintendo do - something similar to Blu-Ray with lots of storage space, but not actually Blu-Ray to save on royalties.

I definately want more space, that's a given I'm sure and I'd like a decent sized hard drive to be standard but I don't really care about BluRay. I rarely watch disc based movies anymore and when I do I already have my PS3.

I think Microsoft don't use BluRay in the next XBox, they definitely will use Discs with more space than now but I think they will rather develop there own Discs like Nintendo do with the WiiU than pay Sony money for BluRay.

scottie said:
Should do what nintendo do - something similar to Blu-Ray with lots of storage space, but not actually Blu-Ray to save on royalties.

Yes I think it is very realistic that Microsoft do the same l with there next Xbox as Nintendo do with the WiiU. This would be the best for all, Microsoft  save money and is able to offer the next Xbox a little bit cheaper and if they develop there own Discs they  have the opportunity to add as much space to them as they need, and people who want to watch films still can watch DVDs  or they can download them. I think there is no reason why  Microsft should use BluRay.

Around the Network

It'd been nice. Switching disc doesn't annoy me, but I'm sure devs would appreciate the extra space to work on.

if the next xbox had bluray....would it be considered a stolen exclusive??? :P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Microsoft won't have download only for the nextbox, they'll do what they and Sony are both doing now and release titles online and in shops, there may be a certain section of people, like Selnor, who have amazing internet connections (yes Selnor, please don't say you have bad internet, its amazing), but the vast majority of people will need to still buy disks, I'm happy to own something virtually, but I much prefer a physical product

I feel like MS might try to revive HD-DVD.
Without needing to employ non-proprietary hardware on their console, they can get about 15 GB per layer using current HD DVD discs.

They should just use HD DVD.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB