By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The nextbox and bluray. Do you want it???

selnor said:
SvennoJ said:
I prefer my ps3 for multimedia since 360 is lacking in a few key areas.

- No uncompressed surround sound output, limited to 640 kbps 5.1 DD or lpcm 2 channel.
- It can't play my 24mbps m2ts (h.264) videos, I have to down convert them to a max 10mbps format compatible with 360 first which takes forever.
- It won't display gif, not even bmp files, again I don't want to convert all my pictures to lossy jpg.
- It doesn't display 1920x1080 pictures correctly, there is some down sampling going on before it comes back out as 1080p. Fine detail is lost (Maybe that's only on the old fat model I don't know)
- The video player is not as responsive and has way less options for slow/fast motion back and forwards and no 1.5 speed with sound.
- The cd player has a slight pause between tracks, pretty annoying for trance mixes.

Both don't support uncompressed digital audio file formats, so I'm still stuck with CD's for now.
Both don't support the lossless jpg format.

The nextbox has some catching up to do if it wants to become my preferred multimedia machine.

Where do you live that you get unlimited fast internet but crappy blu-ray selection in stores? Although I used to have that until internet became widely used here, then it got slower, capped and more expensive sigh.
Blu-ray is thriving here at the cost of dvd shelf space. Plenty older blu-rays are priced 10 dollars and lower nowadays in stores.

Plymouth UK. Bout 300,000 people.

I'll put it this way. If you were to buy a bluray film and have a good selection of choice you would go to one shop. Hmv. Even blockbuster which have 2 store in town centre, have 2 bays. The rest of the store is DVD ( guessing 20 bays ). And games.

I've only ever seen 1 bluray film up close in its box in 5 years. Avatar. You never here anyone talk about bluray or suggest bluray. But many are downloading films. It did buzz when it released. But it just turned into nothing. I've never seen a bluray player in someones house other than a ps3. Obviously they do sell. But it is very poor. However, 50 Mb broadband is readily available here. K currently have 30 Mb. It isn't expensive either. All the companies are trying to get your custom with best price and highest speed. There's like  8 different high speed providers in the UK.

Its great for internet. No capping either.

I wish we had more choices for internet here. I live near Brantford in Canada. I can either get Bell (phone company) or Rogers (cable). 47 bucks a month for 10mbps download (hardly ever reach that in reality) and a 60gb monthly cap. I could pay 99 a month and get upto 50mbps and 175gb a month. However since I almost never get near 10mbps I doubt there's any use going with a higher limit. 500 kb/sec is the fastest I see it go here, ms live video streaming can't maintain 5mbps either, drops down to 4 and 3mbps on testing.

Blu-ray is heavily promoted here. Lot of shelf space now in Future shop (50/50 already), Wal mart, Blockbuster (not sure how much longer they will survive, seems rental store days are numbered) Plenty of smaller stores have lots to offer too.

But I have no doubt it's not as good in Europe. I used to live in The Netherlands before '02 and I got pretty much all my movies from amazon.com after I got a region 1 ntsc player. It took forever for dvd to gain traction as well, the selection of region 2 dvds in shops was piss poor.

Thanks for the thread btw, it made me check my amazon cart. A lot of stuff I had saved for later was discounted and I pre ordered the extended edition of the lotr trilogy, finally out on the 28th.

Around the Network
selnor said:

Chart track UK provide the total bluray sales. Meaning every film available I bluray. Not just chart releases. Like the posts you provide. Chart track is like nod.

Chart sales fluctuate depending on what is released on bluray at the time. Overall as a whole from end of 2008 till 2010. Bluray dropped 14% in UK. Subscribe to chart track and see for yourself.

Only the first link referred to new releases, anyway, here's a a couple of statistics using Gfk chart track as a source:

http://www.eraltd.org/downloads/stats/OverviewUKEntertainmentMarket.pdf

http://www.eraltd.org/downloads/stats/VideoMarket.pdf

So how about you just stop lying? Or just stop in general?

SvennoJ said:
selnor said:
SvennoJ said:
I prefer my ps3 for multimedia since 360 is lacking in a few key areas.

- No uncompressed surround sound output, limited to 640 kbps 5.1 DD or lpcm 2 channel.
- It can't play my 24mbps m2ts (h.264) videos, I have to down convert them to a max 10mbps format compatible with 360 first which takes forever.
- It won't display gif, not even bmp files, again I don't want to convert all my pictures to lossy jpg.
- It doesn't display 1920x1080 pictures correctly, there is some down sampling going on before it comes back out as 1080p. Fine detail is lost (Maybe that's only on the old fat model I don't know)
- The video player is not as responsive and has way less options for slow/fast motion back and forwards and no 1.5 speed with sound.
- The cd player has a slight pause between tracks, pretty annoying for trance mixes.

Both don't support uncompressed digital audio file formats, so I'm still stuck with CD's for now.
Both don't support the lossless jpg format.

The nextbox has some catching up to do if it wants to become my preferred multimedia machine.

Where do you live that you get unlimited fast internet but crappy blu-ray selection in stores? Although I used to have that until internet became widely used here, then it got slower, capped and more expensive sigh.
Blu-ray is thriving here at the cost of dvd shelf space. Plenty older blu-rays are priced 10 dollars and lower nowadays in stores.

Plymouth UK. Bout 300,000 people.

I'll put it this way. If you were to buy a bluray film and have a good selection of choice you would go to one shop. Hmv. Even blockbuster which have 2 store in town centre, have 2 bays. The rest of the store is DVD ( guessing 20 bays ). And games.

I've only ever seen 1 bluray film up close in its box in 5 years. Avatar. You never here anyone talk about bluray or suggest bluray. But many are downloading films. It did buzz when it released. But it just turned into nothing. I've never seen a bluray player in someones house other than a ps3. Obviously they do sell. But it is very poor. However, 50 Mb broadband is readily available here. K currently have 30 Mb. It isn't expensive either. All the companies are trying to get your custom with best price and highest speed. There's like  8 different high speed providers in the UK.

Its great for internet. No capping either.

I wish we had more choices for internet here. I live near Brantford in Canada. I can either get Bell (phone company) or Rogers (cable). 47 bucks a month for 10mbps download (hardly ever reach that in reality) and a 60gb monthly cap. I could pay 99 a month and get upto 50mbps and 175gb a month. However since I almost never get near 10mbps I doubt there's any use going with a higher limit. 500 kb/sec is the fastest I see it go here, ms live video streaming can't maintain 5mbps either, drops down to 4 and 3mbps on testing.

Blu-ray is heavily promoted here. Lot of shelf space now in Future shop (50/50 already), Wal mart, Blockbuster (not sure how much longer they will survive, seems rental store days are numbered) Plenty of smaller stores have lots to offer too.

But I have no doubt it's not as good in Europe. I used to live in The Netherlands before '02 and I got pretty much all my movies from amazon.com after I got a region 1 ntsc player. It took forever for dvd to gain traction as well, the selection of region 2 dvds in shops was piss poor.

Thanks for the thread btw, it made me check my amazon cart. A lot of stuff I had saved for later was discounted and I pre ordered the extended edition of the lotr trilogy, finally out on the 28th.

I live in what is considered the worst area in my country. Tucked in the bottom left.

I get 30mb connection for £19/month. Unlimited. I recieve about 26 Mb at its worst. If I wanted I could choose bt, sky, talk talk, ntl, free roam to name some more. I have Virgin media broadband. Fibre optics.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Bigger HDD with more storage space and more downloadable content being downloaded at faster speeds. Online distribution saves on production, storage and transportation costs. Physical media is more expensive than online streaming/downloading. Cheap software can be downloaded instantly by the consumer and stored on the HDD.

Physical media is cheaper what u smoking on? SMH

selnor said:

I live in what is considered the worst area in my country. Tucked in the bottom left.

I get 30mb connection for £19/month. Unlimited. I recieve about 26 Mb at its worst. If I wanted I could choose bt, sky, talk talk, ntl, free roam to name some more. I have Virgin media broadband. Fibre optics.

No wonder you like dd services. That's 60% of the cost for 6 times the effective download speed without a cap. It will be a while before fibre optics reach here.

I might use netflix or similar services with that kind of connection.  Now I have to wait until the movie is at least 2 thirds downloaded before starting to watch, or put up with the horribly slow interface of rogers video on demand.

There is another hurdle for me with these services though. I don't always have time to finish a movie in one sitting. The 24/48hr limit to resume watching is a big deal breaker.

Around the Network
ctalkeb said:
selnor said:

Chart track UK provide the total bluray sales. Meaning every film available I bluray. Not just chart releases. Like the posts you provide. Chart track is like nod.

Chart sales fluctuate depending on what is released on bluray at the time. Overall as a whole from end of 2008 till 2010. Bluray dropped 14% in UK. Subscribe to chart track and see for yourself.

Only the first link referred to new releases, anyway, here's a a couple of statistics using Gfk chart track as a source:

http://www.eraltd.org/downloads/stats/OverviewUKEntertainmentMarket.pdf

http://www.eraltd.org/downloads/stats/VideoMarket.pdf

So how about you just stop lying? Or just stop in general?

Ah I see what is going on here. Yes bluray increased from 2009 - 2010 on itself by around 49%. Sales of actual discs. Which isn't that much considering how many it was selling in 2009. And as screen digest pointed out, that its disappointing.

Also the 20% maeketshare figure in your links is physical media only.

Now both screen digest and chart track UK show online digital movie download sector increasing on itself by 89% in the same time frame. And expect that to increase to 150% in the next year. Showing Zune and iTunes accounting for 90% of the sector.

Now with that in mind, screen digest and chart track UK show the total marketshare when digital downloads and streams included that DVD fell 23%, bluray although better itself and DVD fell 14%, and DD rose 37%. Based over the last 2 years as I originally said. So no I'm not lying. And I did all that using the websites you linked to.

I was referring to total marketshare. The fact that DD is the fastest growing sector upon itself tells everyone instantly that DD will gain marketshare over everything else, meaning blurays marketshare decreased because its own growth was not substantial enough.

DD is to readily available in the UK.

Please look at the full figures. Thanks.

S____M____C____C said:
slowmo said:
S____M____C____C said:
selnor said:
Chevinator123 said:

yes it does need it and will have it MS will try to make the nextbox more of a home entertainment system then a gaming console (like there starting to do with the 360)

What? The 360 is more of a multimedia box than all the rest this Gen. No bluray has meant nothing. It has any HD film u can want. Unlimited music downloads. Taylor made console apps. Video social networking. Controller free multimedia. And more selection than Wii and ps3 when you include all media. So what are you referring to?

I understand you may want bluray. As that's what the thread is about. But realistically is it worth it of bluray is already dwindling?

its a valid point.

That is a ridiculous statement. 

The Xbox 360 doesn't have an internet browser, its apps are very limited, its music player is mediocre, its photo and video viewing facilities are again mediocre, it can't play HD films on the most popular media, heck it doesn't even have an Optical Cable Slot on it so you can't use it effectively for surround sound. 

The Xbox 360 is a games machine. You can tell that as soon as you boot it up and see the interface. 

I don't think he head internet in mind when he said multimedia.

It's music player is actually fine, be it in the dashboard or of course Media Centre.  It can view videos and photos as well as it's competition.

It doesn't have Bluray, hooray you made a valid point at last (although it's downloadable content is far superior)....Then ruin it by not getting the fact that the 360 optical output is part of the AV socket and hence you have optical output through there, unless you have a slim in which case it's even onboard!

Had you really wanted to state your case you'd have been better off just attacking the Bluray aspect along with the 7.1 HD audio capabilities of the PS3, instead you just sound whiny and desperate.

• The internet has a ton of multimedia. You can't ignore it when you are talking about multimedia. 
  • It's music player is not as good as that on the PS3. If you are an audiophile/enthusiast, you'l know this. Sure, the 360's player is solid and functional, but it is not as good.
  • Video/photo options are again solid, but not as good.
  • Blu-Ray is kind of a big issue here
  • When I had a 360 there was no optical socket when using an HD cable. Or maybe I just couldn't find it. 
Anyway, you hate me on these forums so I don't really pay much attention to your replies. I feel like the vast vast majority would agree with me on this issue. Instead of debating the point you use insults and derogatory language in order to support the argument of an extremely bias poster.

No I hate people that state their opinion as fact then try to whine there way out of a debate when they're called out.

In what way is the internet particularly noteworthy media wise outside of watching funny cat videos on Youtube?

You still haven't provided adequate evidence of why the video/photo/music on the PS3, you saying because they are doesn't cut it.  The 360 has always had optical built into the cable, once again I doubt you've ever actually owned a 360 given your blatant lack of knowldge of the system...

selnor said:

Ah I see what is going on here. Yes bluray increased from 2009 - 2010 on itself by around 49%. Sales of actual discs. Which isn't that much considering how many it was selling in 2009. And as screen digest pointed out, that its disappointing.

Also the 20% maeketshare figure in your links is physical media only.

Now both screen digest and chart track UK show online digital movie download sector increasing on itself by 89% in the same time frame. And expect that to increase to 150% in the next year. Showing Zune and iTunes accounting for 90% of the sector.

Now with that in mind, screen digest and chart track UK show the total marketshare when digital downloads and streams included that DVD fell 23%, bluray although better itself and DVD fell 14%, and DD rose 37%. Based over the last 2 years as I originally said. So no I'm not lying. And I did all that using the websites you linked to.

I was referring to total marketshare. The fact that DD is the fastest growing sector upon itself tells everyone instantly that DD will gain marketshare over everything else, meaning blurays marketshare decreased because its own growth was not substantial enough.

DD is to readily available in the UK.

Please look at the full figures. Thanks.

Blu-ray is growing, DD is growing, both at the expense of DVD. DD is growing faster by %, but as it is still only about a third of the value of Blu-ray, that is hardly difficult to do. Now: please provide some verifiable information that agrees with you. Although it seems you have a hard time reading numbers? Where does that 20% marketshare figure come from? The sources I provided says that Blu-ray and DD together have 13% of the market, with Blu-ray accounting for about 10% of that.

Anyway, here are some previous comments by you (in this thread, verifiable by anyone reading this):

"In fact if you look up on Bing or Google blurays sales compared to HD downloads last year, downloads was alot more"

"Bluray has peaked"

"Not to mention the dwindling floor slace given to bluray films."

"You never here anyone talk about bluray or suggest bluray. But many are downloading films"

"Obviously they do sell. But it is very poor."

"It would seem us is very different to UK where bluray is concerned."

"Wow us is different. I was referring to UK. Where bluray has dropped 14% in 2 years. And DD has risen 39%."

(This in response to Rainbird: "DD had 12.2% of the total movie revenue (with a growth of 21.9% compared to 2009), while blu-ray had about 18-18.5% (derived from numbers in the first link with this link) of the total movie revenue (retail sales growing 64.2% and rentals growing 105.5% compared to 2009).")

"Overall as a whole from end of 2008 till 2010. Bluray dropped 14% in UK."

Please selnor: Provide us with some sources, use the correct numbers, and write something we can take seriously.

So far, everyone but you have managed to support their views.

Everyone else: I think I have showed clearly that Blu-ray is growing in the UK and that it is currently a far bigger format than DD. My view is that given its  projected growth, and the limitations of DD (in some markets at the very least), I can see no good reason to not include it in a device intended to be general entertainment box.

The playback capabilites of the X360 were not underspecced in my opinion, but sticking to the same specs, both for playback and network speeds, in the next generation will be a mistake (provided that the nextbox will follow up on the promise of all-in-one entertainement).

kowenicki said:

Not arsed wither way

Decent blu-ray players are cheap as chips now.

In any event streaming/downloading will be massive before the next gen is over... despite what the minority of "collectors" of the physical form will say.    Audio went that way and now video will too... with video its even more of a no-brainer as you are far more likely to repeat listen to a cd/music than you are to repeat watch a dvd/br/movie.

Now lots of people will come in and say "no fucking way - physical media or forget it!!"... blah blah blah... that noise will diminish as time passes.

exactly that.... my only issue would be with the digital rights laws that need to change....

ctalkeb said:

Everyone else: I think I have showed clearly that Blu-ray is growing in the UK and that it is currently a far bigger format than DD. My view is that given its  projected growth, and the limitations of DD (in some markets at the very least), I can see no good reason to not include it in a device intended to be general entertainment box.

The playback capabilites of the X360 were not underspecced in my opinion, but sticking to the same specs, both for playback and network speeds, in the next generation will be a mistake (provided that the nextbox will follow up on the promise of all-in-one entertainement).

For the bolded part, don't forget Microsoft put the DVD dongle in place on the original Xbox to save on having to pay any licensing fees, this is one possible reason they may want to not include Bluray on their next console.  They would potentially have to pay a fee for including the drives in their console and extra fees for disc manufacturing.  I'm not saying this is a smart reason why they wouldn't just pointing out there is some reasons they wouldn't go this route, particularly with the efforts they've made to build their DD content over the last few years.

As for the last sentence you're absolutely correct imo, Bluray speeds, capacity and price seem to all point as it being a mature sensible move to use in their next console.  There is no way we'll see games above 50GB for a long time (imo) and newer faster Bluray drives will not need data duplication to offset seek speed issues so visually equivalent games to the PS3's library would be smaller in size next gen due to no data duplication anyway.   I said 50GB although I know if really necessary they could plan for 100GB if they wanted.