By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The nextbox and bluray. Do you want it???

it would be a must,same for Wii U

Around the Network
Shorty11857 said:
Of course it should have blu-ray there's no reason why not, I mean

DVD: Space is too limited
HD-DVD: Would probably be more expensive seeing as there's no mass market production for it
Blu-Ray: Sales are increasing each year, has good storage space, will get cheaper

Using Blu-Ray offers Microsoft the ability to play all three major media formats for film, so it would be win win for them

PS3 has replaced my 360 as my main media centre since I got it. Since it has blu-ray and the drive is also quiet! I also have my external hard drive connected to it and it works much better on there

It would seem us is very different to UK where bluray is concerned. Is that because fast internet at cheap prices is more accessible here?

As far as disc spinning for films is concerned, k don't have any problem. Probably because I have not watched a film on disc in my house for over 2 years. Lol.

All stream and download for me.

Rainbird said:
selnor said:
Rainbird said:

Let's get one thing straight. When using blu-ray, you pay royalties to the Blu-ray Disc Association, which consists of lots of different companies, each of which gets a part of the royalties that are payed to the BDA. Sony pays royalties to the BDA too, but it gets a small part of this back because it itself is part of the BDA. So Microsoft's royalties would be slightly more expensive than Sony's, but PS3 games cost the same as 360 games already. This royalty doesn't change anything.

And secondly, why in the world should Microsoft have a new factory line opened to produce their own discs when they can benefit from the increasing mass market production of blu-rays? Why spend money developing something new, when the stuff that's already here will more than get the job done? 

Using blu-ray means Microsoft will save a bunch of R&D costs and Microsoft can offer a machine capable of playing blu-rays. It's not going to make your games any more expensive.

First. If you are right then Nintendo just made the biggest error in the history of games. Not using bluray. Yet have a new type of disc the same size as bluray.

2Nd. Bluray has peaked. It will never mass market like DVDs. Even pcs in pc shops still have a limited number that include bluray. Not to mention the dwindling floor slace given to bluray films.

3Rd in my country it is not uncommon to find ps3 games 5 pound more expensive than 360. Say hello dirt 3. Some shops will match prices. But usually upping the 360 version. ( Thanks bluray ). Game doesn't do this though thank god.

Hddvd would be the best option. It costs very little to convert DVD lines for hddvd as Toshiba stated years back. And the tech already exists. I can see them doing this. As the film side of things is going DD very very quickly indeed. Last HD film figures says it all. And Zune marketplace is performing amazing in that field. Having no bluray on 360 and quality and quantity on Zune for HD stream or Download has helped push forward DD of HD films. You can now buy tvs with internet and HD film downloads service as software.

1) They did the same with DVD on the Wii, I don't know why they prefer it that way, but they do apparently...

2) Did you see websites I pointed you to? Blu-ray growth dwarfed DD growth last year in the US (Microsoft's key market). Blu-ray is nowhere near having peaked.

3) I can't speak for the UK (other than saying your prices seems to have had a bumpy ride in the last few years), but where I live, the games cost exactly the same. 

HDDVD would not be the best option, blu-ray would. As a multimedia device, the NextBox should be compatible with the popular disc standards, so unless Microsoft wants to give Sony a point in their favor, they need blu-ray. And looking at the US in 2010, DD had 12.2% of the total movie revenue (with a growth of 21.9% compared to 2009), while blu-ray had about 18-18.5% (derived from numbers in the first link with this link) of the total movie revenue (retail sales growing 64.2% and rentals growing 105.5% compared to 2009).

So regardless of the quality of Microsoft's services, in Microsoft's key market, blu-ray not only had a 50% larger marketshare in 2010, but grew more than four times as much in 2010 than DD did. 

If Microsoft wants to rule all our livingrooms (and they want to), then they need blu-ray in the NextBox. End of story.

Wow us is different. I was referring to UK. Where bluray has dropped 14% in 2 years. And DD has risen 39%.

Maybe this is due to easily accesable high speed internet here. At cheap prices. Chart track UK for UK figures. I'm on phone. So hard to provide links. However you will need to subscribe to chart trak to get access.

they deffo wont be using DVD, next gen games will have much improved visuals and will need disc space to match, even the wiiU isnt using DVD's

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:

they deffo wont be using DVD, next gen games will have much improved visuals and will need disc space to match, even the wiiU isnt using DVD's

We all agree with that.

Now the question is if they will go with a blueray, go with their own format (like Nintendo), go the HD DVD route (highly unlikely due to costs) or surprise us all going only digital (almost impossible).

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Skeeuk said:

We all agree with that.

Now the question is if they will go with a blueray, go with their own format (like Nintendo), go the HD DVD route (highly unlikely due to costs) or surprise us all going only digital (almost impossible).

id give the nod to bluray, its readily avaliable and is much cheaper than the days when ps3 launched, not only is it good for games but would make nextbox good for playing bluray movies

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

There is little reason for MS to NOT use blu-ray. First it would be a selling point (even if you argue that BD penetration is low... it's still a selling point albeit small). Secondly, Sony doesn't get THAT much from a drive sale (as many have already stated), But thirdly... WHY is everyone FORGETTING that MS has codecs that are used in BD-Drives - (VC-1) - upon which THEY too collect royalties.

Only Nintendo has nothing to gain and no cost abatement for using Blu-Ray.

Skeeuk said:
JEMC said:
Skeeuk said:

We all agree with that.

id give the nod to bluray, its readily avaliable and is much cheaper than the days when ps3 launched, not only is it good for games but would make nextbox good for playing bluray movies

Agree. It also fits their strategy to be the main entertainment device of any home competing, again, with Sony.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

selnor said:

Wow us is different. I was referring to UK. Where bluray has dropped 14% in 2 years. And DD has risen 39%.

Maybe this is due to easily accesable high speed internet here. At cheap prices. Chart track UK for UK figures. I'm on phone. So hard to provide links. However you will need to subscribe to chart trak to get access.

Selnor being cute as always.

UK Blu-ray sales are increasing, and increasing more than DD:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/uk-3d-blu-ray-sales-to-increase-tenfold-this-year

http://www.bva.org.uk/market-information/market-information-news/strong-performance-blu-ray-drives-home-entertainment-grow

http://www.bva.org.uk/market-information/market-information-news/video-entertainment-remains-popular-ever

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/epic/hmv/7862767/HMV-profits-rise-12pc-as-Blu-Ray-sales-increase.html

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/242860/news/uk-blu-ray-sales-hit-156m/

I can continue, but I think we've all answered his original question. I guess he means: " Do I and my friends in Plymouth, UK need a Blu-Ray drive in the next generation Microsoft console". He knows the answer to that himself, and the rest of us can just safely ignore him.

ctalkeb said:
selnor said:

Selnor being cute as always.

UK Blu-ray sales are increasing, and increasing more than DD:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/uk-3d-blu-ray-sales-to-increase-tenfold-this-year

http://www.bva.org.uk/market-information/market-information-news/strong-performance-blu-ray-drives-home-entertainment-grow

http://www.bva.org.uk/market-information/market-information-news/video-entertainment-remains-popular-ever

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/epic/hmv/7862767/HMV-profits-rise-12pc-as-Blu-Ray-sales-increase.html

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/242860/news/uk-blu-ray-sales-hit-156m/

I can continue, but I think we've all answered his original question. I guess he means: " Do I and my friends in Plymouth, UK need a Blu-Ray drive in the next generation Microsoft console". He knows the answer to that himself, and the rest of us can just safely ignore him.

Chart track UK provide the total bluray sales. Meaning every film available I bluray. Not just chart releases. Like the posts you provide. Chart track is like nod.

Chart sales fluctuate depending on what is released on bluray at the time. Overall as a whole from end of 2008 till 2010. Bluray dropped 14% in UK. Subscribe to chart track and see for yourself.