By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Watch a failed cult indoctrination. It's uncomfortably funny.

At least to somebody who grew up in a cult. It's disturbing and comical to watch these two men try as hard as they can to not answer questions, and act like the prospective member they are hoping to induct is in fact doing something wrong by asking questions.

Essentially what is happening here is that a pair of congregation elders are calling on a young man thinking that he is a prospect for joining the group. But he has done his research. Essentially he knows that elders are given a book that is supposed to never be shown to the public or to members of the congregations. It details how to deal with child molestation in the congregation, how to investigate members of the congregation so that they can be shunned, and many the less palatable aspects of the religion. When confonted with this information they answer his questions with questions, call his integrity into question and...well, it's better to just watch.

http://youtu.be/OFfMvf3KLYA

Moral of the story. Parents, teach your kids how to ask questions, do research and think critically. There are lots of groups (not just religious ones) that want to indoctrinate people, and they crumble the instant somebody actually asks them questions rather than nods their heads and says "yes, I suppose that does make sense".

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

i only watched 3 mins,but i agree with you

people can drift away from their families but it strange when they do it via a group or cult,i knew someone who did it with jehovahs

what kind of cult did you grow up in?

Above & Beyond

This probably seems random, but I have interest in group control and coercion. Books written by Steve Hassan, and ex cult members I find fascinating. This guy above on youtube has a series of videos where he talks to these two Jehovah's witnesses, and watching it in action is both hilarious and disturbing. The starting premise of being an open and honest group wanting only to educate you on precious bible truths, but the instant the potential inductee starts asking questions rather than submit to the method of study, they shut down, only answer questions with more questions, refuse to admit to anything and then blame the individual for not being humble and sincere (which is code for receptive and non-argumentative). It's a train wreck that I can't look away from.

Towards the end of the video the gentlemen recording begins to ask about child molestation, because the book that he's asking them about that is for Elders only and no one else states that unless there are two witnesses to the molestation, the child should be ignored. Back in the early 2000s there was a big furor over this riding on the catholic molestation revelations, that the witnesses had been doing the same thing. Again the elder gets squirrely when asked about what he would do "tell the child to go to the police about it." A hilariously and horrifyingly bad answer.

Anyway, this was just my weird niche interest.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Hey that's interesting, somehow English is not my primary language, do you know if there's a subbed version of these vids, because it I miss part of this conversation.

Personaly, I am an atheist, but raised in a very catholic family. My mother was active in fighting sectarist cults, so she taught me alot about cults and so on. It just backfired and I found that her beliefs were as sectarist that the groups she was fighting against. Anyway, I don't want to start a debate against religion and so on.... ;p

Once, Jehovas d***heads knocked on my door abnd told me they wanted to talk about the Bible, and I told them their Bible was not the Bible, but Jehova's Bible. The guys were pissed off and couldn't answer anything when I told them this ^^ Hope that helps anyone against those buggers.

Oh btw, just look at Jehova's wiki if you want to have a good laugh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_Witnesses