By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My ps3 stopped reading discs. :(

Okay, so I have relatives from Houston in town, and we were planning to watch a couple of movies tonight. First, I pop in Shrek 3 (My mom bought it, in full screen no less. The fool.), and it plays just fine. After that, I pop in Harry Potter: OotP on BD because my cousins haven't seen it yet. The little blue disc icon pops up, and I click it while simultaneously plugging in my controller to recharge. Just seconds later, a screen pops up that says...

"Error [bunch of numbers] Invalid Disc"

...and I was like, "wtf?" At first I figured it was nothing, but then became a little worried after I ejected the disc, reinserted it, and saw the little loading swirly going on for like 15 seconds. So I popped that out and put in the Fifth Element on BD. The same thing happened. It just didn't stop loading. After that, I figured it may have been just BDs, because of a similar thread I've read on here, but when I popped back in Shrek 3 on DVD, the same thing happened. The same also happened for Uncharted. I then shut the ps3 off, stood it up vertically, and tried HP again. Nada. So now it's turned off downstairs, vertically, and I'm praying to God that it will start reading discs again in an hour or so.

Do you guys know of any possible solution? Do you know why it could be doing this? I got it back in early December of '06, one of the first 400k with Talladega Nights, so the warranty is already up. I'm afraid to call Sony just to have them tell me, "That'll be $140," or something because I really have no money right now.

I just don't understand how the thing could break. I mean, I haven't exactly used it all that often, and from what I've read there's only a .2% failure rate or something insanely low like that. I only own 4 games - Resistance, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, and Uncharted - and I haven't finished a single one yet (it's a problem I have with gaming although I've only had Uncharted for a few days, so give me time. It kicks ass, and I LOVE Naughty Dog). Other than that, I only own 16 BDs, and have only watched each once or so, aside from the few I use as demo material. Sure I watch the occasional SDDVD, but overall the thing just doesn't get used that much, or at least not the disc drive (I'm always downloading trailers and stuff).

Although, I did have a Lord of the Rings EE marathon a week and a half ago when I got my wisdom teeth out. But I don't see how that one time thing would affect anything.

Anywho, can any of you guys help?!? I don't think I've seen too many if any posts of ps3 nhardware failures on here.

Also, if I do have to get it sent in to be repaired, will they give me another 60gb console with the hardware BC, or will I get stuck with an 80gb or something? Will it be new, a refurb, or will they just repair mine?

Update: 1/1/08

Called Sony today. At first they tried to charge me $149.99 to get my ps3 replaced, until I brought up that I the warranty had been extended to Jan. 15 according to guys at AVS. Then the customer service rep. checked with his boss, and came back and said there would be no charge. They're shipping me a box, and said total turnaround time should be 10-14 business days, which jibes with what the guys on AVS were saying. It took them about two weeks to get their systems back.

Update: 1/8/08

My box arrived today. That's four business days, just like the guys at AVS said. They said in total it was a ~2 week turnaround for them, so if I ship my ps3 off tomorrow, I'll get it back in a week to a week and a half.

Update: 1/14/08

Sony shipped off my ps3 today via UPS 3-day shipping. It should arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

Around the Network

There were a couple people on GAF reporting this. Two of them said they said it started after the last firmware update, and one said it literally happened right after he updated.

At this point I'm out of warranty as well, so I just hope this doesn't turn into the DRE problems the PS2 experienced.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I updated my ps3 a good while ago (at least a couple of weeks, before my LotR marathon), so I don't think it's because of that.

this one time when i rented a wii game it did a system update and my wii started making these strange noises, it played the game ok but then after i turned my wii off later that night it wouldnt turn back on!!!! it was the transformers game, terrible game, but any way a few hours later the wii just came back on :S totaly unrelated to your prob though :p maybe it will work if u just give it some space lol

Keep it real guys, dont hate mario, hate the player

Currently playing:
Geometry Wars galaxies, Animal Crossing wild world, Pangya swing with style, SSX Blur

well, look on the bright side. now you won't have to sit through shrek 3 and harry potter.

Around the Network

As rock solid as the PS3's construction seems to be, it's inevitable that hardware may fail (although I hope it's just an update problem that will work itself out for your peace of mind).

Even a percentage as low as .2% still means that approximately 160,000 units will suffer a failure. In the event you do have to do a return, at least you don't have to worry about going through several returns as some 360 owners have.

crumas2 said:
As rock solid as the PS3's construction seems to be, it's inevitable that hardware may fail (although I hope it's just an update problem that will work itself out for your peace of mind).

Even a percentage as low as .2% still means that approximately 160,000 units will suffer a failure. In the event you do have to do a return, at least you don't have to worry about going through several returns as some 360 owners have.

I guess it's late.  .2% would be 16,000 units, not 160,000 units.  Duh.

I would call and ask about the issue because I doubt its broken if there have been reports of some people having the same problem since the update

PSN ID: WAR_MACHINE77  Wii friend code: 7186 4304 6064 5134 Gamertag: WARMACHINE mk2

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
Post here to play with fellow VGC members in WarHawk! -> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937
sieanr said:

At this point I'm out of warranty as well, so I just hope this doesn't turn into the DRE problems the PS2 experienced.

From everything I've read about the DRE issue (never had it on my original PS2) it was a mechanical issue (lens alignment) not a firmware issue as this little event looks to be.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Try a can of compressed air; maybe some dust in the PS3 is causing it.