By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft says Wii U is “Not really.” next-gen

HappySqurriel said:
irstupid said:
HappySqurriel said:
superchunk said:
wow... talk about completely misrepresenting what was said.

I encourage any of you to watch Ubisoft's actual presentation and Q&A.

This article is putting a huge slant on what was said and not even quoting the actual questions.

If you watch just the Q&A you can see that what is presented here is false. Ubisoft was completely dodging any questions that could pin the hardware obviously because they were under scrutiny by Nintendo and the fact that WiiU is not 100% final.

However, they also said that what they've done so far was on par with PS360 even if was not refined simply because they have not optimized the code for the new console. Pointing out that it will be much better as they get past the learning curve.

I can't believe how much Nintendo hate exists among the core media.... I can't wait until ported games look noticeably better and then a game like Zelda or Metroid (which would both be amazing in realistic HD visuals) completely stops anything from any other dev.

Even if the journalist was being fair (I have not doubt he wasn't) there is nothing saying that Sony or Microsoft will be able to produce a system that some people would define as "Next Generation" for quite some time ...

Crysis 2 at its highest detail settings running at 1080p is a very impressive game and is far beyond what the HD consoles can do technically, but when you look at the HD console versions of the same game the graphical leap is far smaller than the leap from the PS2 to the PS3; which itself was a much smaller difference than the leap from the Playstation to the PS2.

To get the visual jump that many people associate with a generational jump Sony and Microsoft may need hardware that doesn't exist and may not be available for several years.

people have unreasonable expectations.  hell even if wii u was showing battlefield 3 in full maximum settings they would still expect the ps4 to look way better than that.

they think the new ps4 is going to have games that look better than any game that has been made today.  its just stupid.  the pc's are already stronger than the ps4 will most likely be, so why would the ps4 have better looking games than a pc can do?

I don't know anything about what the PS4 or next XBox will be, I'm just talking about where we are on the current technology curve ...

The jump in perceived quality from Crysis 2 on the consoles to Crysis 2 at high detail on the PC is similar to the perceived quality difference in the PC and console versions of Half-Life 2 or Doom 3; and these PC games ran as well on hardware that was released 2/3 years after the previous generation consoles as Crysis 2 does on hardware that is 5/6 years newer than the HD consoles.

well from experience on doom 3 for pc and seeing a friend play it on xbox, HOLY SHIT was teh xbox game a piece of crap compared to pc version.

it was such a HUGE difference.  Meanwhile, looking at pc games and their console parts, there is YES a difference, but no where near how big it was back then

Around the Network

Sigh...the WiiU trolling still continues i see.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

The Zelda Wii U tech demo certainly looks next gen to me.

If you spent any amount of time with the Xbox360 or PS3 you'd know that the shown Zelda Wii U tech isn't doing anything that can't be done on either the Xbox360 or PS3.  Zelda Wii U only looks next gen compared to the Wii.  

While I sincerely doubt it will happen, I hope that Nintendo is hearing the dissent about the Wii U and how it's displeasing to hear that the system is going to be underpowered in the next gen the way the Wii was this generation.  And I hope Nintendo uses this final year to cram as much extra power into that thing as possible before it launches.

IGN's note on it is that the system is only 50% more powerful than the PS3, which means it's technological "leap" is but a tip-toe step six inches forward.  The Wii was a GameCube 1.5, the Wii U will be a PS3 1.5.  That's lame.

I love how no one actually read it lol

this more or less confirms the "50% more powerful" scenario

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
Lastgengamer said:

What is next gen in Zelda Wii U Demo?

1080p? no.
60fps? no.
Stable framerate? no.
No low textures? no.

Sorry but what showed in Zelda Wii U Demo is not even on part with the king graphics for PS3/360.

Yes... still a bit early but the Zelda Wii U Demo is THIS GEN for sure.

Resident_Hazard said:

While I sincerely doubt it will happen, I hope that Nintendo is hearing the dissent about the Wii U and how it's displeasing to hear that the system is going to be underpowered in the next gen the way the Wii was this generation.  And I hope Nintendo uses this final year to cram as much extra power into that thing as possible before it launches.

Looking at the likely hardware specs(so far), how do you think Nintendo can improve it while  maintaining a cost and energy efficiency they like?

On another note,  let me clarify the assumptions made in  the other parts of your post, and the context in which they're taken. 

"If you spent any amount of time with the Xbox360 or PS3 you'd know that the shown Zelda Wii U tech isn't doing anything that can't be done on either the Xbox360 or PS3.  Zelda Wii U only looks next gen compared to the Wii"

This assumes many things: that the products of Wii U games will be reflective of what we see in the Zelda Wii U tech demo. A tech demo with 5 weeks of development behind it, and is competative with the top tier of what we see on the PS360, despite what visual interpretation PS360 gamers may have. These things shouldn't be judged by how good they look, but by what technologies they use and in which context. Oh and let's not forget that this tech demo is featured on a developing development kit which isn't close to the final product.

So what you're assuming here(Please clarify if my interpretation is incorrect):

- The tech demo reflects the Wii U's capabilities fully.

- The tech demo isn't competitive with what is seen on PS360.

• This latter point you observe without any empirical evidence other than what you see, which certainly isn't valid unless you're an expert on graphical rendering, and even then such a person considers what is being ran and in which context; not entirely based on aesthetics. The average PS360 gamer can't tell what is or what isn't developing technology unless there are significant visual distinctions, which isn't always the case. 

- There is no longer significant development of the Wii U.

- Optimization will no longer take place.

- The other next-generation platforms will be as superio to the Wii U, meaning they take a similar leap from PS2 -> PS3/XB -> XB360, if we are to take your assumption that the Wii U is a PS3 1.5 as truth, will be distinctive from the Wii U enough comparably to the difference between Wii -> HD Consoles now. Let's say this is possible, then we must assume that Sony and Microsoft will produce systems at an equivalent price-point or even higher while still losing profit with each sale.  

After reading all of this I hope you look up what tech demos looked like on PS360 in 2005/2006. While  the developing technologies were newer and harder to take advantage of, this isn't an excuse when Crysis, which competes with games released today was released in 2007. Furthermore, this same rule applies to Wii U as it lifetime terminates it will have far far superior games compared to it's premiere. 

"IGN's note on it is that the system is only 50% more powerful than the PS3, which means it's technological "leap" is but a tip-toe step six inches forward.  The Wii was a GameCube 1.5, the Wii U will be a PS3 1.5.  That's lame."

You are assuming that this is the truth, firstly. Until we here something similar from Nintendo, this should be considered a rumor at best and more likely a misinterpretation. You are also assuming that this is a clear, straightforward input and the output is "PS3 1.5" Who's to say that they were talking about processing power exclusively? Or that each component is at the very lease a 50% improvement, making the overall system worth much more? As others have said in the thread this was posted - which you should definitely read again, if you haven't - this quote is very, very vague and could mean anything. Making your own interpretations of it doesn't qualify it as evidence for your arguement.  

Assumptions:

- This is a factual representation of the console's ability without any abiguity caused by Nintendo's tightgrip on the systems specifications. 

- This is a clear, easy to interpret representation which means the Wii U is a PS3 1.5.

- This can't be interpreted in any other way. 

I'll again ask you to address my first question, and look up what kind of specifications we do know. You'll clearly see that 50%, as in 1/2 more,  PS3 1.5 doesn't fit in with the specifications we know as of now, which are subject to change. 

ethomaz said:
Lastgengamer said:

1080p? no.
60fps? no.
Stable framerate? no.
No low textures? no.

Sorry but what showed in Zelda Wii U Demo is not even on part with the king graphics for PS3/360.

Can you source me to where all of these were confirmed? Well of course excepting the "Stable framerate", that is a subjective analysis unless we have numbers to compare. From what I've seen it ran smoothly though, and I didn't notice any significant framerate changes to qualify it as "unstable".

As a side note, while the Zelda demo ran on hardware in real-time on the show flow I think it is highly unlikely that the hardware it was displayed on was representative of what the released hardware will be ...

About 6 months before it was released XBox 360 software was being displayed on hardware that only had a 2 core CPU that didn't have the additional instructions set that was part of the XBox 360's CPU, the GPU wasn't the same one that was released in the system (I don't remember the specifics though), and was packaged in a large PC tower to keep heat under control; and even then there were many instances of these demo systems over-heating and displaying errors.

12 to 18 months before the Wii U is being released, with hardware that is far from finalized, the Wii U software was running on unspecified hardware that was packaged into a case that is tiny and represents the size of the final Wii U system. Nintendo was very careful to say that none of the software on display was products and that they were demonstrations of how the controller could be used, third party publishers were not allowed to demonstrate software on the show floor, and there was a much more advanced demo that was shown behind closed doors only.

sc94597 said:
ethomaz said:
Lastgengamer said:

1080p? no.
60fps? no.
Stable framerate? no.
No low textures? no.

Can you source me to where all of these were confirmed? Well of course excepting the "Stable framerate", that is a subjective analysis unless we have numbers to compare. From what I've seen it ran smoothly though, and I didn't notice any significant framerate changes to qualify it as "unstable".

And I forget... No AA too.

The demo runs in 720p, you can see pausing the video or looking at screens released from Nintendo that is upscaled to 1080p... their native resolution is 720p... there are no AA... runs in 30fps with some framedrop (at least the framedrop could be the streaming video I saw)... the textures are low but Nintendo could be just worked more on Link and boss and left the environment.

The only thing that looks good is the lighting from may sources... but that's not next gen too.

That's my impression... and the tech details (720p, no AA, 30fps) you can google it... there a lot of sources.