By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony get rid of Zipper?

No. MAG is good... SOCOM I don't know because I didn't played it yet.

Around the Network
AnarchyWest said:
Zipper needs to listen to actual people who play been with the series since Socom 1 rather than try to get COD players to switch over to Socom. Zipper sold out big time with Socom 4. Please Sony have Bluepoint Games studio release Socom II HD.

100% this!

Zipper makes good games they just need a better director or big picture person that understands what would sell and what wouldn't. Mag was fun but I was just thinking there was no way this game would appeal to a broader audience without fundamental changes.

No. MAG wasn't a failure. Over 1m hard copies sold + PSN downloads, and it launched at $60. Socom 4 bombed so I think they need to move on to something new.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Procrastinato said:
TBH, Zipper is, in many ways, the tech powerhouse of Sony -- they have made unprecidented advances in network tech, as well as usage of the Cell for non-rendering tasks -- think of all the CPU muscle required to run the game logic, physics, and animation for 256 players at once. Even the SOCOM 4 co-op has a *really* impressive number of pretty intelligent AIs. I would even go as far to say that their 3D rendering tech is the best there is -- full 720p, at 30 Hz, with MLAA... that's pretty dang impressive. That, with all the networking, animation, ragdoll & physics, etc... is simply outstanding.

Pressing the reset button on such a team would be like folding a Draw Poker hand that has a pair of aces, before the draw -- i.e. it'd be foolish. What Zipper needs is good creative and design direction. They have some incredible engineering muscle -- they just need some creative juice to fuel them.

Fully agree with this. MAG was a massive step forward for online and really using the network. I still play MAG and although i can see why some were dissopointed with SOCOM i enjoyed using my team to really outsmart what tbh was a very clever enemy.

Wait... does this mean im not human?

PSN addy - mrx95

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. - Nelson Mandela

A radical is a man with his feet planted firmly in the air. - Franklin.D.Roosevelt

Around the Network

No, Sony shouldn't sell them. MAG was a great unique game and more importantly has amazing netcode, even if Zipper don't make as many games they can help Sony out in many other ways. I think to be successful Zipper have to be encouraged to do their own thing, MAG is still fairly active because it was unique, Socom was best before it went casual; Zipper just need to make their own games and they'll be fine, not selling Uncharted levels but easily profitable

MAG did great for a new IP online only game. Love it.

They have the best netcode out there aswell.

I think Zipper should move on from Socom for at least 3-4 years. Socom needs to rest for a while. In the meantime they need to work on something new. I think that an online samurai game using motion-controls, sword-fighting, archery, and ancient warfare tactics is something that could be fresh and original and make an impact. Nobody seems to want to make that game though.

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

Gojimaster said:
I think Zipper should move on from Socom for at least 3-4 years. Socom needs to rest for a while. In the meantime they need to work on something new. I think that an online samurai game using motion-controls, sword-fighting, archery, and ancient warfare tactics is something that could be fresh and original and make an impact. Nobody seems to want to make that game though.

You are right that SOCOM needs to take break, but an online samurai game with motion controls and all of that stuff sounds a little over the top from someone like Zipper.

This is what pisses me off. I normally don't get pissed off on here.

I am against sony buying anyone for this reason.
I've never liked a zipper game either.

A lot of you are like "buy this company, buy this company" when the company is doing good.
Then When the company has some problems you guys are like lets get rid of them. Instead of helping them. Which should be their job because ultimately sony is Zippers parent company.

Everyone yells at microsoft for this kind of thing. Look at ensemble look at rare.

These types of things is what mostly separated Sony from Microsoft in my mind. Is they maintained their 1st party studios.

But one thing I hate sony for is what did to studio liverpool (my favorite 1st party sony studio) even though they released games around a 90 meta... Now they dont exist. Or atbest they're merged with the company that makes motorstorm. Yes a new wipeout is coming out and I'm excited.

If sony's not willing to help it's first parties be successful, they should not buy them. Other wise they're like cisco buying flip. And then shutting them down because they're not "profitable enough". Yes this is reality. But I tend to avoid purchasing product from companies that do this type of crap.