By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE New Batch of Reviews (inFAMOUS 2, LA Noire, Witcher 2, Brink, Dirt 3)

haxxiy said:
Zlejedi said:
haxxiy said:
JEMC said:
After reading their review for The Witcher 2, I get the idea that:
1-They don't like the fact that you can't create your character or choose your class. Anyone who buys this game already knows that.

And that's still not a reason we shouldn't complain about it. Nowadays the ability to choose your character on a (W)RPG is just as important as choosing your armor or weapon. I bet they lost some sales due to this.

Let me ask you:

if you played hypoteticall Lord of the rings RPG would you complain that you can't change Aragorn into hobbit paladin ?

Seems to me reviewer was too stupid and lazy to google reasons why you play as predefined character.

That would be the bare least such a game would need to deliver, and nowadays the industry is hardly about making success with the bare least. Also, don't be unfair as to compare the best selling high fantasy book ever to a completely unknown polish series. 

Those completly unknown books are more popular than Tolkien in Poland and Russia (territories which generated close to 1/3 of TW1 sales).
There would be angry mob under CDP office if you could reclass Geralt and make him use axes as default weapons.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Acevil said:
CGI-Quality said:
Boutros said:
Why do you guys say 6 is good?

Here's the summary of the review:

The game's second half descends into a fiasco...One thing's for certain: if there's a great action game in Infamous 2, no one's actually built it yet.

It looks to me like a 6 isn't good.

Because their "6" is apparently considered good. Can anyone confirm?

I will use lets say IGN or lets say Gamespot. They have 10 point system were generally 7.5 is considered the average point. This is generally the norm in gaming. 

While Edge uses 5 as the average point similar to movie reviewers or book reviewers.
So if you were to do it aligned 5=7.5, 6=8.0, 7=8.5, 8=9, 9=9.5, 10=10. 

Given people should always see the content, not the score. 

No argument there.

That argument implies: 1 = 5.5, 2 = 6, 3 = 6.5, 4 = 7, 5=7.5, 6=8.0, 7=8.5, 8=9, 9=9.5, 10=10.

Now that doesn't make much sense does it. I think they have an agenda and I think the score they gave is totally unfair. Don't get me wrong, I didn't even like the first inFamous, but this game has quality stamped all over it.

i wish someone would hack them and change the score to 8 or 9/10. That would be the right way of using one's hacking abilities.

LOL prototype VASTLY superior? ohh edge such garbage taste.......

Zlejedi said:
haxxiy said:
Zlejedi said:
haxxiy said:
JEMC said:
1-They don't like the fact that you can't create your character or choose your class. Anyone who buys this game already knows that.

And that's still not a reason we shouldn't complain about it. Nowadays the ability to choose your character on a (W)RPG is just as important as choosing your armor or weapon. I bet they lost some sales due to this.

Let me ask you:

if you played hypoteticall Lord of the rings RPG would you complain that you can't change Aragorn into hobbit paladin ?

Seems to me reviewer was too stupid and lazy to google reasons why you play as predefined character.

That would be the bare least such a game would need to deliver, and nowadays the industry is hardly about making success with the bare least. Also, don't be unfair as to compare the best selling high fantasy book ever to a completely unknown polish series. 

Those completly unknown books are more popular than Tolkien in Poland and Russia (territories which generated close to 1/3 of TW1 sales).
There would be angry mob under CDP office if you could reclass Geralt and make him use axes as default weapons.

I know this is a 'standard' feature these days, but I am wholly opposed to them criticizing the game for this. In other words I agree with you, and you make some good points.

infamous 2 a 6? >:O

Around the Network

Witcher 2 = 6?

GTFO lol, I will not increase their traffic by going to the site by I am finding edge more and more 'trololololol' by the day.

I tried InFamous 2 demo yesterday and i felt the game too similar to the original for my taste. But that was just the demo. I'll get the game eventually, I guess.

Acevil said:
CGI-Quality said:
Boutros said:
Why do you guys say 6 is good?

Here's the summary of the review:

The game's second half descends into a fiasco...One thing's for certain: if there's a great action game in Infamous 2, no one's actually built it yet.

It looks to me like a 6 isn't good.

Because their "6" is apparently considered good. Can anyone confirm?

I will use lets say IGN or lets say Gamespot. They have 10 point system were generally 7.5 is considered the average point. This is generally the norm in gaming. 

While Edge uses 5 as the average point similar to movie reviewers or book reviewers.
So if you were to do it aligned 5=7.5, 6=8.0, 7=8.5, 8=9, 9=9.5, 10=10. 

Given people should always see the content, not the score. 

I wouldn't go along with that. Gamespot: inFamous 2 - 7.5, Brink - 6. Edge 6 for both. I think there's more like a 1pt adustment between Edge and everyone else. So for Edge a 5 = 6 for most other review sites. Edge doesn't do half scores,which really means Edge scores cover a rage for sites that do half scores so an Edge 5 is like a 5.5-6.5 for everyone else. The level of criticism I've seen in Edge reviews for games scoring below 7 pretty much means the game isn't all that good. So no way a 6 correlates to anything like an 8 IMO.

Just curious, what was their inFamous review like? I really like inFamous. I see inFamous 2 is getting a meta of 8.4 at the moment so it's kept up nicely by the look of things

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

haxxiy said:
JEMC said:
haxxiy said:
JEMC said:

No it's not. The person who buys this game knows that he/she will play as Geralt and how he is and that's why they shouldn't penalize for that. Yes, other WRPG let you create your character but that's not that important (not even close to choosig your weapons or armor) because The Witcher 2 is not like them.

Most WRPG are based on taking the role of a random guy that gets caught in the middle of something bigger and takes part in those events, usually as the hero. But in The Witcher you follow the story of Geralt who doesn't get caught in the middle of something, He  is that something.

Having said that, why do they criticize the game for that but don't praise it for letting you choose your actions and come with true consequences?

Err... because the consequences are hardly relevant? I'm playing the game, I know how the damn thing works. It barely keeps up with the illusion of a choice like Bioware usually does.

Consequences are irrelevant? Bioware doing choices better? Look, I love Mass Effect, but if your idea of consequences and choices are those you get from them then we have 2 different visions of what those things mean. In Mass Effect you can either be good or bad. That's all. Are you happy with it? I'm not. I'm neither good or bad, just like everybody, yet with Bioware games you only get new things if you are either good or bad. What if I want to be both? You get nothing, you get stuck in a territory where you can't do/get anything the others can. If your happy with this simplicity then good for you, but sometimes I need another kind of experience. Like the one you can get with the Whitcher were your choices doesn't make you good or bad, where the consequences of your actions are not inmediate nor obvious.

Look at it from this perspective, WRPG are like movies while The witcher is a 1 story per episode TV series, something reinforced by the fact that it's based on a series of books.

In a movie/WRPG there is a story where the main character, you, is faced with a threat/disaster and has to stop it. Who are you and how you do it are ot important, the threat is.

In an self-conclusive TV series (like CSI, NCIS, Castle, etc) there are a lot of things happening but only 1 thing connects them, your character. That's the only thing that goes along all episodes turning the show/game less about what happens and more about the character and how it faces this threats.

PD: Seriously my English is quite bad, if we could talk in Spanish (my language, I'm sorry but I don't speak Brazilian) then I could give you a better idea of what I mean, but that's all I can do in English.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

radiantshadow92 said:
edge sucks

Maybe Infamous 2 sucks.....

*Runs to his bunker*

Edit: El Shaddai > Infamous 2 SWEEET!

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."