By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Molyneux on Fable: The Journey: “It’s not on rails

i really don't like the way he said "when microsoft told us to do a core kinect game" it just makes it sound like they were forced into it

End of 2012 prediction:

xbox 360 : 73-75 million  playstation 3 : 72-74 million  wii : 104-105 million 

Most hyped for :

Bioshock: infinte, The Last Of Us, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Agent

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I just wish somebody would make one of those old point and click games like Shadowgate, Maniac Mansion, Deja Vu, or The Uninvited for the for Kinect. It's a perfect fit.

yeah or a good old top gun remake could be fun too....

are we deRAILING the thread here ??? lol :P

d21lewis said:
I just wish somebody would make one of those old point and click games like Shadowgate, Maniac Mansion, Deja Vu, or The Uninvited for the for Kinect. It's a perfect fit.

LucasArts and ICOM for the win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuNn_wFa4rc

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

chazy13 said:
i really don't like the way he said "when microsoft told us to do a core kinect game" it just makes it sound like they were forced into it

they probably was

oniyide said:
UltimateUnknown said:
oniyide said:
Is he for real??? He says the game is not on-rails, but then says that you spend most of your time on a horse, that you dont control??? The guy didnt even mention how you will move, I want to see how this plays out, because this guy does not have a great track record, when it comes to promising things
Really, just add a nav controller, screw this noise about not wanting to copy

Basically, think about it like real life, how would you control a horse sitting in a carraige?

You would whip the ropes in your hand to make the horse move, if you stop whipping your the horse would eventually stop (or you can probably stop immediately by pulling the ropes hard). Plus besides that you can change the direction of the horse with more hand/body motions. I think its a very good prospect.

I can tell you are not a rabid supporter of Kinect, or any of its titles, but at least give the game a chance, these guys are good at what they make.

the man said that most of the game would be on horse and carragie. So it does in face sound like it will be mostly on rails. This is not going to be like the regular Fable games where your going to play the entire game sans controller. Plus, this is Pete we are talking about, maybe if it was some other guy, but he makes promises for games that he cant keep. I like the tech of Kinect, i do. but outside of exercise and dancing nothing else has impressed me. But if im wrong ill eat crow

Well, just because you are on a horse doesn't mean it has to be on rails, you can still explore Albion while on the horse. It may sound a bit boring to think you are riding a horse for the entireity of a game, but in many games you are running for the whole game, but its still fun because you do a variety of things while on foot.

Yea, I think it was very clever of them to actually use this horse riding mechanic to make it non-on-rails because using your hand to make a horse move+change direction is quite natural, but jogging where you stand sounds absolute garbage. But I do expect all the off-horse segments to be on rails, it just seems there's not many of those segments.

Around the Network
endimion said:
lol that's what he meant by not on rail... the horse will randomely go off to run after a sex partner or take a crap in the wild :P

no but seriously I still don't see why a game can't be fun and good because it is on rail..... side scrollers, top down scrollers and other games are on rail people still love them... I'd rather have a good rail game than a bad free roaming one.... don't you guys ???

Fable was supposed to be Molyneux's achievement in perfecting the modern RPG, but his actions are always at odds with his words. Fable has gone in so many directions its crazy. Never has it matched what Molyneux has to say. I believe he should be the ring leader at the circus because at least people with weird, in-human talent can back up his bullshit.

chazy13 said:

I think Microsoft noticed a lot of people who are buying kinect already own the system. Trust me, the wont support the "core" titles. They haven't established a core yet. They don't even know what core is.

I do think that people on these forums are often chauvinistic about certain game genres. However it isn't without a good reason. The thing is we know how hard it is to make a good game in a genre, and we know how much it does tend to cost. So when you say that a game is on rails. Two thoughts spring to mind this was a cheaply made game, and it is pretty hard to screw up a game in this genre. What really doesn't help matters is that developers are rarely willing to price accordingly. Often we see these games priced at the same level as games we know took a lot more time, money, and innovation. So a lot of people are justifiably jaded against them.

I agree games on rails are perfectly fine, but they are only fine within a context. That being that they are priced in a way that is respective to what they naturally offer. Someone in this thread said they would rather play a great rail based game over a bad open world game. My answer to that is this I wouldn't pay sixty bucks for either. There are a lot of game genres that I refuse to fork that much money out for.

Maybe this might clear things up for some? http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6318603/ its pretty much the same thing but it is better to actually listen to it explained.

"Basically, the theory is that if a game has horses, it’s substantially more likely to be extremely good. Ocarina of Time: horse. Shadow of the Colossus: horse. Assassin’s Creed 2: horse. Red Dead Redemption: TONNES of horses."

Hmm how great would those games be if you can't get of the horse and move around. Plus every time you have to drive a carriage in a game it looks and controls terribly.

I never liked combat on horse in Zelda. I rather got of to fight. I hardly ever used a horse in AC2. It was fine in SotC to get places fast as long as you don't want to turn too tightly. RDR shooting from horse, awful, getting over walls or through gates, terrible, but the animation was good.

Anyway great way to hide the lag and unresponsiveness, blame the horse.