By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Nintendo always going to be behind Microsoft and Sony in graphics?

radiantshadow92 said:
Thats exactly why i know for sure i wont be buying the wiiU at launch. I might as well just keep my ps3 *which will be cheaper then the wiiU* AND the ps4 will kill it in graphics and it will be a redo all over again. Oh and i am pretty sure miyamoto himself said that the wiiU has ps3/360 graphics.

If the graphics are the most important thing for you why don’t you just go watch Avatar or another CG :P

Anywho people seem to have forgotten how the PS360 were in the beginning of their lives. Games did not look that much better than the GC/Xbox. And btw Nintendo has never showed us a tech demo that was not possible on the machine they are working on. They always have better graphics than shown in the tech demos. That can be said about both N64 and GC

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

nintendo is intelligent because they will use technology used in the ps3 and xbox 360 and therefore in 2012 that technology will be cheaper and the wiiU will cost less than the ps4 and xbox 720 and that will give them an advantage in sales.

We aren't even for sure what the Wii U is capable of. Besides, it's possible that that stuff could change.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

mai said:
kain_kusanagi said:

The N64 was more powerful than the Sega Saturn and PSX. But CDs alowed the PSX and Saturn to store more and larger textures.

And the point of "storing more and larger textures" if they were unable to handle them properly? BTW the same could be said about texture resolution, infamous limited texture cache of N64 doesn't all of a sudden make PS1 textures look better.

kain_kusanagi said:

My bet is the Wii-U will be the least powerful 8th generation console.

Oh my, you're a prophet!

The system that's going to debut first likely will be the least powerful (NES, Wii U). Actually there's only one exclusion from that rule as long as Nintendo involved (Wii), otherwise Nintendo usually debuts with stronger hardware (SNES, N64, GC).

Actualy the SNES had a weeker CPU than the Genesis, but it's GPU had a few tricks built in that made up for it. Many multiplatform games ran faster on the Genesis and had better color on the SNES. The Gamecube was not the most powerfull system of the 6th generation, the Xbox was the most powerfull. But it was more powerfull than the Dreamcast and PS2, just not the Xbox. The N64 was the most powerful of it's generation, but it's storage limits and cart manufacturing costs hurt it's 3rd party support.

Roma said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Thats exactly why i know for sure i wont be buying the wiiU at launch. I might as well just keep my ps3 *which will be cheaper then the wiiU* AND the ps4 will kill it in graphics and it will be a redo all over again. Oh and i am pretty sure miyamoto himself said that the wiiU has ps3/360 graphics.

If the graphics are the most important thing for you why don’t you just go watch Avatar or another CG :P

Anywho people seem to have forgotten how the PS360 were in the beginning of their lives. Games did not look that much better than the GC/Xbox. And btw Nintendo has never showed us a tech demo that was not possible on the machine they are working on. They always have better graphics than shown in the tech demos. That can be said about both N64 and GC

I dont care about graphics all that much, but third parties will be make thier games on the HD+ systems again, thats what i mean't by redo.

Around the Network

Considering its Nintendo, I dont think they will price their device higher then 299$ or sell at a loss. They need to stream and handle the controller, they have a new proprietary drive, the box is also small with very small vents. If we are talking about graphic, saying its on-par or bit better seems realistic to me. About the tech demo discussion, you can have a look on a tech demo "rendered by the PS3" in 2005:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9QbYWEd7AE

In any case, its not very important, Nintendo were successful doing their own thing. They are a couple gen ahead in terms of profit. If they price their console at a higher price or sell at a loss they can surely be a lot more powerful, but it wouldnt do them any good, PS3 proved that.

If you thought only resolution matter have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B0i7sgk3Xo&feature=related