By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Nintendo always going to be behind Microsoft and Sony in graphics?

Seece said:
scottie said:

Lol @ "possibly on par with PS360" You are basing that off - I can only assume - the tech demoes shown at E3 with a year before the release of the console, comparing them to the best graphics produced on the PS3 to date.

Perfect Dark 0, a fairly well respected launch title for the 360.

And a tech demo. Inevitably, the final game will be much more polished

Is this really going to happen? It's like the xbox is more powerful than Wii bullshit again, except even more preposterous this time

PS3 had tech demos in 2005 that still look better than anything on the console, or so I heard from another topic, so don't latch onto that Zelda video too tight for proof.

That's true. The Killzone 2 video was a little ridiculous in hindsight.

What I actually want to add is that Nintendo and Sony have very different agendas. Nothing from memory indicates that Nintendo would be interested in playing that game.

Around the Network
Seece said:
No, arnt you listening to Nintendo fans here? apparantly MS and Sony arnt going to bother and the graphical leap from the 05 360 and 06 PS3 are going to be minimal, with no reason given.

Maybe it's because current PC developers, with more creative talent than MS and Sony combined, have only managed Crysis, 3D and multi monitor setups with the huge leaps in hardware they have available to them.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Seece, seriously, real specs aren't even out yet, and im pretty sure this is a lot earlier in development than the PS3 was when they debuted it. Nintendo said this won't likely come out for more than a year. Everything we know about it already suggests its faster than the PS3, but you're trying to judge it based on tech demos where the only visible difference is how bright the lighting is.... I mean seriously, you can't even tell the difference looking at these.

I do believe that Nintendo would be interested in making a somewhat more powerful console than the PS3. Look at the Wii compared to the xbox/gamecube. Now that the tech is cheaper and more stable, they are more than happy to make a slightly better machine. Its one of the reasons Nintendo is so clever in my book. They are letting PS3/360 release hot/buggy/red ring of death/disc scratching/massive power block/noisy fan piece of technology then after 5 years, make their own bargain version which runs like a dream and is incredibly optimized for developers.

Dr.Grass said:
Khuutra said:
Zlejedi said:
It's been their modus operandi for three consoles already to sell past gen hardware with gimmick at current gen prices.

Now the Wii definitely uses matured hardware - but the Gamecube and N64? Come on.

Agreed. Many Gamecube games challenged the best looking Xbox games. I still go back to Starfox Adventures, Metroid Prime and even the early Rogue Squadron II just to admire how powerful that little purple box was.

Nintendo completely satisfied me with the power of the Gamecube. What's more, they were able to make a much smaller, much cheaper console than MS that seemed to hold its own against the gargantuan Xbox.

Seriously, go look at Starfox Adventures people - Gamecube was pushing boundaries back then.

Where I lived no-one even knew what a Gamecube was, so I showed it off quite a bit. I really liked the handle - could just pick it up and carry it to my friends' house for some awesome Smash Bros times. I lent my GC to my PC-gamer buddy who was unconvinced about consoles. I gave him the firm instruction: ''Go play Metroid Prime. Get used to the controls and see it as an adventure game. Explore and read all the lore. Go get lost.'' Less than a week later he finished Prime and said it was the most beautiful game he ever played.

Anyways, I got a little carried away, but Nintendo CAN be on the cutting edge if they want to. It just depends on whether they see it as a substantial factor for the masses or not.

Noone is saying Gamecube was underpowered - that was last Nintendo console released which presented top of the line hardware for it's time.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
Dr.Grass said:
Khuutra said:
Zlejedi said:
It's been their modus operandi for three consoles already to sell past gen hardware with gimmick at current gen prices.

Now the Wii definitely uses matured hardware - but the Gamecube and N64? Come on.

Agreed. Many Gamecube games challenged the best looking Xbox games. I still go back to Starfox Adventures, Metroid Prime and even the early Rogue Squadron II just to admire how powerful that little purple box was.

Nintendo completely satisfied me with the power of the Gamecube. What's more, they were able to make a much smaller, much cheaper console than MS that seemed to hold its own against the gargantuan Xbox.

Seriously, go look at Starfox Adventures people - Gamecube was pushing boundaries back then.

Where I lived no-one even knew what a Gamecube was, so I showed it off quite a bit. I really liked the handle - could just pick it up and carry it to my friends' house for some awesome Smash Bros times. I lent my GC to my PC-gamer buddy who was unconvinced about consoles. I gave him the firm instruction: ''Go play Metroid Prime. Get used to the controls and see it as an adventure game. Explore and read all the lore. Go get lost.'' Less than a week later he finished Prime and said it was the most beautiful game he ever played.

Anyways, I got a little carried away, but Nintendo CAN be on the cutting edge if they want to. It just depends on whether they see it as a substantial factor for the masses or not.

Noone is saying Gamecube was underpowered - that was last Nintendo console released which presented top of the line hardware for it's time.

Damn straight.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
Seece said:
scottie said:

Lol @ "possibly on par with PS360" You are basing that off - I can only assume - the tech demoes shown at E3 with a year before the release of the console, comparing them to the best graphics produced on the PS3 to date.

Is this really going to happen? It's like the xbox is more powerful than Wii bullshit again, except even more preposterous this time

PS3 had tech demos in 2005 that still look better than anything on the console, or so I heard from another topic, so don't latch onto that Zelda video too tight for proof.

That's true. The Killzone 2 video was a little ridiculous in hindsight.

What I actually want to add is that Nintendo and Sony have very different agendas. Nothing from memory indicates that Nintendo would be interested in playing that game.

The Killzone 2 video wasn't a tech demo though ... It was a pre-rendered video that Sony claimed would look like the final product.

The Wii U tech demos were running on the systems hardware in real time and displayed levels of interactivity you often see in videocard tech demos. Being that the hardware is not finalized yet, Nintendo's software libraries/game engines have (probably) not been completed yet, and the developers have (probably) not mastered the hardware yet it is entirely possible that these tech=demos may turn out like the Gamecube tech demos and be eclipsed by games that are actually released for the system.

Seece said:
scottie said:

And Nintendo had GameCube and N64 tech demos that looked significantly worse than what the console was capable of putting out (compare Spaceworld Zelda to Twilight Princess. Hell, compare Spaceworld Zelda to Link and Ganondorf's character models in Melee)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Crazymann said:
Zlejedi said:

What an excellent, inflamatory post!

Now, kindly leave your den under the bridge and go hop on the failboat. 

First, let's assume that you mean home systems when you say consoles.  While it's true that Wii is much weaker than the PS3, the GC was more powerful than the PS2 and the N64 was more powerful than the PS1 (albeirt limited by storage medium).

If you mean home OR portable consoles, then... well... you are still wrong.  PS3 is more powerful than Wii, and PSP is more powerful than DS, BUT the GC was still more powerful than the PS2 and you said "three consoles". 

It's weird.  I made a post after you made your post and said virtually the exact same thing that you said--even the part in the parenthesis!!  Thing is, I never read your post until about five seconds ago.  The similarities are kinda scary.

Thats exactly why i know for sure i wont be buying the wiiU at launch. I might as well just keep my ps3 *which will be cheaper then the wiiU* AND the ps4 will kill it in graphics and it will be a redo all over again. Oh and i am pretty sure miyamoto himself said that the wiiU has ps3/360 graphics.

It may seemed like a disadvantage but I think that's their advantage as well.