By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sales of wii if ninty could meet demand?

jmcoo7 said:
I have one but sadly nobody i know has one or wants one , im fed up with it already and im very disappointed . Maybe i will dig out my old snes and remember the glory days frankly im finished with Nintendo and apart from Zelda im not impressed .

You do realize its only month 5 right?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

10M a month? shams you're delusional, there aren't *that* many people waiting in line for one, hope that was meant to be 1M :P

That is a good question, Kwaad usually has good numbered answers. I noticed VG hasnt updated in a bit.

Demand is only going to rise as more people are exposed to it. Nintendo really dropped the ball under-estimating demand so badly: the Wii only seems to make sense with insane sales as we're seeing...

If Nintendo could meet demand it would already have sold more than the 360 - maybe 12 mill by now. Beyond that I really have no clue and I don't suspect Nintendo do either.

Around the Network
DKII said:
10M a month? shams you're delusional, there aren't *that* many people waiting in line for one, hope that was meant to be 1M :P

1M doesn't get even *close* to current demand. As I said - in an "ideal" world (no delays, unlimited stock to every shop in the world) I think they could sell 10m/month - (for a month or two only). It sounds insane (and it may be right off) - but that is about 3m in US, 3m in Japan,3m in Europe + 1m everywhere else.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

StarcraftManiac said:

Hmmm, this makes me wonder...

Why not start fabricating 12 months before launch. So you have more then 10 mil in stock of your system... Cause; every system (most of the time) will sell through 10 mil. (Nintendo consoles I.E.D because they have the fanbase)...

That's a very good question, and comes to the heart of the development/release cycle of a console.

The problems with this are:

1/ You stockpile HUGE amounts of consoles - which are not being shipped or sold.

2/ These stockpiled consoles are not bringing you in ANY money - just sitting there, costing you money.

3/ It means hardware design/tooling/development has to be complete about 15-18 months BEFORE the release of the console. This results in the console being released with "older" technology (opposite strategy to what Sony uses).

There is also a general "risk", that it flops - and you are left with huge stockpiles of units that can't be sold. Or even worse, you discover a problem at release, and need to change all the consoles.

The upside, is you could have a MASSIVE launch - sell most of your units within a couple of months (and establish a lead that can't be beat). Also makes sense with marketing dollars (big marketing push, lots of units to sell).

I suspect there is a chance Nintendo could try this strategy with the DS2. No chance of them not selling, units don't take that much space in a warehouse, etc. More likely to be 6 months though - 12 months just too risky. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I think that the total number sold would be closer to the 360 number, maybe about 500k under, but true no one will really no

jmcoo7 said:
I have one but sadly nobody i know has one or wants one , im fed up with it already and im very disappointed . Maybe i will dig out my old snes and remember the glory days frankly im finished with Nintendo and apart from Zelda im not impressed .

Hey jmcoo7, I'm going to go ahead and rewrite your post so that it's not quite as confrontational.

jmcoo7 - I have absolutely nothing of any value to contribute to this thread. Good night everyone! 

There, now we can take what you say considerably more seriously 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
jmcoo7 said:

You do realize its only month 5 right?

The Wii already sells over 1 million a month worldwide. For Demand I would expect it to be a little lower than the DS in Japan so I would say between 100 and 120 K a week with the occasional bump to 220K for big game releases.

So Japan  would be around 400-480K a month average 440K

In the US I would expect it to be around 440-480K a month average 460K

I am not to up on Europe numbers but I would gander between 350K and 400K Average 375K

or a total average of 1.275 million a month WW maybe slightly higher. The thingis once demand is met it sales will slowly decline month after month until a deent game library is built.

6.58/6= just under 1.1 million a month. I personally feel demand is just a little bit under supply.