By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you like Animal Crossing?

I loved Animal Crossing ever since I read about it in 2001.  My first avatar here was KK Slider.  I bought the original Animal Crossing when I bought my Gamecube but it turned out the Gamecube version was a bit too tedious,  writing letters and getting fossils checked especially.  I got the DS version shortly after getting my DS and have found it much better.  It does have some worse aspects (smaller village, more bland PC holidays) but what it fixed (writing letters and getting fossils examined), and what it added (online and more dialogue) more than makes up for it.
Bodhesatva said:
HappySqurriel said:

Like The Sims or Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing is a game based more on communication and co-operation than competition which makes it very different than most games; these differences are the main reason why Animal Crossing is so popular with gamers who think games like Halo and Metroid Prime are borring.

This is the correct answer. It's a bit like asking: "Why do girls like to play with dolls? "

Different people play games for different purposes. Some want to blow each other up. If you fall into the category, the following statements are most likely true:

1) You don't like Animal Crossing
2) You cannot fathom why everyone doesn't want to play the same things you do, because clearly they are better

But I like blowing stuff up and Animal Crossing.  At the moment I'm playing CoD4 and AC:WW.  When I played the original Animal Crossing I was also playing Halo and Metroid Prime.

Around the Network

Do you know about the terrible secret of Animal Crossing? 

I originally didn't want to play it because it sounded too much like Harvest Moon in a town, but when I tried it I was hooked from the first moment I bought my own house and moved around the box that was inside it

I spent the New Year's countdown that year in AC to celebrate with the vilagers.

Animal Crossing is one of those games I like but I'm not sure why I like it. I spent HOURS playing it on Gamecube about 20 minutes a day for an full year to see every event. I don't cheat! It was fun and I'm not sure why I enjoyed it.

My sisters kids and non-gamers seemed to get a lot more out of it than me though.. I guess it helped that at the time I was on a BBS devoted to the game and had many people to trade with etc.

i don't really understand animal crossing either.

but most games are laborious and tedious in the same way. RPGs for instance, you just go around building up stats and fighting similar enemies. what fun is that?

yet i find it fun. a lots of us enjoy pretending to be heroes and accomplishing stuff in the game. same with AC for those people who enjoy it.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

I love it. My gf and I played for two months straight. We even celebrated Christmas and New Years on it. Don't ask my why it is fun. It doesn't seem like it would be; but collecting furniture for my gf and sending it to her in a letter was strangely gratifying.

I think it is very much a multiplayer game. Animal Crossing MMO is going to rock my socks off. Especially since I firmly believe we will see major Mii integration.

Hell yeah I like it. The Gamecube was great.

I like it.There is nothing better than to see how pissed off cute animals can be. XD

Quality for Life

twas a good game, even if it did have some major child labour overtones

albionus said:
I loved Animal Crossing ever since I read about it in 2001.  My first avatar here was KK Slider.  I bought the original Animal Crossing when I bought my Gamecube but it turned out the Gamecube version was a bit too tedious,  writing letters and getting fossils checked especially.  I got the DS version shortly after getting my DS and have found it much better.  It does have some worse aspects (smaller village, more bland PC holidays) but what it fixed (writing letters and getting fossils examined), and what it added (online and more dialogue) more than makes up for it.
Bodhesatva said:
HappySqurriel said:

Like The Sims or Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing is a game based more on communication and co-operation than competition which makes it very different than most games; these differences are the main reason why Animal Crossing is so popular with gamers who think games like Halo and Metroid Prime are borring.

This is the correct answer. It's a bit like asking: "Why do girls like to play with dolls? "

Different people play games for different purposes. Some want to blow each other up. If you fall into the category, the following statements are most likely true:

1) You don't like Animal Crossing
2) You cannot fathom why everyone doesn't want to play the same things you do, because clearly they are better

But I like blowing stuff up and Animal Crossing.  At the moment I'm playing CoD4 and AC:WW.  When I played the original Animal Crossing I was also playing Halo and Metroid Prime.

Yeah, I was trying to be careful and phrase the implication as "gamers who don't like FPS often like Animal Crossing" because there are some of us who like multiple types of games including Animal Crossing...

The thing that really has me very curious about Animal Crossing for the Wii is that every version of Animal Crossing we have seen has been (at its core) a N64 game, and it shows. I'm don't really care if it gets much of a graphical upgrade because I think the simple graphics (to a certain extent) adds to its style, but the added processing power, memory and storage space should enable Nintendo to make a far richer game.