By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - fanboys hurt third parties?

Recently on the Nintendo N-Sider forums I confronted a N-Sider who claimed that fanboy's were the downfall of Nintendo. So I've come here to talk about it in a more intellectual manner!  As well as talk about fanboys in general on all platform's not exclusive to Nintendo's platforms.

A fanboy is somebody who is not only loyal to a specific company but narrow mindedly supports that single company in any and all situations. A fanboy cannot be reasoned with and blindly supports his or her specific company only. In some cases fanboys have been known even to boycott third party titles on their companies platform!

A Loyalist is a gamer who remains open minded enjoying all games but sticks to a single platform loyaly prefering that companies titles and hardware to any of the other companies. Loyalism is the loyalty to a single brand. A Loyalist however can often be talked toand will often support htird parties and first parties. A loyalists Ideology is often why buy a second platform when I can use that money to buy jmore of the games on my existing platform. I'm happy with (Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo) why would I want to go buy the other companies hardware.

Now that being said do loyalists/fanboy's hurt third party sales, which consoles are most affected by Fanboy's and are they affected in a positive or negative manor? 

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

I am going to assume you are talking about fanboys of a console maker. If so, then no. If fanboy's were this way all the time then they would represent a loss in sales and fanboys (especially boycotting ones) most likely be large enough to hurt a company.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Fanboys the downfall of Nintendo? That's crazy-talk. No way Nintendo survives the N64 and GC years without the fanboys. Well, they probably would've been fine because of the handheld business, but without the Fanboy sale, the GC would've done far worse than it did. Nintendo probably would've been far more reluctant to release another console.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Joelcool7 said:

Recently on the Nintendo N-Sider forums I confronted a N-Sider who claimed that fanboy's were the downfall of Nintendo. So I've come here to talk about it in a more intellectual manner! As well as talk about fanboys in general on all platform's not exclusive to Nintendo's platforms.

A fanboy is somebody who is not only loyal to a specific company but narrow mindedly supports that single company in any and all situations. A fanboy cannot be reasoned with and blindly supports his or her specific company only. In some cases fanboys have been known even to boycott third party titles on their companies platform!

A Loyalist is a gamer who remains open minded enjoying all games but sticks to a single platform loyaly prefering that companies titles and hardware to any of the other companies. Loyalism is the loyalty to a single brand. A Loyalist however can often be talked toand will often support htird parties and first parties. A loyalists Ideology is often why buy a second platform when I can use that money to buy jmore of the games on my existing platform. I'm happy with (Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo) why would I want to go buy the other companies hardware.

Now that being said do loyalists/fanboy's hurt third party sales, which consoles are most affected by Fanboy's and are they affected in a positive or negative manor?

IMO:

1)MULTI

people that play ALL games on ALL consoles,they often are early adopters.,and retro gamers.

they often think they are "super gamers" because they play ALL consoles...
stupid ones...they are racist in a way....

2) FAKE MULTI

people that believe they are "super gamers" because they have a ps2 and a x360...

often casual gamers that believe they are multi with 2 consoles and noobing on forums... 

3)FANBOY(console)

like ultra' in soccer,they buy only one console and bash others...ignorant ones

4)FANBOY(game)

ex. my brother is an old Squaresoft fan, he plays FF on ps1/2,GC,DS,GBA,NES,SNES ect...

they are console agnostic ,usually play on nintendo/sony/ms,but they have a favorite console.

5)CORE FAN

no it's not a cpu fan....ehehehe

people that usually know very well other console but make a choice on the one they prefer....

ex. i'm a nintendian,but I finished ff8...

usually they bash third parties for not porting games...

in the end...

I like nintendo consoles they are the best...

but i can't play FF series on a nintendo console because of a third party called SQUARE-ENIX...

so if i want to play a FF game I have to buy another console...

it's that right???

no!!

people are forced by third parties policy to buy other consoles that maybe they don't want...

another example:

if I wat to play PES I have to buy an x360 or a ps2...

is that right???

I play it on pc...stupid konami...

if they port pes on wii I will buy it on console...

I remeber in snes era that if wat i could play mortal Kombat both on snes and on MD...

the market was solid,and the only difference was mario vs sonic...

yes ex-squaresoft stay on snes side,but they always stay with larger user base console... ex.now  DQ9 on ds...

so in the end it's not fault of "fanboys" but of third parties policy...

Nintendo proved them that they can win with a dog simulation and a brain test on an "old" cartridge...

console... 

poeple don't need a crappy portable disc media player to play  GAMES...

It depends. If there were more N-fanboys, yes. Simply and only for the fact that Nintendo systems have a much lower 3rd party tier ratio, and the more N-fanboys (as opposed to Sega, Sony or Microsoft) are rabbid about Nintendo software than if they were a Sony fanboy or Microsoft fanboy.

But that's just talking from a 3rd party software fanboy.

A fanboy hurts any system because they are stupid. A level-headed supporter of a certain platform that has reasons other than the fact that "it's all they've grown up on and known" for games will help a system, as they can benefit the newer player with an actual opinion on what games to buy and which is the best system to own.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Fanboys can't hurt 3rd parties.

3rd parties can hurt themselves, and try to put the blame on fanboys. 3rd parties have to know their consumers base, and they have to know how to market their game to them.

They have to make good games too, for them to sell.

Fanboys can be vocal on forums, and give grades and ratings to games, but these have nearly no impact on games sales. This has been shown again and again. You can rate Madden any way you like, it will sell. You can give Okami the best grade, it won't sell more. And rates are very visible, fanboys rants on forums are not.

It is funny, on these post, the ones that own all systems  very rarely get heated.  The ones that own one system, seem somewhat biased.  I think that if everyone on this post owned all systems, then we wouldnt be having this talk. I always say, respect others and their gaming decisions It is what makes us different and gives us charecter.

I own all except the 360(have the old xbox) I have a stress ridden job, and I enjoy games/cooking to mellow myself out. My wife is the one who is a neat freak and gets upset that my systems are all out in the living room. Fact is we both love to play games. If you only own Playstation, then you might be a younger crowd if you are thats great, if not thats ok too. What I am getting at is, have respect for elders(even in the video game market. If you hate nintendo or sony or who ever, lets look back at the developers for the NES SNES(before Sony and Microsoft) They deserve respect. Nintendo and sega, along with the game developers pioneered the market in the 80's and 90's. I even owned the pioneer laser active the Jaguar and 3do. A lot of times we forget where we came from. You forget that on your Nintendo, xbox or ps2 or 3,those developers created games for nintendo,hmmm    like oh lets say final fantasy....anyone ever hear of that game? Long story, short, If you own a playstation and have played final fantasy, lets not forget where it came from.

I know as soon as I post this , someone will read this, take out one sentance and call me a nintendo fan boy, Just like last time I was accused of being a sony employee and a liar. Just remember this article is about respect. Nothing more, nothing less.

We are all gamers, end of discussion. Why can't we talk more about games, than...Ha Ha Ha my sytem has these graphics or this exclusive. We should be saying, Cool you have it for that system, I wish mine had that, but mine does have this one.

Fanboys, what can you say? Did someone on this board make this video? Fess up Kwaad!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ffHVTMOTfB0

mrstickball said:

It depends. If there were more N-fanboys, yes. Simply and only for the fact that Nintendo systems have a much lower 3rd party tier ratio, and the more N-fanboys (as opposed to Sega, Sony or Microsoft) are rabbid about Nintendo software than if they were a Sony fanboy or Microsoft fanboy.

You can't blame the nintendo fanboys (or loyalists, according to the definition in the initial post) for buying the best games. I think it is widely accepted that nintendo is the best maker of software, at least in some genres. So if you own a nintendo console and have the choice between a nintendo and a third party game, it is often the case that the nintendo game is better. that is why it gets the better sales too.

this is also caused by the fact that gc and n64 had a very poor third party support, which meant that there were just a few aaa third party games on these consoles. i don't know, but i guess third party tier ratio was far higher on the snes than on n64/gc.

at least this is my point of view. i own a lot of third party games, but most of my games are from nintendo. however, i am still able to enjoy good third party games, as my avatar should show you aswell.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

I'm a fanboy, and I still buy 3rd party games on Nintendo. Of the 6 Wii games I own, 2 are made by Nintendo, the other 4 by 3rd parties. That doesn't seem to hurtful to me.

I am Daemon. I am the Word.