By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official MMA Thread 2.0

I'm a MMA fan, just a casual one though. I only watch UFC and even then, it's only the free ones that come on Spike or I'll watch them illegally on the internet. So I don't know if I'm an official "fan" or whatnot, but I thougt I'd post here since it's pretty dead.

Around the Network

The only fights on the Strikeforce Challengers card I'm even remotely interested in are Ryan Coutores and Jason High's since he's got some hype behind him but other than that UFC on Versus overshadows everything else this weekend.

Nate pulled out of his fight with Story.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that Marquardt is a late scratch from Sunday's UFC on Versus 4 event, and opponent Rick Story (13-3 MMA, 6-1 UFC) will now instead meet Charlie Brenneman (12-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) on the evening's main card.

With the late change, a highly-anticipated heavyweight bout between Pat Barry (6-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Cheick Kongo (15-6-2 MMA, 8-4-1 UFC) has now been promoted to main-event status.

The reason for Marquardt's last-minute withdrawal, mere hours before he was scheduled to hit the scales at the event's official weigh-ins, wasn't immediately evident. However, Marquardt's camp did release a statement insisting the setback was temporary and his future still lies at 170 pounds.

"Nate is really disappointed," the statement read. "He really was looking forward to making his welterweight debut, and he plans to be back in there as soon as possible."

I wonder why he pulled out? Maybe it was a weight issue.

Try Gamefly for a month and get another one free!

http://gamefly.tellapal.com/a/clk/406vc

Nate is cut from the UFC roster.

It appears it was PED related and he failed his drug test. He claims he could have made 170 still before he was pulled do to "failed medicals"

wtf? nate took drugs? oh well, there goes a career. bye nate. bahaha.

Around the Network

@bugrimmar

that's the rumor. Nothing is confirmed yet other than he has been released from the UFC and that he "Failed His Medicals" and it wasn't a weight cut issue. Pretty much all sign point to PED's and Nate has been busted for Steroid use before. I mean look how big the guy is and he was trying to cut down to 170 lbs something was going on behind the scenes.

Either way its pretty sad cause he was a very exciting fighter and was always SUPER polite in inteviews and acted like a professional. Either way if it was drug use related I can't really make any excuses for him being cut from the UFC.

Facebook stream for UFC's preliminary card begins today at 6pm ET (3pm Pt).

Did anyone see that come from behind knockout by Cheik Kongo?

That was one of the single most incredible things I've ever seen, I was litteraly standing on the couch screaming "OM MY GOD"

Yes that was impressive, but I was rooting for Barry and I felt disapointed.

Yesterday's card was a mixed bag for me. The Facebook stream had many good fights. I knew Aloe Vera was going to win, but the illegal knee was unfortunate, and tarnished his performance. On the other hand, Stevenson had a terrible fight. He looked like crap, and didn't even seemed to engage in the last round.

The main card was okay. Meathead had an exciting KO (after a questionable standup). Brown surprised me after defeating Howard, and the Story hype train was finaly derrailed. 

is it just me, or were the refs aweful? They were constantly yelling at the fighters "C'mon boys let em' go" or some annoying shit like that. Especially that Chip Snider guy (Didn't saw the Illegal knee)

mexmen92 said:

Yes that was impressive, but I was rooting for Barry and I felt disapointed.

Yesterday's card was a mixed bag for me. The Facebook stream had many good fights. I knew Aloe Vera was going to win, but the illegal knee was unfortunate, and tarnished his performance. On the other hand, Stevenson had a terrible fight. He looked like crap, and didn't even seemed to engage in the last round.

The main card was okay. Meathead had an exciting KO (after a questionable standup). Brown surprised me after defeating Howard, and the Story hype train was finaly derrailed. 

is it just me, or were the refs aweful? They were constantly yelling at the fighters "C'mon boys let em' go" or some annoying shit like that. Especially that Chip Snider guy (Didn't saw the Illegal knee)

I agree with pretty much every single thing you typed actually.  I was rooting for Barry as well but honestly wasn't upset at all just because Kongo earned that shit lol, that right there is showing heart and determination to keep fighting while takeing bombs like that.

And the reffing was pretty damn awful I agree.  WTF was with them constantly telling fighters to work on the ground, when they already were, haveing awful standups, and completly missing illegal knees.  Oh well Murgliatta at the end redeemed the reffing because while at first I thought the fight should have been stopped you can see in the replays Kongo never fully went out and kept scrambling to improve his position even though he was DAMN CLOSE to being KO'd.  Not to mention he proved he was still game by being the one at the end of the fight still standing and not asleep