By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Pictures Hacked, Over 1 Million Accounts Stolen

Mr Khan said:

No significant damage, though it is another black eye for Sony. Investors have to be livid by now

Well, no significant damage as long as you believe piracy doesn't cause lost sales...

when you consider all the free codes taken...

If you did...

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

No significant damage, though it is another black eye for Sony. Investors have to be livid by now

Well, no significant damage as long as you believe piracy doesn't cause lost sales...

If you did...

Eh, if the stolen coupon codes are published, they can all be invalidated by Sony, who should know what was stolen and the only party to whom they are redeemable (i think), and can create a ton of new codes all their own.

They get more damage in any given hour of the day from random bittorrent downloads than they will from this, i think (unless the codes are more broadly redeemable)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

S____M____C____C said:
slowmo said:
Icyedge said:
slowmo said:
S____M____C____C said:

1) It will die down. It always does. 

2) Sony have many, many websites. Don't you think it is unreasonable for them to update the security on all of them in such a short space of time?

3) Consumers are being harmed here, just as much as Sony are. Not being able to play online for a month, and developers losing vital revenue that could be needed for future games.

Yes, Sony did have poor security across all its networks. We've all learnt that. With each hack, we don't exactly learn that anymore. We get the point, the security was crap, now they are fixing it. They will fix, believe you me. And once the 'coolness' of hacking Sony dies away, we will be left with a platform with a secure network.

How is the land of make believe?

His post seemed pretty neutral to me

Number 1 he says that "It will die down. It always does. ", this is particularly true with consumers these days. This doesnt egual to "it doesnt matter if Sony was negligent" though.

Number 2 you cannot upgrade everything at the same time, thats true, particularly if you want it done well and in a coherent way. It could be countered with the argument that they should take down their server until they are though. Both option seems debatable to me.

Number 3 since it hurts their consumers as well as Sony image, its logical to assume they will fix their security issues. It cost a lot less to upgrade the security then to leave it like that, particularly considering they cannot use the "we didnt know" excuse anymore.

I had a particular issue with the following statement

"Yes, Sony did have poor security across all its networks. We've all learnt that. With each hack, we don't exactly learn that anymore. We get the point, the security was crap, now they are fixing it. They will fix, believe you me. And once the 'coolness' of hacking Sony dies away, we will be left with a platform with a secure network."

Nothing I have seen in this entire debacle makes me think the bolded will be true yet.  The burden of proof is on him making that claim to provide evidence this will be so.  It seems so far that is not the case hence why these breaches are continuing and should be broadcast to the public, until Sony do get their act together.  What other news should be censored and swept under the carpet because it's not what we want to hear.  I really don't understand anybody who says this shouldn't be reported, the attitude is most certainly not neutral and shows a heavy bias.  Lets put it another way, if you don't care about this news and are bored then don't enter threads and spout supposition and opinion as fact (this isn't aimed at you btw).

Of course Sony will be fixing the security on all their networks. The attacks have cost them millions, have put a dent in their share price and did some damage to their greatest asset; their brand name.

I understand Sony can be imcompetent on some issues quite frequently, but I assure you the company is not full of retards. You need to be very good to get a job with Sony these days.

As for your other points: You really need evidence to say consumers have been harmed by this whole incident? People didn't get to play their online games for a month and developers lost money - that is harm.

You were out of line being such as smart ass to me, sir. I'm not one of the worst posters here, although of course I have my preferences (as do you).

Think what you will, I do indeed have preferences but then again everybody does.  I do own a PS3 though hence my strong opinion on what has happened.

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

If you did...

Eh, if the stolen coupon codes are published, they can all be invalidated by Sony, who should know what was stolen and the only party to whom they are redeemable (i think), and can create a ton of new codes all their own.

They get more damage in any given hour of the day from random bittorrent downloads than they will from this, i think (unless the codes are more broadly redeemable)

But they claimed they lost all sorts of money the last time they were hacked and had a bunch of codes stolen... takes their download bandwith too... just thinking from THEY'RE point of view.  Or the one they tend to show in the media.

I think it is a fair criticism to say that improvements in Sony security is entirely wishful thinking. The only fair analysis is based upon precedent. No I am not just talking about this string of attacks either. Sony has shown incredibly little in the way of concern for customer safety. From selling compact discs which installed malicious code on customer computers. To batteries that exploded. For Sony safety is obviously not job one, and more often then not they don't seem to make a job of it at all. Seriously they touted actually creating a chief position to oversee security. That is a good thing. However it also highlights the fact that nobody was at the wheel earlier.

For a company of this size to not have a over arching infrastructure, contingency plans, public relations plans, or a staff necessary for self resolution. Speaks to a company that is just short sighted. Cyber terrorism is a real concern. There is no reason that their situation in regards to it could be utterly absent. Will they learn from this short term I do have to agree yes. It is a open wound after all. Will they stick to this after the dust settles. Probably not I am sorry to say. For this to work they must have a long term mindset. Sony seems however to think only in the short term. This is why they keep repeating these public relations disasters.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:

If someone starts a public petition against all these hack attacks then I'll join and get many more to do so. 

As opposed to Sony being more competent in their security?  Petitioning against hack attacks is like pettitioning against crime.  What the heck is a large number of signatures against a crime going to do?  Will people doing criminal activity go, "Golly gee, a lot of people hate what wer are doing... we better stop!"

In regards to the hacks, I guess people want to do their own ME TO's in regards to following up on what Anonymous discussed.