By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sony & Nintendo PASSED on Kinect Tech - Biggest Mistake In Gaming History?

sad.man.loves.vgc said:

The problem is... even if Sony adopted Kinect.. it wouldn't have really taken off.

I mean... look at the eye toy and their first approach to motion controls, it's like it never existed.

I think with all of sony's first party studios we would DEFINITLEY be seeing more PS3 Kinect games.

Although maybe the $500 million marketing budget is party responsible for Kinect's success and  Nintendo or Sony may not have spent that much money

Around the Network

1) Biggest mistake ever? Surely an exaggeration

2) For Nintendo, it wasn't even a mistake at all. The Wiimote has had as much success as Kinect, if not more. The Wii sold at exactly the rate it was produced for years, hence why Kinect outsold it.

3) additionally, Kinect is only great for certain games. The Wiimote is great for all types of games except things like Smash Bros. Nintendo wanted to push motion controls as the major control scheme for the Wii, thus Kinect was not a good choice.

I think you are letting your love for MS blind you of facts.

Only Microsoft had the marketing power to sell the emporor's new clothes.

Just kidding, it's an impressive piece of hardware but unfortunately limited by the usb interface. I haven't seen anything compelling enough to move my 360 to a room where I would actually be able to use it.

It will need a few interesting titles before I'll buy one or I'll get it in 2 years when my kids are old enough to have fun with it.

LivingMetal said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:

Kinect has been a runaway & massive success in every fathomable way.

No, it hasn't.  It has yet to be utilized in hardcore games by itself.

Livingmetal perhaps you haven't seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9f0f6nWa7k

Kinect is on the PC too.  Kinect does hardcore quite well actually with the proper software implementation.

There have been oodles of FPS Games modded for Kinect and those same (or similar) hardcore games will be playable on XBOX 360 by years end.

Imagine Kinect only available on VAIO computers

PizzaFaceGamer said:
LivingMetal said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:

Kinect is on the PC too.  Kinect does hardcore quite well actually with the proper software implementation.

There have been oodles of FPS Games modded for Kinect and those same (or similar) hardcore games will be playable on XBOX 360 by years end.

That's nice, but I'm more of a console gamer.  My favorite genre are RPG's, platformers, survival horror, and action adventure.  So far, Kinect has failed to impress me in this context which happens to include hardcore games in the genres I mentioned.  And why would I imaging Kinect only available on VAIO computers?  I have absolutely on interest in them.  Is there something special about them that makes Kinect more appealing?

Around the Network
PizzaFaceGamer said:

Jay we debating the impact of kinect had sony or nintendo purchased them.  Back in 2010 when we learned sony and nintendo passed on kinect we didn't know how successful it would be.

What? Didn't it sell around 6 million before 2010 was even up? Either way, we knew it was a HIT back in January for sure. Like I said, this thread is a little late.

Let me leave here, for I seem to be interrupting the discussion.

CGI-Quality said:

Kinect's current issue is a lack of software. It was a runaway success in November and December, but these days it's pretty quiet.

Whether or not it was the "biggest mistake in gaming history" to pass on Kinect-type technology is still very much up for debate, but one thing's for sure; it's helping Microsoft stay afloat in YoY %.

Good post.  Like I said before sony is doing fine with move...VERY PROFITABLE on hardware alone and the software sales are the icing on the cake!

I just think Nintendo or Apple would have benefitted GREATLY by purchasing kinect tech before Microsoft got the reject

Also, it's hard to say how kinect is doing sales wise at the moment.  Christmas and Thanksgiving holiday accouunts for 70% - 80% of most businesses sales.  All we can be really sure of is that Kinect seems to be moving Xbox 360 consoles, cuz they sure aren't selling because of Microsoft's exclusive games line-up

LivingMetal said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
LivingMetal said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:

That's nice, but I'm more of a console gamer.  My favorite genre are RPG's, platformers, survival horror, and action adventure.  So far, Kinect has failed to impress me in this context which happens to include hardcore games in the genres I mentioned.  And why would I imaging Kinect only available on VAIO computers?  I have absolutely on interest in them.  Is there something special about them that makes Kinect more appealing?

If sony had bought kinect they could make Kinect exclusive to their own brand of computers.

As far as RPG games, i totally agree with you that there is nothing on the horizon for kinect yet.

Gonna have to wait for Molyneaux and Lionhead studios to make that game....could be a while ;)

There is a survival horror game coming out soon though called Rise of Nightmares

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/086/086600.html

daroamer said:

You do realize most of the tech inside Kinect was developed by Microsoft?

Go read some history on the development of Kinect.

"the tech inside kinect" was wholly developed by an Israely company called PrimeTech. And, surprisingly, they did not sell out to Microsoft (the common mode of MS to acquire tech is  "buy everyone/everything and pretend to have invented it"), as PrimeTexh are still developing it further (with Asus, for example). I'd suggest you follow your own advice after making a total fool out of yourself...

drkohler said:
daroamer said:

You do realize most of the tech inside Kinect was developed by Microsoft?

Go read some history on the development of Kinect.

"the tech inside kinect" was wholly developed by an Israely company called PrimeTech. And, surprisingly, they did not sell out to Microsoft (the common mode of MS to acquire tech is  "buy everyone/everything and pretend to have invented it"), as PrimeTexh are still developing it further (with Asus, for example). I'd suggest you follow your own advice after making a total fool out of yourself...

Actually the company is called PRIMESENSE

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/19/kinect-how-it-works-from-the-company-behind-the-tech/

@daroamer  - I totally agree with you!! I would not be surprised to see PrimeSense license their technology to Nintendo & Sony in the near future.  It would be smart for them to make more money!

Microsoft is dumb for not buying PrimeSense a long time ago.  Instead they waste their money on Skype, Danger, Kin, and Massive.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=111008

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-shutting-down-280-million-acquisition-2010-10