By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sony & Nintendo PASSED on Kinect Tech - Biggest Mistake In Gaming History?

MARCUSDJACKSON said:

well we will see as Move has sold 8m kinect over 10m and apple is selling Mac's so everybody wins?

Move has not sold anywhere near 8 million, where do you get this figure at..

Around the Network
Oblivion86 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

well we will see as Move has sold 8m kinect over 10m and apple is selling Mac's so everybody wins?

Sony, VGC, you name it

osamanobama said:
Oblivion86 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

Sony, VGC, you name it

That's shipped not sold, last I heard last month they were at 4 million sold, and Sony has literally put nothing out besides the fail that was Socom 4. So yeah they are nowhere near 8 million.

Sony's biggest mistake was in saying no to Bungie back in the PS2 days.

there is a pretty direct correlation between advertising and sales volume. So it's not entirely unexplainable.

In fact, I think I remember that deal at target or walmart giving like 150$ store credit for buying the kinect bundle. Secondly, while it is a gaming product a great many people are using it simply as a pc peripheral. My friend has two, both hooked up to pcs, and there are many thousands using them for open source software. I'm not trying to downplay its success, but it's not even a year since release.

I've yet to see what the sales numbers are, but while it sold the most, the fastest, I'd venture that it's currently being outsold by the iPad. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

Around the Network

Nintendo has made  more money doing it their way compared to the other doing it theirs. So as I see it it wasn't that important. The biggest mistake in history is Nintendo not working with Sony to make the CD addon.

Just because someone is saying something different. Doesn't mean their point of view is right!

Member Of The Wii Squad: Warriors of Light!

One of the 4 Yonkou of Youtube aka Wii Warlords. Other Members include ThaBlackBaron, Shokio, and Cardy.

PizzaFaceGamer said:

I agree with many of your points!!

Yes I have played the Move and it was enjoyable but very similar to Wii.

I didn't get the sense of Magic I got when I tried Kinect for the first time. 

Also, Kinect is VERY INTUITIVE!  There is virutally no learning curve and it is easy to "Jump In'

In response to "What saves the Move is it can be a harcore game controller as well as the Kiddie/arcade type games that has made the Kinect so successful" - I can only say that NEITHER of Kinect's best selling games are Kiddie, nor are they arcade.

Kinect Sports 3 million sold

Dance Central 2.5 million sold

Your Shape Fitness Evolved almost 1 million sold

No offense, but Kinect Sports is kiddie/family oriented. I'm not saying you can't have an amazing time playing it, but the simple truth is it is kiddie/family oriented.

Dance Central is totally an arcade style game.  It has single player dancing where you try for a high score, a 2 player mode where you compete against each other, a workout mode, and a challenge mode.  It has less "campaign" in it than the guitar heroes have (which are also totally arcade style games) for goodness sakes.

Your Shape Fitness Evolved isn't Kiddie nor Arcade style, but it still isn't "hardcore," which is what he says Move can be more compatible with.  It is an exercise "game".  Amazing idea, and it is wonderful that so many people have purchased it in order to get some good exercise, but one may even provide the argument that this doesn't qualify as a "game."  Yes, it is on a video game console, but is exercising truthfully a "game?"

------------------

Now, I'm not saying Kinect isn't a great thing, because it looks pretty damned awesome and has become extremely popular when it comes to Xbox 360 owners, I just felt the examples you provided were a little weak.

------------------

In respect to Sony or Nintendo getting Kinect: Nintendo already has motion, and I really don't know that they need Kinect.  Wii Motion Plus is already pretty sweet for the necessary motions, and I feel like something such as Kinect would be a pretty expensive periphreal for a company I have come to see as being on the cheaper side in regards to how much it costs to get their system (referring towards the Gamecube and Wii).

In regards to Playstation, I would agree with others I don't think it would sell quite as much on PS3 as it did on 360, however, I still think it would outsell what the Move is doing.  But that isn't to say there would necessarily be more profit involved in it.  Not sure about R&D costs, but there is no way in hell Sony has the insanely huge advertising budget for the Move that Kinect has.

Just some points you have to think of.  There are decisions such as this that companies have to decide on all the time, and sometimes a company is going to make a big mistake.  Rather than dread that mistake for years to come, however, they need to continue on with their business, and try not making the same mistake next time.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Cirio said:

Sony said no to Bungie?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I need buttons

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Baalzamon said:
Cirio said:

Sony said no to Bungie?

Yes. They refused to fund for the Halo project. I'm too lazy to find a link but Bungie first approached Sony, but after being rejected, Microsoft offered to fund the game.