By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sony & Nintendo PASSED on Kinect Tech - Biggest Mistake In Gaming History?

Thanks for all the responses

I think APPLE is the one that REALLY MISSED the boat here.

Kinect could have been Apple's golden ticket back into gaming. 

Plus Apple has 60 billion in cash on hand!!! 

The cost of Kinect would be a rounding error

Around the Network

You do realize most of the tech inside Kinect was developed by Microsoft?

Go read some history on the development of Kinect.

Didn't we already know this back in 2010?

It probably wasn't the biggest mistake in Gaming history, but you are pretty late sir.

You should have made this thread a few months ago when Kinect was stronger and people were still in shock from its success

PizzaFaceGamer said:

Kinect has been a runaway & massive success in every fathomable way.

No, it hasn't.  It has yet to be utilized in hardcore games by itself.

osamanobama said:

well as a gamer, i couldnt be more happy that Sony passed on Kinect. i am very very glad the went the way of Move, i can play games i actually like with the Move. If they went the kinect route, i couldnt. also with the Move Sony can still focus on their big blockbuster titles with out sacraficing development teams and time making seperate experiences which is a neccessity for Kinect games.

if i were an executive or share holder, i may prefer the Kinect, just for the profitabilty of it.

though i dont think Sony could have come close to making the same impact as Microsoft did, even if they were the ones who made kinect and made the exact same games instead. Microsft just has too big of a following in America, and if Sony had released the product it would have been less successful than the Move.

What saves the Move is it can be a harcore game controller as well as the Kiddie/arcade type games that has made the Kinect so successful

I agree with many of your points!!

Yes I have played the Move and it was enjoyable but very similar to Wii.

I didn't get the sense of Magic I got when I tried Kinect for the first time. 

Also, Kinect is VERY INTUITIVE!  There is virutally no learning curve and it is easy to "Jump In'

In response to "What saves the Move is it can be a harcore game controller as well as the Kiddie/arcade type games that has made the Kinect so successful" - I can only say that NEITHER of Kinect's best selling games are Kiddie, nor are they arcade.

Kinect Sports 3 million sold

Dance Central 2.5 million sold

Your Shape Fitness Evolved almost 1 million sold

Around the Network

The problem is... even if Sony adopted Kinect.. it wouldn't have really taken off.

I mean... look at the eye toy and their first approach to motion controls, it's like it never existed.

LivingMetal said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:

Was that one of their goals?  You can't fail at something you never aspired to accomplish.

Im glad Sony passed it on and focused on amazing titles, ive not seen a decent hardcore title that has amazin gameplay for kinect, and last time i checked i have a penis down my pants so i won't be playing any of the dance games or Fit classes and im not 12 so No thank you to the rubber Dingy rappids, and no i dont want to see the bottom of my avatars shoe......Not for £128

Jay520 said:

Didn't we already know this back in 2010? It probably wasn't the biggest mistake in Gaming history, but you are pretty late sir

Jay we debating the impact of kinect had sony or nintendo purchased them.  Back in 2010 when we learned sony and nintendo passed on kinect we didn't know how successful it would be.

I personally though Kinect would be a failure because of the crappy demos they showed, the infamous BAM at E3, and the bad word of mouth about LAG and no games.

daroamer said:
LivingMetal said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:

Was that one of their goals?  You can fail at something you never aspired to accomplish.

I never said it was one of their goals.  But it certainly wasn't "a runaway & massive success in every fathomable way."  Context, baby.  Context.