Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sony & Nintendo PASSED on Kinect Tech - Biggest Mistake In Gaming History?

CGI-Quality said:

What makes them the same? I'm all ears.

I would rather eat glass than playing either one of them. That makes them the same.

Your turn.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
CGI-Quality said:

What makes them the same? I'm all ears.

I would rather eat glass than playing either one of them. That makes them the same.

Your turn.

You wait your turn!

Nah seriously though, of course as adventure titles they have their similarities, but I wouldn't call them the same per se. First off, Kinect Adventures has no hot babes or chain-cigar smoking side-kicks!



                                                                                                             

So that's why the 360 is constantly the last of the three home consoles? In all seriousness, Kinect has been fairly successful but right now I don't see it as a very big threat to the PS3 and Wii. It could change but at this point, I doubt it. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what MS has to offer at E3 next week.



Mr Puggsly said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

A small part of me dioed from laughing at this thread. xD kenect did well because it was given a stupidly huge marketing champain. Ever heard of a PSP eye? same tech just a little less powerfull ^^

If it just took a "stupidly huge marketing champain" to make something a success than I think we would see more "stupidly huge marketing champain(s)". You need to accept the Kinect is a hit because its cutting edge technology that appealed to the masses.

The PS Eye is literally a webcam. The Kinect uses a couple cameras, infrared, and some other wacky technology. Hardly the "same tech."

Everythign does have a stupidly big marketing budget rofl (if its backed up by a super large compony). The ps3, wii, 360 etc etc they all do. Obv a lot of companys cant becauser they dotn have the money but kinect had a 500 million champain. ps eye i have never seen on TV. I'm not sayign that PS eye has betetr tech but im sayignt he concept of playign without a controler has been around forever. If sony had pushed PSeye back in the ps2 era as hard as MS did this gen with kinect it would probably have been very big (for its time atleast).

You have to remmeber that though these companies do has huge amounts of money to spend they still have to keep within reason. MS decided to spend a lot fo there money o kinect instead on the actual 360 consol where as nintendo and sony decided to continue backing there actual consoles. 



Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Mr Puggsly said:
Rafux said:

Biggest Mistake In Gaming History? No.

PS3's 600$ launch price and Nintendo losing third party support because of lack of CD storage rank higher in my opinion.

Agreed on PS3. Not only is it the biggest financial disaster ever, it also allowed competitors to thrive.

The Nintendo CD storage thing. Are you referring to Gamecube? Quite frankly I don't think it was a big deal. Lack of exclusive support was due to the poor sales of the console.

I meant Nintendo 64, they lost Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Dragon Quest and Resident Evil just to name a few.



Around the Network

While I'm certain I'm going to repeat a lot of what others have said ...

 

Sony probably passed on Kinect because, while their implementations are different, conceptually Kinect isn't that much different from what Sony has been trying to do with the Eye Toy and Playstation Eye; and they were probably more interested in their "answer" to the Wiimote (PS Move) than a better implemetation of the Eye Toy.

With Nintendo I think there was two major reasons, they believed that Motion Plus was a reasonable short term fix to the problems with the Wiimote and they had a better user interface idea in development. Whether the system is better or not, I suspect that Project Cafe's user interface will make it clear why Nintendo ignored Kinect.



Kinect is a sucess so far but i don't care much for it. I don't think Nintendo or Sony made a mistake on passing on it but Apple could of bought if they were really interested in it. 



Chibi.V.29 said:

Everythign does have a stupidly big marketing budget rofl (if its backed up by a super large compony). The ps3, wii, 360 etc etc they all do. Obv a lot of companys cant becauser they dotn have the money but kinect had a 500 million champain. ps eye i have never seen on TV. I'm not sayign that PS eye has betetr tech but im sayignt he concept of playign without a controler has been around forever. If sony had pushed PSeye back in the ps2 era as hard as MS did this gen with kinect it would probably have been very big (for its time atleast).

You have to remmeber that though these companies do has huge amounts of money to spend they still have to keep within reason. MS decided to spend a lot fo there money o kinect instead on the actual 360 consol where as nintendo and sony decided to continue backing there actual consoles. 

You get technical by saying they all have big budgets if backed by a big company. But then you go back to the same stupid argument implying Kinect is only a success because of big marketing.

PS Eye (and eyetoy) are too limited because they are just webcams. Almost all the games involve you staring at an image of your self and smacking objects. You couldn't produce games similar to Dance Central, Kinectimals, Joyride, or Kinect Sports on a simple webcam. There was nothing for Sony to push.

Nobody is saying Kinect is the first time cameras were used for gaming. But MS took it to the next level and people took notice.

You say MS spent money on the Kinect and not the console. Last I checked the Kinect requires the console. Hence, they did spend money on the console. Kinect boosted console sales significantly and brought a more diverse audience to the 360. Sony tried to do the same with Move but it failed. I'd hardly say Nintendo is backing their console. They've pretty much thrown in the towel with Wii as they are getting ready to launch a new console.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

The biggest mistake in gaming history is when Nintendo backed out of their deal with Sony to create an add-on for the SNES called the Nintendo Play Station.



Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Rafux said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Rafux said:

Biggest Mistake In Gaming History? No.

PS3's 600$ launch price and Nintendo losing third party support because of lack of CD storage rank higher in my opinion.

Agreed on PS3. Not only is it the biggest financial disaster ever, it also allowed competitors to thrive.

The Nintendo CD storage thing. Are you referring to Gamecube? Quite frankly I don't think it was a big deal. Lack of exclusive support was due to the poor sales of the console.

I meant Nintendo 64, they lost Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Dragon Quest and Resident Evil just to name a few.

Oh, right. N64 would have been a much bigger success had it used discs.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)